EPFL Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2015

2.7

Echange Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EPFL.

Interview

The Interview process was very well structured and friendly. The collaboration with ETH Zurich worked impressively well such that paper work was reduced to a minimum. The instructions on how to get different regustration forms and meeting times were clear and easy to find. The the interviewers were friendly and were focused on the skills. All in all a very good experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EPFL (Lausanne (Switzerland)).

Interview

A 30 min presentation followed a personal interview. Group members were asking lot of questions. There were asking many fundamental questions. All of them polite when posing a question to me and it was overall a nice experience. They created a nice atmosphere in the presentation hall, so that the candidate don't feel alienated.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Interview

It was short: one hour personal discussion, presenting my Ph.D. in form of PPD presentation. And then I had a lab visit, knowing my colleagues and having a look of the equipment lab

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at EPFL (Lausanne (Switzerland)).

Interview

Sent PI an email with CV, he responded asking for reference letters. Got a response asking to meet me, was flown to Lausanne for a few days. Had one day worth of meetings and lab tours with PI, PhD's, and PostDocs. Gave a presentation to the group on my PhD research.

Interview Questions

• None, it was all pretty straightforward. Basically... "what do you want to do here"   Answer Question

Doctoral Assistant Interview

Interview

There is no interview process. You have to submit you application and they will inform you whether you are accepted or not. For you application it is required that you fill a regular form with question regarding your resume. You also need to submit your resume as well as to send 3 recommendation letters either from former professors or former employers.

Interview Questions

• There is no question that you have to answer as there is no interview procedure.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at EPFL (Lausanne (Switzerland)).

Interview

I have contacted and made a 1:1 interview with the professor

Doctoral Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at EPFL.

Interview

The interview was mainly technical, with the Head of my lab. Once you get past the lab’s boss, it’s done. The doctoral school should take note of it, and in particular take note of the fact that it’s the boss who’s going to pay your salary: in this case you’ll be automatically hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at EPFL (Lausanne (Switzerland)) in December 2013.

Interview

E-mail the professor directly, got an answer soon. Then exchange several more e-mail, send CV, 3 references and cover letter and arranged an interview date (December 15). Got offer 3 days after the interview. After that, needed to do the entire formal online application which took ages but it was just a formality. Signed contract around March, starting day August 1st.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect to achieve after you have completed your PhD/by completing your PhD.   Answer Question

Master Thesis Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at EPFL.

Interview

They like you to be open and expressive about your interests. Relaxed environment and people. One thing I really liked there that Switzerland is already world famous for its beauty and high living standard Swiss people are also talent loving. They need people to get the work done no matter where they come from.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at EPFL (Lausanne (Switzerland)).

Interview

Some years ago, when I have been hired as a PhD student, the interview was mainly technical, with the Head of my lab. Once you get past the lab’s boss, it’s done. The doctoral school should take note of it, and in particular take note of the fact that it’s the boss who’s going to pay your salary: in this case you’ll be automatically hired.

Interview Questions

• There should not be difficult questions if you show a good academic cv.   Answer Question