EPIC Systems

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.9

Software Developer Interview

Initial interview process includes a non-technical phone interview and a ~3hr technical assessment test. The phone interview is just to ssee if you're a real person and to discuss your resume. I was asked about projects I listed on my resume. The assessment test is a proctor ed online test through a third-party site, ProctorU. You'll take an online test with a proctor wathing you via webcam the entire time. DON'T FORGET TO BRING A CALCULATOR! There is a speed portion of the test that includes some algebra and long division. I had to do it by hand and ended up completing fewer questions than I could have.
      After this first two steps, if they deem you a good fit, you'll be offered an onsite interview/tour.

Interview Questions
    • A man finishes painting his house and needs supplied to put the finishing touches on the house. He goes to the hardware store and gets what he needs. At checkout the cashier says, 1 will be $1. The man says "I need 600 so here's $3". What was the man buying?   Answer Question
    None

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EPIC Systems.

First was a phone interview. Pretty standard interview, asked some questions about my resume, why Epic, and then an open ended technical question that we walked through. The phone interview was pretty easy. I was also asked to take an online exam through Proctor. The test was pretty easy for the most part, until I got to the programming questions. The questions were pretty much what I would expect to be tested on for a job like this, but I don't feel I did very well because I didn't spend any time studying and the last time I looked at that sort of programming was in my classes a couple years ago. But if you really know your stuff, then the exam isn't super difficult. I'm still waiting to hear back after they received my exam results.

Technical Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at EPIC Systems in November 2014.

Met with a recruiter at school career fair. Received an email within a week and eventually had a phone interview. Then I had to complete a personality test along with a math and programming skills assessment while on video chat to prevent cheating. Nothing too hard, it's not language specific, but it did take longer than I had planned, over 2.5 hours.
    Next, they flew me out to Madison for my interview day at the company. It was a busy day of touring, doing a case study, and a verbal assessment test. I also had to give a 10min presentation to a small group of current employees. Finally, I met with my HR representative for a 30min interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would this person on your reference list say is one of your best qualities? worst?   Answer Question

Wasn't a perfect fit for me

Project Management/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EPIC Systems in October 2014.

I contacted Epic on their website about a different position. HR was prompt and got back to me within two days to let me know that they thought I would be a better fit for PM/IC. I was asked to apply to that job and they a couple days later I was contacted again by HR to set up the phone interview. The phone interview was very informal and I was just asked to go over my resume, how I heard about Epic, etc. Nothing was difficult or unexpected. Was told I would hear within a week, but two days later HR contacted me again and said that they wanted me to do a skills assessment and a personality profile. I take both of those tomorrow. Will update once I hear back more.

Implementation Consultant/Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at EPIC Systems in October 2014.

Thirty minute phone interview talking about the position, what it entails, and your background and interest. This is followed by a three hour skills test to determine whether or not you will be in the next round of interviews. The math section was more like riddles than actual math, and the "verbal" section had logic thrown in too.

Interview Questions
    • A man is painting his house and decides he needs something more. He goes to the hardware store and the sales person shows him what he needs, and says "one is $1". The man says "I need 600, so here is $3". What did he buy?   View Answer

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

interviewed at EPIC Systems in October 2014.

After a brief online application (very brief but they want old college transcripts which I thought was odd after 15 years out of college), I had a telephone interview. They discuss the basic questions describe your work history, could you handle moving to Wisconsin and salary expectations (fair not great, based on cost of living in WI).
    Very pleasant, non-stressful conversation.
    A day or 2 later I received an email for 2 online tests; one just a personality test.
    The 2nd was a fairly difficult and stressful, video-proctored exam that takes 2-3 hours. I found it very difficult at the time but in hindsight I overthought everything...If you are a "math person" you'll be fine. I am not good at math at all particularly when under stress, so I'm not feeling hopeful :(
     Today's email said they had received my exams and I would hear within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Skills assessment taken very seriously, don't think "what can I bring to your organization", think SAT. Proctored, and speed based so don't waste too much time or it will log you out, A lot of word based algebra, some very simple grammer and a section for programming (this was the non-tech version) that just wants to assess how quickly you pick up new concepts-you need not be a programmer.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at EPIC Systems in October 2014.

I applied the position online and after a few days, I got a a email asking me to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview took about 30 minutes. I was asked basic behavior questions like how do you know epic and why do you want to build a career as a software developer. Then I was asked a simple technical question based on a scenario that there are five buttons 1,2,3,4,5 and the user will press the button in certain pattern like 2,3,1,4,5 and the system needs to store the pattern and next time if the person press 2, the system will automatically fill 3,1,4,5. the question was how would you implement it.

Interview Questions
    • Basically, there are no difficult questions, just simple questions in the phone interview.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at EPIC Systems in October 2014.

I expressed interest at my school's job fair and eventually received an email requesting I complete two online components: one was a 45-minute personality survey, the other was a 2-hour, proctored online exam. The latter requires you use the ProctorU service, which monitors your test-taking; it has four parts, including quick math, verbal, and a couple logic sections, one specifically working with a fake coding language. I didn't think I'd done very well, but I got a call inviting me to Madison for an in-person interview.

This company interviews nearly everyone. On a normal day, anywhere from 30-60 applicants are there interviewing. The on-campus interview day lasts approximately six hours, usually starting around 8:30 A.M. Dress at least somewhat casually; you'll look out of place in a suit, and you could pull off jeans/chinos quite easily. Everyone's schedule is organized a little differently to accommodate the ridiculous number of candidates there, but the individual parts are the same:
     * Info session with a current project manager.
     * One-on-two case interview, with you and and another applicant matched with a current project manager. He'll ask you how you would handle opposition, difficult doctors, managing a team, etc. No numbers.
     * One-on-one project management interview with a current project manager asking you canned questions of a page. Nothing you wouldn't expect.
     * One-on-one HR interview. Be prepared to give an expected salary range. Now is also the time to communicate any other offers you might have already received.
     * 10-minute presentation on the topic of your choosing.
     * Free lunch and a tour of some parts of their beautiful campus.

Turnover at EPIC is insane, so they don't seem to have particularly high standards.

Interview Questions

I received an offer of more money in a location I found more attractive that required less travel.

Implementation Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at EPIC Systems in July 2014.

I only made it through the phone interview and tests.

I sent in a resume/cover letter and in a few days received an email for a phone interview. The phone interview was primarily discussing my qualifications and questions about the job with another implementation manager. The interview only took 30 minutes, and it was mostly her explaining the job position and reviewing my resume.

After a week, I received an email about moving forward with two tests. The first is a Rembrandt Test that quantifies personality types by forcing you to pick certain options to describe yourself. The second is a test of verbal/math/logic/computer saavy through an online program.

Interview Questions
    • If you make it to the tests, the hardest part about them is learning computer languages and then using them on the spot.   Answer Question

Software Developer(Fall) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EPIC Systems in July 2014.

I received a mail about a phone interview from one of the HRs. The Phone interview was quite easy. I was asked a few details about my background and some of the projects I have worked on, The Interviewer on the phone spoke about the internship experience and gave me one technical question to solve.
    1 week later I received an E-mail about taking a 30 min personality / general quiz.
    after which I took the video proctored skills assessment test. That took me 2 hours.
    I got an email a week and half later saying I didn't quite make it. I had a good feeling about it though.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty general computer science stuff. Involving manipulating strings,words,numbers,etc. Most of which similar to the ones on the career cup website.   Answer Question