EMC

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bedford, MA

I applied online and interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – 1 round of technical phone interview and 3 hours of face to face interview with 3 people.

Interview Question – A Logical Puzzle   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very reasonable.

Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – I had applied online and I received an email from the HR to schedule a phone interview. There were 2 phone interviews -

The first phone interview -
Not a coding round
There were a lot of questions on Java (Inner classes, collections (list and set differences) etc. ), OOPS, multithreading (semaphore, mutex, deadlock, race condition), BST search and insert complexity (how does the worst case complexity occur in all the cases)

Second Phone Interview - Coding round
Binary Search
Singleton Pattern (In all ways)
Reverse a Linked List

On-site (3 rounds and a manager round)
Round 1 - general technical discussion and resume drilling
Round 2 - Producer Consumer problem, multithreading concepts
Round 3 - Java concepts, maximum contiguous sum in an array (and extension to that)
Round 4 - discussion with the manager regarding the role, etc.

Interview Question – Factory Design Pattern   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at EMC in December 2010.

Interview Details – resume submission, telephonic interview and then the onsite interview and finally offer

Pleasanton, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EMC in September 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process was quite transparent.. The interviewer were good at testing the skills and problem solving capabilities of candidates.. The positions were properly described to the candidates and asked about choices of working.. Candidates background was well analyzed and matched with profile before interview.. The problems asked during interview were innovative and designed to test the skills of candidate.. I liked the interview process.. HR approached the selected candidates with mails and phone calls..

Interview Question – In your past work experience, did you ever come across major development problems and if yes, how did you resolve that?   Answer Question

Hopkinton, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC in June 2010.

Interview Details – Not too much. They tried to find out if you have the common knowledge with them.
If you do, then they will thumb up. Otherwise, you are out.

Interview Question – What is the singleton pattern?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate. Their salary is quite open.
Either you join or not. They really don't care.

Hopkinton, MA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EMC in February 2012.

Interview Details – It first consisted of pure technical screening round. Then, second phone interview round was a panel phone screen, which was also technical. Then, they called me for an on-site interview. I might have met 7-8 people. Interview was mostly group of 2 interview. It was a mixed bag, some were non-technical, some where pure technical . Asked me to write some codes and candidates were expected to have thorough knowledge of c++ concepts.

Within 2-3 days of my onsite interview, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The salary was more than what I had expected, so i really did not negotiate. I took up the offer! They have a great benefits package.

Very Easy Interview

Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC in December 2010.

Interview Details – Interviews were very easy and hiring happened even before you knew you were done with the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What projects have you done at your academic institution?   Answer Question
  • How can you check if a given number is a power of 2 using minimum amount of code?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes. EMC does accept some negotiation. So, try your luck!

Software Engineer II

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at EMC in March 2012.

Interview Details – From the perspective of a recent college grad: the hiring process begins with a phone screen, basic in nature with topics such as what the company does, what the position entails, some soft skills questions, etc. Another phone screen occurs a couple weeks after, this one more technical in nature asking about programming concepts in a programming language the interviewee is comfortable with and some general programming knowledge.

After this is an invitation to interview in person, on-site. This is a two hour or longer interview that is conducted by multiple interviewers. Some interviewers test soft skills, others technical knowledge. Interviewees may be asked to solve problems with psuedo-code or demonstrate execution of algorithms. After some time an offer may be extended to the interviewee.

Interview Question – Questions regarding the scalabilty and efficiency of an algorithm or method.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at EMC

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!

EMC Videos

EMC – Why Work for Us?

A passion for learning, innovating and success EMC is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver information technology as a service (ITaaS). Fundamental to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMC Software Engineer II interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by EMC employees and interview candidates.