EMC

EMC Senior Financial Analyst Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at EMC in November 2012.

The interview process consisted of an initial phone screen with the recruiter, phone interview with the hiring manager and 2 sets of onsite round of interviews. I had applied online to their job posting and the recruiter reached out for an initial phone screen. After about a week, I was scheduled to speak with the hiring manager for about 45 minutes. The phone interview was basically to learn about my work experience, background and details around the specific job position/team at the company.

I did a follow-up with the recruiter on my phone interview, and I was informed that the hiring manager liked my candidacy and wanted to invite me for the first round of onsite interviews. The first onsite consisted of 45 minute interviews with 4 people (hiring manager, 2 co-workers and business partner supporting that role). Most of the interviews were situational (case study types) and consisted of asking me about my previous work experience and how I would be a good fit to the team. There were a couple of technical questions around corporate finance/FP&A (P/L basics and how different industry have different P/L structures etc.), budgeting and planning process, and some basic accounting knowledge questions. The interviewers were knowledgeable and seemed genuinely interested in talking and learning about me.

After about a week or 10 days, I was contacted by the recruiter for another (final) round of onsite interviews. It was for 1.5 hours (2 people each for 45 mins). I met with the HR person, and my hiring manager's boss. The HR person asked very general, basic HR questions about why I want to work for EMC, what are my long term goals, what interested me particularly about this opportunity etc. The final interview with the manager of the hiring manager was a little more tough. The questions included more on my decisions made in the past (movement from one job to another and what motivated me to make the change), what kind of value-add or contributions I could bring to role, some general finance and behavioral questions as well.
I felt the interviews went great, and got a similar response from the recruiter and team (when I send out thank you notes). I was contacted by the recruiter after a few days saying I was one of the top candidates and we discussed about salary and benefits. A few days later the recruiter contacted me and came back with a lame excuse that they were still considering others for the role and the hiring manager wanted to continue interviewing others. I wasn't offered any other explanation or feedback for my rejection after reaching the final round. Nevertheless, it was overall a good experience interviewing with EMC.

Interview Questions
  • How would you resolve a conflict within a team?   Answer Question
  • Case Study Q: By looking at income statements of different cos. (different industry), identify them   Answer Question
  • How would you estimate the total number of checked bags going through an airport in a day? (This was more to test the rational thinking and how one breaks up a problem, and goes through a logical thought process)   Answer Question
  • How do you influence your business partners to buy-in into your views/ideas?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for EMC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at EMC in April 2011.

About a total of 45 minutes of phone screening in two phone calls with HR rep. When I arrived at office for face-to-face interviews, I met with hiring manager and his supervisor separately. Both stated they have been searching to fill this role for over seven months! When I asked if this was a new position, both gave me a different answer (one said "no" and the other said "yes"). This revealed to me that I think they are not quite sure what they need or what they are looking for. Regardless of who they hire for this role, I doubt if they will be satisfied. Also, may be an indication of lack of communication between the two interviewers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at EMC in May 2009.

They called me to set up an interview.
    I interviewd with 3 people on the 1 st interview. It was a good interview very basic questions Why EMC?
    Why do you want to leave current job? What are you doing currently in your job? what are your goals...etc

2 nd interview with other group members. Was more like meeting them.