ENVIRON

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Associate With the Air Quality Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ENVIRON in October 2011.

I initially heard about Environ because one of the principals taught a seminar I took in college. About a year and a half after I had graduated and was looking to transition out of my first post-college job, I attended a career fair on campus and spoke with a representative from Environ. After speaking with her, I submitted a resume and cover letter. A short time later, I was asked to supply a transcript and technical writing sample. A few days after that, I was asked to come in for an all-day interview.
    During the interview, I met with maybe seven groups of about 2-3 people each at all levels of the company, and we had an opportunity to ask each other questions. I thought this was really helpful as an interviewee because I got to meet a whole lot of people, learn about different parts of the organization and get a pretty good sense of organizational structure and dynamics. I was really impressed with the company's efforts to promote cooperation and communication and found everyone I met with very friendly and helpful. One potential drawback of the system is that you don't get to spend much time with any one person or group, so it's hard for them to learn much in depth about you... it's easy to just give a brief, superficial introduction to yourself over and over again... which sort of puts the pressure on you to push through quickly and make you're proactive about conveying what you want to convey.
    The impression I got is that the team at Environ was most interested in a) demonstrated ability to learn technical skills and execute them with a high degree of accuracy and b) sincere motivation and desire to do the work and be part of the team.

Interview Questions
    • The question that probably put me on the spot most was this one: "What's your favorite Excel function?" One of the team members apparently ALWAYS asks this question, and really likes it because it's a quick way of assessing how experienced and comfortable someone is with Excel. I would definitely recommend giving this question some thought before interviewing.   Answer Question