EMC Software Engineer II Interview Questions

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at EMC (Research Triangle Park, NC) in June 2014.

Interview

3 technical phone interviews followed by single 1-on-1 interview. The questions were mostly java oriented and focussed on my previous internship work and tested my technical communication skills. The process tested my knowledge of java and I had some upper edge because I had done an internship at EMC previously. This helped me demonstrate the work I did and thus helped me a lot.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult if can talk fluently about everything on your resume. It is very important because I was specially asked on projects I had put on my resume and given scenarios and told to explain how I would implement those in my projects.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Standard package for new grads.

Other Interview Reviews for EMC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EMC (Bedford, MA).

Interview

1 round of technical phone interview and 3 hours of face to face interview with 3 people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very reasonable.

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at EMC (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

I had applied online and I received an email from the HR to schedule a phone interview. There were 2 phone interviews - The first phone interview - Not a coding round There were a lot of questions on Java (Inner classes, collections (list and set differences) etc. ), OOPS, multithreading (semaphore, mutex, deadlock, race condition), BST search and insert complexity (how does the worst case complexity occur in all the cases) Second Phone Interview - Coding round Binary Search Singleton Pattern (In all ways) Reverse a Linked List On-site (3 rounds and a manager round) Round 1 - general technical discussion and resume drilling Round 2 - Producer Consumer problem, multithreading concepts Round 3 - Java concepts, maximum contiguous sum in an array (and extension to that) Round 4 - discussion with the manager regarding the role, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

It first consisted of pure technical screening round. Then, second phone interview round was a panel phone screen, which was also technical. Then, they called me for an on-site interview. I might have met 7-8 people. Interview was mostly group of 2 interview. It was a mixed bag, some were non-technical, some where pure technical . Asked me to write some codes and candidates were expected to have thorough knowledge of c++ concepts. Within 2-3 days of my onsite interview, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Concepts of Computer Architecture. Was asked about the activity graph of the disk driver.   Answer Question
    • Major concepts of c++ inside and out.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary was more than what I had expected, so i really did not negotiate. I took up the offer! They have a great benefits package.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EMC (Pleasanton, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Hiring process was quite transparent.. The interviewer were good at testing the skills and problem solving capabilities of candidates.. The positions were properly described to the candidates and asked about choices of working.. Candidates background was well analyzed and matched with profile before interview.. The problems asked during interview were innovative and designed to test the skills of candidate.. I liked the interview process.. HR approached the selected candidates with mails and phone calls..

Interview Questions

• In your past work experience, did you ever come across major development problems and if yes, how did you resolve that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EMC (Raleigh, NC) in December 2010.

Interview

Interviews were very easy and hiring happened even before you knew you were done with the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What projects have you done at your academic institution?   Answer Question
    • How can you check if a given number is a power of 2 using minimum amount of code?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes. EMC does accept some negotiation. So, try your luck!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at EMC (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

resume submission, telephonic interview and then the onsite interview and finally offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinton, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EMC (Hopkinton, MA) in June 2010.

Interview

Not too much. They tried to find out if you have the common knowledge with them. If you do, then they will thumb up. Otherwise, you are out.

Interview Questions

• What is the singleton pattern?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate. Their salary is quite open. Either you join or not. They really don't care.

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at EMC in March 2012.

Interview

From the perspective of a recent college grad: the hiring process begins with a phone screen, basic in nature with topics such as what the company does, what the position entails, some soft skills questions, etc. Another phone screen occurs a couple weeks after, this one more technical in nature asking about programming concepts in a programming language the interviewee is comfortable with and some general programming knowledge. After this is an invitation to interview in person, on-site. This is a two hour or longer interview that is conducted by multiple interviewers. Some interviewers test soft skills, others technical knowledge. Interviewees may be asked to solve problems with psuedo-code or demonstrate execution of algorithms. After some time an offer may be extended to the interviewee.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding the scalabilty and efficiency of an algorithm or method.   Answer Question