EMC

Average Difficulty
35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – 3 rounds

Interview Question – Coding question, design question, programming   Answer Question

Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EMC in April 2013.

Interview Details – Had two phone interviews. First one was an initial HR round followed by an interview with a Senior Software Engineer to assess interest and expertise in various areas. This was folllowed by 6 rounds of onsite interview at the RTP facility.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EMC in May 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview processes were very straight forward. I was contacted by HR for an initial phone screening before being contacted by the hiring manager for another experience screening (essentially wanting to hear about what I did at previous jobs/projects work on). They then brought me in for an onsite interview which took almost a full work day before giving me an offer a couple days later. The whole process took about two weeks.

Interview Question – I was given an hour, a computer with a set up environment, and an hour to create as much of a "database system". The general idea was to create a program that allowed users to interact through a command prompt interface and create/modify new and existing "databases" in the form of xml documents. The problem was intimidating at first, but once broken down into steps it really wasn't too bad.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – EMC sent me a benefits package to look over, as well as a base salary and additional bonuses. The offer was significantly higher than I expected, and any other companies had offered up to that point. I took it without hesitation.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – Met them at the career fair. They called me for an interview after 2 days

Interview Question – gave me case study on database with 5billion records indexed with B+-tree. Asked me to identify a data structure that can determine if the record exists or not before parsing the tree.

Garbage collection in java
  Answer Question

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details – Met some recruiter at some conference and he forward my resume to some HR guy who wasn't eve interested in calling me. When he finally did, we didn't even talk for 3 minutes.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details – Nice place to interview .After initial phone screen was invited for face to face . Met all the team members. interview took one day.

Interview Question – Technical questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – was referred by a friend and got a phone interview scheduled within 1 week.

Interview Question – was asked about perm gen in java.   View Answer

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details – Contact via email to set up a talk. I expect it would be a talk with HR. But, it turned out to be a technical interview. I didn't prepare for that. I was asked about very low-level C programming questions, such as address computation and pointers. The interview process is really bad.

Interview Question – Low-level C is difficult for me. I rarely use that   Answer Question

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details – Basic computer science questions and questions based of the resume

Negotiation Details – Very little joined as a fresher.

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at EMC.

Interview Details – There was a written test which mainly tested on aptitude. Then there was the technical round of interview which focused on concepts; I was asked to write a program to implement binary search tree and other OOPS related concepts. Some folks were asked database heavy questions. Then the final HR interview which was just a formality.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Expect to be tested on concepts   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at EMC

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!

EMC Videos

EMC – Why Work for Us?

A passion for learning, innovating and success EMC is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver information technology as a service (ITaaS). Fundamental to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMC Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 35 interview reviews posted anonymously by EMC employees and interview candidates.