EOG Senior Environmental Advisor Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Environmental Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EOG in August 2012.

I was run through "the gauntlet" of senior and senior management staff with whom I'd be working as I was told that the process was made on a consensus basis. Interviews consisted of a series of visits to the Division Office...3 trips, which EOG paid for. Received accolades about my background and experience in oil and gas regulatory and my technical expertise from operations, permitting/regulatory and government affairs. Glowing recommendations from peers and former clients whom I encouraged them to contact.

Never spoke to an HR person until I was set up for an interview with the Division Manager/VP. Spoke with two HR people prior to my same-day meeting with HR (a very young HR person and one very old). Conversation very general, and spent most of time going over the company benefits and perks.

Was pressed for salary expectations, but only stated that I would be able to fit in their budgeted range were we to reach an agreement to offer me employment, Older HR person became visibly upset. Just kept telling him that I was confident if we agreed I was a "good fit" with them, I was sure we could work out a fair compensation package. Kept pressing me but politely refused.

Interview with DIvision Mgr/VP went well, especially considering that the entire interview panel/management had "warned" me he was "quirky" and could be "off the wall." I found none of that in my interview and felt completely comfortable and confident in speaking with him as he was an obviously highly intelligent individual and not hard to hold conversation with.

No one in the entire process asked me a single technical question about my work and background. Told my professional story and was only asked, "why do you want to work here," and "what questions do you have for us?" I did little or no talking except in my very first interview. By the time I had run "the gauntlet" I was 99 percent sure I would see an offer. Called back the next day to follow-up and was told by a senior staffer that HR had concerns and "the consensus was I didn't fit the EOG culture." Say what? I hardly discussed anything with HR, except "why do you want to work here?"

Maybe it was the giant bruise I had on my chin from a mountain bike wreck a couple days before? LOL.

Have never not received an offer for a position that I've gone that far with....all in all, that just seemed strange.

Interview Questions
  • What are your salary expectations (expected question)?   View Answer
  • Describe how you deal with frustration? How do you rate yourself regarding attention to detail?   Answer Question