ESPN

Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.8

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I applied online – interviewed at ESPN in January 2015.

Was brief. Was informed they already had a candidate chosen & had to go through the process. Submitted the application and moved onto a second round. About a week later received the phone call that they appreciated my application & they suggested that I continue to apply to any HR job that is posted.

Interview Questions
    • How many years was I hands in in the environment?   View Answer

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

Phone interview that included a sports quiz
    In person interview: They fly you out to their HQ in Bristol, CT. 4 different people interview you. Includes a question/answer portion, sports knowledge/ writing portion, rundown producing and a situation portion.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation and how you got through it.   Answer Question

Bottomline Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

Applied online, took sports acumen test, contacted two weeks later. Had two phone interviews, one with Bottomline Managing Editor and the other with the Director of Stats and Info. Interview consisted mostly of sports-related questions.

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ESPN.

a recruiting team called me and set me up with the interview. i was there a week later for the interview process. overall it went a lot better than expected, they liked to talk sports but overall they go back and forth between friendly and down to business which i liked. you really need to know sports & grammar, i received a sports quiz and grammar test after my interview to complete

Media Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in December 2013.

Applied online, got a phone screening about a week later. The same night I got invited to fly up for an interview. Flying up was a breeze, they get everything ready for you. The interview itself took about 45 minutes, and was in front of 3 managers. Afterwards I toured around the facilities for about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • They asked basic questions. Be prepared to answer why you want to work for ESPN, and you can't say because you love sports. The question that stumped me the most was describe yourself using 5 words.   Answer Question

Accounts Payable Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in August 2013.

Being Prepared to ask questions about the job, Eye contact and handshake etiquette. Dress to impress, try not to sweat so much. Eat a good meal and drink water well before the interview. Always be on time, no more than 15-20 mins early

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in July 2013.

Two phone interviews. Third interview flew to Bristol, CT for in person interview. Consisted of 6 30 minute interviews with various managers.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty softball questions. Talked about my background and what my role would be with the company.   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in June 2013.

The Superior Group, a recruiter found my resume. His big client is ESPN. I had two phone interviews. 1:1 with recruiter. 1:1 with ESPN to include a conference call with two managers. ESPN interviewed 3 other people besides me. I thought I was not picked for the job but ESPN showed interest in me. The process was pretty easy and straight forward. There is an intensive background check. All new employers are also required to get photographed for credentials to be inside the building.

Interview Questions
    • All technical related questions and sports questions. Nothing major or particular.   Answer Question
    It was $15.00 an hour, four month contract to hire position with oppertunity possibly to stay on. ESPN has to buyout your contact. There was little negociation. Be flexible with your hourly rate.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in April 2013.

A few phone interviews then fly into Bristol for a day of interviews. Similar questions to other sofware compaines. Not as difficult as amazon/google/other silicon valley big boys, but tougher than software consulting firms. Some sports questions as well to gauge interest in sports. Dont fake your way through the sports questions, much better to admit if you dont care about sports, its not a big deal people just dont want to work with a fabricator. I didnt do any negotiating with the offer

Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN in January 2013.

I recently did a flyout to visit ESPN to interview for a role as a mobile software engineer, so I'll offer a few points about my experience there that might help folks in a general sense, as well as some points for those interviewing for software engineer roles in a specific sense.

The first thing was that the interviewing process took at least a month or maybe closer to two months. This may have been because of the holidays (before & after Thanksgiving & Christmas) or it might have been because this ESPN group wasn't super urgent on making decisions. I did manage to pass all the various phone screens and phone conversations (the technical questions and "getting to know you" calls with the higher ups). It was at that point the H.R. drone arranged for me to do the trip.

ESPN appears to be somewhat strict with how they do fly-outs: travel to & from your home airport is not reimbursed (i.e. if you have to take a taxi, you must pay for that out of pocket). They also will not cover GPS charges for the rental car, but printed-out Google map directions almost worked perfectly (see note in next paragraph). They only pay for two meals & one night's hotel, so if you want to see a bit of the area, you'll have to pay for the second night yourself. The hotel they put me up at, the Clarion, was under severe renovation and was not a good night's sleep… but after March of 2013, the hotel will be re-flagged as a DoubleTree by Hilton and should be somewhat more comfortable.

Regarding the campus, it's an impressive collection of buildings surrounded by an iron fence. Now here is where you need to be a bit careful in your driving: if you follow Google's directions (or even the BING instructions that your H.R. resource sends you), it will send you to a closed gate (which used to be a public street named "Birch"). You'll find an open gate between the former "Birch" street and Middle Street but it's also the wrong entrance. Instead of that "North" gate, you actually want to go in the "South" gate… which you can reach by going a little further south on Middle Street and then turning left on West street. And this is where you'll find Building 9, which is the security building where all candidates check in.

Speaking of security, I've never seen tighter or more visible security in any other corporate installation. You must show your ID to get past the South gate, then again when you end up in Building 9 to get your "visitor" sticker. Lastly, you'll park your car and get driven in a security van to where your interview will be and your first interviewer will be waiting for you in the lobby. If you'd like to use the Internet while on campus (e.g. if you want to demonstrate something you've done that requires remote server access, or show off apps that live on a non-ESPN website), you must ask the hiring manager to issue you a temporary password which will get you onto the guest WiFi network.

One thing that irritated me significantly was the H.R. person insisted that I wear a business suit to the engineering interview. I tend to "dress nicely" for West Coast interviews (because suits are far too formal for waving my arms while doing technical explanations in front of a well worn white board) and I also "dress better" for East Coast interviews. For ESPN, I ended up buying an expensive brand new suit. When I showed up on-site, nobody was dressed more formal than cargo or khaki pants, t-shirts and sweatshirts (multiple layers for variable indoor & outdoor weather, etc.) and I ended up being quite uncomfortable -- and feeling quite overdressed -- while trying to explain myself & my background. It's still probably a safe bet to wear a suit if your interview is **NOT** for an engineering role.

I probably shouldn't have to remind you, but even if you're interviewing for an engineering role, try to get as familiar as you can with the products you might end up working with. Another important thing is to try to drop as many sports-related anecdotes as possible. If you can admit to being a sports nut and it sounds credible, that's likely to be a big plus.

Another thing that made me uncomfortable was the age difference between me (I'm early 40's) and the engineering team, the oldest of them might have been 34 or 35. Some of the guys I spoke with have only been with ESPN since getting out of school years ago, which is almost unheard of in the computer science world (which usually has more frequent job jumping); but then again, the benefits at ESPN are indeed quite impressive (ESPN is the only company I've heard of that actually continues to offer pensions).

In any event, I was glad to get to visit ESPN and I hope my experience flunking the interview will help you to prepare and pass yours. If my interview notes helped you out, please let me know by voting "yes" on the "Helpful?" question below.

Interview Questions
    • What's a managed object context?   View Answer
    • What's the angle between the hands of a clock if the time is 3:15.   View Answers (2)
    • Design a block function that returns an array and Bool.   View Answer