EPIC Systems

Updated Jan 18, 2015
Updated Jan 18, 2015

2.9

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EPIC Systems.

Submitted resume through university career fair and filled in an online application. Received e-mail with instructions to take a ~3h online assessment (basic math speed round, logic puzzle round, learn new programming language, and several coding questions). Several weeks later received e-mail with instructions to take a personality test and also to set up a phone interview, talked with a full-time developer about my academic background and the basic job scope and environment of the internship. Several weeks later received invitation for in-person interviews, one technical and one HR.

Interview Questions
    • None; standard interview stuff (strengths, weaknesses, why this position). Tech question on data structures.   Answer Question

Problem Solver Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at EPIC Systems.

I was contacted for this role via email by a recruiter. The first step was a phone screening by one of the employees in the Problem Solver role. It was basic behavioral and resume questions and allowing me to ask about the position. Next I was told to take a personality test and scheduled for a technical skills test which I completed on my computer with an online proctor. The test was separated into sections for quantitative thinking, programming languages, and algorithms (which had no time limit) and a fourth section containing analytical questions that was timed. Afterwards I received an email from the same person who contacted me initially that I would be contacted regarding the next round of the interview process within two weeks. Four weeks passed and I still had not been contacted, so I emailed the company back and was told that I was rejected.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was about the syntax of a made up programming language. I don't know if I actually did well on this because I did not receive feedback. Overall the technical interview didn't seem complicated but I probably answered the questions too slowly since I had no preparation.   Answer Question

Technical Services Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at EPIC Systems.

got a phone interview , took an assessment test............
    the assessment test was okay except the programming part
    other than that the questions were do-able, a few tricky ones but can be easily solved using quick thinking and common sense

they are quite quick to reply back

Project Manager Interview

Phone Interview lasted about 25 minutes, focused on behavioral and resume questions and then basic fit questions. Was asked about willingness to relocate to Madison and where I saw myself in 5-10 years. Later on, took online assessment with four component parts.

Software Developer Interview

Initial interview process includes a non-technical phone interview and a ~3hr technical assessment test. The phone interview is just to ssee if you're a real person and to discuss your resume. I was asked about projects I listed on my resume. The assessment test is a proctor ed online test through a third-party site, ProctorU. You'll take an online test with a proctor wathing you via webcam the entire time. DON'T FORGET TO BRING A CALCULATOR! There is a speed portion of the test that includes some algebra and long division. I had to do it by hand and ended up completing fewer questions than I could have.
      After this first two steps, if they deem you a good fit, you'll be offered an onsite interview/tour.

Interview Questions
    • A man finishes painting his house and needs supplied to put the finishing touches on the house. He goes to the hardware store and gets what he needs. At checkout the cashier says, 1 will be $1. The man says "I need 600 so here's $3". What was the man buying?   Answer Question
    None

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EPIC Systems.

First was a phone interview. Pretty standard interview, asked some questions about my resume, why Epic, and then an open ended technical question that we walked through. The phone interview was pretty easy. I was also asked to take an online exam through Proctor. The test was pretty easy for the most part, until I got to the programming questions. The questions were pretty much what I would expect to be tested on for a job like this, but I don't feel I did very well because I didn't spend any time studying and the last time I looked at that sort of programming was in my classes a couple years ago. But if you really know your stuff, then the exam isn't super difficult. I'm still waiting to hear back after they received my exam results.

Technical Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at EPIC Systems in November 2014.

Met with a recruiter at school career fair. Received an email within a week and eventually had a phone interview. Then I had to complete a personality test along with a math and programming skills assessment while on video chat to prevent cheating. Nothing too hard, it's not language specific, but it did take longer than I had planned, over 2.5 hours.
    Next, they flew me out to Madison for my interview day at the company. It was a busy day of touring, doing a case study, and a verbal assessment test. I also had to give a 10min presentation to a small group of current employees. Finally, I met with my HR representative for a 30min interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would this person on your reference list say is one of your best qualities? worst?   Answer Question

Wasn't a perfect fit for me

Project Management/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EPIC Systems in October 2014.

I contacted Epic on their website about a different position. HR was prompt and got back to me within two days to let me know that they thought I would be a better fit for PM/IC. I was asked to apply to that job and they a couple days later I was contacted again by HR to set up the phone interview. The phone interview was very informal and I was just asked to go over my resume, how I heard about Epic, etc. Nothing was difficult or unexpected. Was told I would hear within a week, but two days later HR contacted me again and said that they wanted me to do a skills assessment and a personality profile. I take both of those tomorrow. Will update once I hear back more.

Implementation Consultant/Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at EPIC Systems in October 2014.

Thirty minute phone interview talking about the position, what it entails, and your background and interest. This is followed by a three hour skills test to determine whether or not you will be in the next round of interviews. The math section was more like riddles than actual math, and the "verbal" section had logic thrown in too.

Interview Questions
    • A man is painting his house and decides he needs something more. He goes to the hardware store and the sales person shows him what he needs, and says "one is $1". The man says "I need 600, so here is $3". What did he buy?   View Answer

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

interviewed at EPIC Systems in October 2014.

After a brief online application (very brief but they want old college transcripts which I thought was odd after 15 years out of college), I had a telephone interview. They discuss the basic questions describe your work history, could you handle moving to Wisconsin and salary expectations (fair not great, based on cost of living in WI).
    Very pleasant, non-stressful conversation.
    A day or 2 later I received an email for 2 online tests; one just a personality test.
    The 2nd was a fairly difficult and stressful, video-proctored exam that takes 2-3 hours. I found it very difficult at the time but in hindsight I overthought everything...If you are a "math person" you'll be fine. I am not good at math at all particularly when under stress, so I'm not feeling hopeful :(
     Today's email said they had received my exams and I would hear within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Skills assessment taken very seriously, don't think "what can I bring to your organization", think SAT. Proctored, and speed based so don't waste too much time or it will log you out, A lot of word based algebra, some very simple grammer and a section for programming (this was the non-tech version) that just wants to assess how quickly you pick up new concepts-you need not be a programmer.   Answer Question