EMC

2.8

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at EMC.

It was a 1 hr on-site interview. 45 minutes with 1st interviewer. then 15 minutes with the second person. Mainly they wanted to know was about the projects I did. They had already filled that position. I dont know why they didnt cancelled mine then. They were encouraging me to apply for more positions in EMC itself, by saying "evenif you dont get this position, dont stop applying to EMC. you are good".

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at EMC in April 2014.

Screening interview with recruiter - asked basic questions that other websites covered online. Would not let me move past salary expectations - then said that i should think of this as a "lateral" move.... I assume that means my experience from a prior position has no relevance if they weren't offering a salary increase.

Associate Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EMC in November 2013.

Met two recruiters at school career fair. 4 interview events total- 1 at the career fair, 2 after driving to an office location (1 in-person and 1 on phone, 30-45 min each), 7 speed-dating style interviews at their headquarters in a room of over 30 people (30-35 min each- pretty exhausting, but everyone was friendly and they kept us hydrated/fed), then one follow-up phone interview (30 mins).

Interview Questions
    • -Some stats you should know if you've done research on the company before going in for the interview: CEO, market cap., P/E, share price, etc.
      -What makes you qualified for this program and position?
      -Give me an example of how you know how to problem-solve.
      -Give me an example of real work experience you've had working in finance. What were you trying to achieve in that project?

Answer Question
    No negotiation phase at all.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at EMC in November 2013.

EMC HR recruiter found me on LinkedIn. Called me for a brief interview and then I was called into the Santa Clara office for an interview with the hiring manager. Later spoke with four others in the company via phone interviews. Was scheduled with a fifth person, who on two occasions, never made the call. I emailed the HR person regarding the non phone call. She never responded, I have also emailed her as to inquire about the position. Never received any reply, especially when I wasted a lot of time on phone interviews ad waiting for phone calls that never came. Very poor and unprofessional way to handle a candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really - just asked about prior experience. The people I interviewed with were very friendly and professional.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Applied online and contacted by the recruiter via email.

Interview Questions
    • Applied to a job posting that was relevant to my education and professional experience. I was really interested in the position since EMC is a great technology company and is led by a well-respected management team.

A few weeks later, I was contacted by a recruiter via email. On our very first email exchange, he threw out a salary number that was a lot lower than the average offered by other large tech companies. He said that we could talk only if I accept the amount. I wanted to learn more about the position and the growth potential since they may justify the low salary. The guy replied that there was no conversation unless I accept the amount. I told him that I understand the expectation. He has not replied since.

Terrible recruiting experience. Didn't even get to speak to the hiring manager.

Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at EMC in November 2012.

The interview process consisted of an initial phone screen with the recruiter, phone interview with the hiring manager and 2 sets of onsite round of interviews. I had applied online to their job posting and the recruiter reached out for an initial phone screen. After about a week, I was scheduled to speak with the hiring manager for about 45 minutes. The phone interview was basically to learn about my work experience, background and details around the specific job position/team at the company.

I did a follow-up with the recruiter on my phone interview, and I was informed that the hiring manager liked my candidacy and wanted to invite me for the first round of onsite interviews. The first onsite consisted of 45 minute interviews with 4 people (hiring manager, 2 co-workers and business partner supporting that role). Most of the interviews were situational (case study types) and consisted of asking me about my previous work experience and how I would be a good fit to the team. There were a couple of technical questions around corporate finance/FP&A (P/L basics and how different industry have different P/L structures etc.), budgeting and planning process, and some basic accounting knowledge questions. The interviewers were knowledgeable and seemed genuinely interested in talking and learning about me.

After about a week or 10 days, I was contacted by the recruiter for another (final) round of onsite interviews. It was for 1.5 hours (2 people each for 45 mins). I met with the HR person, and my hiring manager's boss. The HR person asked very general, basic HR questions about why I want to work for EMC, what are my long term goals, what interested me particularly about this opportunity etc. The final interview with the manager of the hiring manager was a little more tough. The questions included more on my decisions made in the past (movement from one job to another and what motivated me to make the change), what kind of value-add or contributions I could bring to role, some general finance and behavioral questions as well.
    I felt the interviews went great, and got a similar response from the recruiter and team (when I send out thank you notes). I was contacted by the recruiter after a few days saying I was one of the top candidates and we discussed about salary and benefits. A few days later the recruiter contacted me and came back with a lame excuse that they were still considering others for the role and the hiring manager wanted to continue interviewing others. I wasn't offered any other explanation or feedback for my rejection after reaching the final round. Nevertheless, it was overall a good experience interviewing with EMC.

Interview Questions
    • How would you resolve a conflict within a team?   Answer Question
    • Case Study Q: By looking at income statements of different cos. (different industry), identify them   Answer Question
    • How would you estimate the total number of checked bags going through an airport in a day? (This was more to test the rational thinking and how one breaks up a problem, and goes through a logical thought process)   Answer Question
    • How do you influence your business partners to buy-in into your views/ideas?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EMC in August 2012.

It was really nice. They wanted to kick start a new project and I had a good ex on that. They interviewed me on that ex, and then since i already knew their systems before hand as i had worked on it, there were not many question asked on that.

Ok

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at EMC in March 2012.

The onsite interview started with a project description by the hiring manager. Then 4 engineers from the group and other groups will have a one-on-one talk with you. Most of questions are about programming skills, and they will ask you to write source code on a whiteboard. One interviewer asked a technical question about how to address a challenging problem in practical environments. My suggestion is, to be prepared, especially on programming skills. Better to have some practice of writing code on a whiteboard before the onsite interview.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at EMC in March 2012.

The interview went well but was told after that my skills doesn't fit with the job requirement. I was surprised because if my skills didn't match, they should not have setup the interview wasting 4 hours of my time and the interviewer's time.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever have to let an employee go? How did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at EMC in February 2012.

The process was very friendly with input all along the way in a timely manner. The people involved during the interview process were were knowledgeable and accommodating. I was involved in a phone interview followed by in-person rounds which took place pretty quickly.