EMC Technical Support Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014

3.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Support Engineer I Interview

Phone Interview, then two interviews at facility with managers, then several background checks including a drug test, then verbal offer, then official offer (these were discussed with a recruiter over the phone). After accepting, I received a start date.

Other Interview Reviews for EMC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EMC in March 2012.

EMC is more worried about soft skills in the interview rather than technical expertise. The better your expertise the better the salary and position. However, without the soft skills you will not work here. I was picked up by an internal EMC recruiter then contacted by her for a 1:1 interview. She met me and walked me in to a 2:1 session. Afterwards I was asked to come back in for a final interview. It was to be 2:1 again but the person opt'd to go 1:1.

Interview Questions
    • Most positions require RAID, networking, enterprise storage knowledge. They will ask you how much you know about EMC. They like it if you know their history a little bit.   View Answer
    They sent an email (pdf) with the offer in which I had so long to reply.

Technical Support Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at EMC.

Submit your CV and usually will get initial call after 3 -14 days. Interview process goes as HR interview, Technical Interview, Team Lead interview, managerial interviews. If you pass one interview you get to the next til your final interview. The whole interviewing process takes about 1 week and you will know your if you are accepted or rejected within a few business days.

Interview Questions
    • - HR interview: pretty basic, go through your CV talking about your past experiences and a little in depth about projects and responsibilities held, a few personality questions, why you want to join EMC and why you want to leave your current employment (if applies).

- Technical Interview:
      College graduated basic knowledge in Networking, Networks, Software development life cycle, programming languages, programming paradigms, Unix/Linux basic commands, file systems.
      Expect any questions to skills writen on your CV.

- Team Leader Interview: Goes through the CV again, expect advance technical questions with respect to your technical background on your CV. Situation based assessment what/how would you do if faced with a certain situation?

Managerial Interviews: 2 parts one with a department manager and one with the General Manager. Going through your CV again and expect to be asked technical questions regarding your skills on your CV. As for the GM interview, going through your CV to get to know your personality more, no technical questions.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at EMC in March 2014.

Jam + Aptitude + Technical written + 3 interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EMC in June 2013.

I had 7 rounds to clear Communication,analytic, 2 technical, Managerial, Senior managerial, HR and Director round.
    The toughest part is with the managers.. Most questions are based on your resumes. The more skills on technical language you put, the more questions are expected[ex. my resume had C, C++, Java, Unix etc]
    Make sure you know the basics on what you have updated.
    Communication and confidence will be your plus point.
    Talk only upto the point and know much on the networking part.
    EMC is one of the best place to work at.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult, when you are not able to connect to a server what would you check first?
      what is DNS and how does it work?
      Few questions on C++, JAVA were also there like what are class, call by value and call by reference example.
      Top down approach, bottom up approach. How does the operating system works?
        View Answer