EMC Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2015

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied the position online. HR contacted me after some time and sent me a screening doc. I finished it very soon. Then an onsite interview was scheduled. I expected a half day or a whole day interview, however, to my surprise, the interview took only half an hour with the hiring manager that day. After about one week, the hiring manager himself contacted me and scheduled me the follow-up interviews.
As to my experience, the hiring process was a mass. However, the hiring manager was very nice.

Interview Questions

• My program crashes, please enumerate all possible causes.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for EMC

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at EMC in October 2014.

Interview

Had two technical phone interviews. I had good experience with the first person, who was very nice. The second person was rude and even though I answered all his questions correctly, I have not heard back again and did not answer my follow up email.

Interview Questions

• Given an array A of integers (with arbitrary order), and an integer value m, find two elements of A whose sum is m.   1 Answer
    • How to prove that there are infinite number of prime numbers   1 Answer
    • Implementing an index for a storage system.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

highly varied - no standard procedure is followed. no follow up. one gets treated badly at times. the interviewers also ask weird questions - poor hiring process. the people are good - process is broken

Interview Questions

• very specific technology question.....from the bygone era   Answer Question

Negotiation

take it or leave it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EMC (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

It was really nice. They wanted to kick start a new project and I had a good ex on that. They interviewed me on that ex, and then since i already knew their systems before hand as i had worked on it, there were not many question asked on that.

Negotiation

Ok

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at EMC (San Jose, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

The onsite interview started with a project description by the hiring manager. Then 4 engineers from the group and other groups will have a one-on-one talk with you. Most of questions are about programming skills, and they will ask you to write source code on a whiteboard. One interviewer asked a technical question about how to address a challenging problem in practical environments. My suggestion is, to be prepared, especially on programming skills. Better to have some practice of writing code on a whiteboard before the onsite interview.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at EMC (Cambridge, MA) in September 2011.

Interview

Was contacted by the recruiter, had an initial phone screen with the hiring manager and was invited for a 1:1 interview. Met with the team members 1:1, had a quick tour of the office.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most challenging project that you have worked on.   Answer Question
    • Pros and Cons of Java Server Faces, Spring framework, design patterns   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at EMC (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

There was one telephonic interview with the Hiring manager which involved writing code over collabedit. I was asked to print all the nodes in a graph. Next, was onsite interview which had 6 rounds concentrating on data structures, operating system concepts like multi-threading, proocess synchronization.

Interview Questions

• questions on queue implementation, graph traversal, multi-threaded programming, synchronization, string manipulation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EMC (Nashua, NH) in August 2010.

Interview

Had 3 telephonic interviews with the team members. Then had one on one interview with 2 team members and hiring manager.

Basic data structures, coding, debugging in C/C++ were the questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the logical error in the Linkedlist reversal program (the program was given). Need to use the gdb tool to debug and correct the program.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at EMC (Fort Collins, CO) in April 2010.

Interview

the process for hiring and interview took me six months due to the post position switched back and forth to this site a few time. The interview itself went smoothly. The interviewer was knowlegable and nice.

Interview Questions

• Try to work on a question which I didn't fully understand.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted a total package from HR recruter.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at EMC.

Interview

Easy and Quick.
    Not a tough interview to crack.
    Friendly people to talk to. Overall 2 weeks process and HR round. You can negotiate your salary little bit if they are in hurry to hire

Interview Questions

• General Design Patterns and Architecture related questions   Answer Question