EPAM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 5, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EPAM (Budapest (Hungary)).

Interview

I applied for the Academy program, where software engineers from other fields (like C++) are reeducated to Java (J2EE).
The hiring process consists of three levels. The first one is an HR interview, where I could introduced myself. We were talking about my experiences, expectations and the details of the training.
In the next session I had to solve programming tasks in front of a computer. Everything was in Java, but you only need general programming and algorithmic skills to pass the test. I've been told they measure our analytical skills and the ability of working with code written by somebody else.
The third round was a face-to-face talking with a senior, who told me more details about the jobs at EPAM and also asked some technical questions related to software development (like SOLID principles, OOP, etc). At the end I was asked some personal questions to be seen if I'm suitable for the job and also we agreed in my compensation.

Interview Questions

• There were no specific question. I had to solve programming tasks. In an internally developed web application I got short tasks (like sort an array) with a certain amount of time to solve it. The application also gave the solution as unordered source code lines (in Java) that I had to put in the correct order.

It is kinda strange, although I can see the point of it. The most negative experience is that there was no feedback whether my solution was good (only at the very end) and I could not swap between the tasks.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for EPAM

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gdańsk (Poland)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at EPAM (Gdańsk (Poland)) in March 2014.

Interview

I attended an interview at EPAM just before opening their new office in Gdańsk. It was a rather friendly atmosphere, I was asked about my previous jobs: duties an experience, projects I participated in etc. Then there were some Software Engineer questions, mostly basics like inheritance, polymorphism and a small test - written on a piece of paper. This test included standard C# inheritance classes definitions (abstract, interface, etc.).

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was solving the test which was handwritten. Adding a little stress and I couldn't read/concentrate on what was written - it was really unreadable.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kiev (Ukraine)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at EPAM (Kiev (Ukraine)).

Interview

Usually things are pretty much standard for Kiev big IT companies: HR interview, interview with company tech guys, interview with manager/tech guy from customer site.
    HR interview itself does not contain usual annoying questions "your strengths/weaknesses " or "where you can see yourself in 5 years".
    Technical interview questions could vary depending on project. Most questions, however, are supposed to check technology knowledge(.NET/Java/SQL) and coding skills(tasks usually are quite simple). But some tasks could be difficult though.

Interview Questions

• Describe how do you write function returning big amount(from million to billion) of unique random numbers. You're allowed to use library function getRandom() returning double d: 0 <= d <= 1.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at EPAM.

Interview

First, I had a 1 hour technical interview. Three people were in the room, a resource manager and two guys from the same role I was applying to. We started to talk over my past experiences and works, then they asked me a few questions about the technologies I was to use at the company. They were polite and friendly, the whole meeting had a very good atmosphere.

Then they left me alone for a 40 min technical task where I had to answer questions (A/B) and make some smaller coding as well on paper. They evaluated it immediately and we discussed some minor areas where I felt the question wasn't clear enough or they thought another answer was right.

After this interview I had another with the HR where we discussed the main company policies, the salary and other benefits. They rang me after two days, and I started on the next week.

Interview Questions

• I didn't feel any of the questions unexpected or really difficult. They absolutely fit in the role.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I got a clear and reasonable offer before I made mine, maybe it was just luck, but I accepted it because it was just right and similar to mine.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lviv (Ukraine)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at EPAM (Lviv (Ukraine)) in September 2012.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn, and asked if I'd like to change job, and offered me to visit their office to discuss such opportunity.
    Once I was at the office, in a large open space, I talked to recruiter, and after that, surprisingly to me, he tells me, that technical interview will start in couple minutes.

Interview with 3 person asking me - 2 developers and PM? took about an hour. After which recruiter again talked with me about possibility and my expectations from this change.

Next day I got an email with another invitation to their office to discus the offer.

Interview Questions

• There was common questions about language, SQL, architecture, troubleshooting techniques etc.   Answer Question

Company haven't showed contract. And HR told me, that all contracts are the same and "you'll see it on the first working day".

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kiev (Ukraine)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at EPAM (Kiev (Ukraine)) in August 2012.

Interview

Received call from recruiter. Proposed job for Barclays ODC. After sending resume to recruiter I had passed phone interview with recruiter. Then second phone interview with team lead. Third interview with team lead and senior developer in office. Fourth interview with customers(team lead and senior developer from Barclays side) in office.

Interview Questions

• Most enjoyed features of recent .NET version   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate before first phone interview with recruiter. If you want to negotiate push it to the limit from the very beginning, that would save your time on interviews if your request is too high

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at EPAM (Moscow (Russia)) in January 2012.

Interview

I've speaked a bit with the interviewer about principal question, then he gaved me complex "task to do" for few days and reviewed it after finished.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kiev (Ukraine)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EPAM (Kiev (Ukraine)) in November 2011.

Interview

They contacted me via skype and scheduled first tech phone interview. The duration was about 1hr and included the theory and practice of C++. After passing it they scheduled onsite one and made me an offer in 20 mins after it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

1 day