ESPN Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ESPN (New York, NY).

Interview

phone interview with human resources where we talked about my basic information, then in person interview with my future supervisor in the office. It was pretty average, they just wanted to see your background and get a feel about how interested you were in getting into the industry. The generic answers like "I love sports" didn't really cut it, so you have to think about why sports are so important to you and who you are.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

Interview

Basic Phone Interview (who you are, what do you know), followed by an extensive phone interview (questions requiring detailed answer about equipment and experience), and the final interview was with a group of department leaders.

Interview Questions

• • Give me a situation where you had to think outside the box to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    • • Give me an example of a time you had to be the leader for the team.   1 Answer
    • • Tell me about a time when you had to do more than your position required to get the job done.   1 Answer
    • • What do you think you can add to the company?   1 Answer

Digital Media Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in July 2015.

Interview

Screening call, Phone Interview, and then on campus. It all took about two weeks. The on-site interview was challenging because I didn't really know what was happening. Six of us interviewed in the morning, rotating through the different departments, and six of us in the afternoon, with lunch as an overlapping point. Most of the interviews were pretty straightforward, but a couple were more challenging. I spent a lot of time preparing for this interview and it paid off.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ESPN in June 2015.

Interview

A simple phone screen. I never heard back. I even sent two emails and never got a reply. I understand many people apply for the position, but all I was looking for was a short response. Was the Position filled? or Are you still in the hiring process?

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

Interview

First screened by HR associate via phone. 2nd Interview via phone with VP and Engineer. Call lasted 30 minutes. All very nice and professional. another HR person called after to see if I was a fit for another position.

Interview Questions

• Pretty straight forward. ask questions about my background.   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ESPN (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for this job through a temp agency ad I found on Indeed. First, I want to say that one thing I didn't like about this whole process was going through a staffing agency. You are completely isolated from the actual company you are applying for...the only person you can contact is the recruiter, so you never really know what is going on because many times the recruiter doesn't know what's going on and it makes the process very frustrating. I was contacted by one of the agency's recruiters 1-2 days after submitting my application. The recruiter was friendly and felt I would be a good fit. The Associate Producer role was a 3-5 month temp position, with the possibility to hire, so I was definitely interested. Once I gave the recruiter the go ahead to forward my info to ESPN, I got a same-day follow-up from the hiring manager, who told the recruiter they were interested in my application, but expressed concern about my lack of experience/interest in sports based on my resume. The recruiter had me write up a response about my sports experience and interest in ESPN. I was sure I must have failed my explanation about my interest in sports/ESPN because for about a week, I heard nothing. The recruiter said it can take some time for them to decide on candidates to interview. At the beginning of the 2nd week of waiting, I got a call from my recruiter saying ESPN wanted a phone-screen interview for the end of that week. Day of my phone screen, I never get a call from ESPN because the recruiter had made a mistake by thinking it was a phone-screen interview, when really ESPN wanted me to do an in-person interview! Talk about a big mistake. The recruiter and his team were super embarrassed, but got me rescheduled for a in-person at the beginning of the following week. I had my interview with the producer I would be working under. He was friendly and very casual. I overall felt really good about the whole process. The questions were pretty standard, and he didn't ask me any difficult sports questions, which was the one thing I was nervous about. He asked me about my job experience, which sports and teams I watched, and about the different ESPN shows. The interview was about 30 min and afterwards he gave me a tour of their studios and offices, and we discussed the job position more. Before parting, he told they should have a decision by beginning of the following week. I found out 2 weeks later, that they went with another candidate, but I think it was good interview process regardless. Just be prepared and know your knowledge about recent sports events/scores and about the company.

Interview Questions

• I see you don't have much sports experience on your resume...Why do you want to work for ESPN?   Answer Question

Web Developer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Overall the ESPN interview process was long and comprised of about 12 different interviewers but not extremely difficult in terms of questioning. The interviewers began by asking questions about technical background and experience and then would dive into technical questions that required written responses. Just about everyone was extremely pleasant and would be hoping for you to succeed.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to count the number of palindromes in a given string.   1 Answer
    • Write a non-recusive function to print a Fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Disney's website. About 2 or 3 days later I moved from "In Submission" to "In Progress' and the next day received a phone call asking if I'd like to set up a phone interview with them. I said yes. Next week we had the phone interview. It consisted of me and 3 men on the other end (at ESPN). It only lasted about 15 minutes. About 2 weeks later I received a phone call saying thanks for applying but the position had already been filled.

Part Time Statistics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with HR and hiring manager. Takes a while to hear back, but everyone was extremely friendly. Asked typical interview questions. Mostly asked about how well I have previously done in group projects. Asked very few sports questions, maybe 2 or 3.

Interview Questions

• What are three current topics in sports from the last week?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ESPN.

Interview

Really long process. The interviews are easy just listen to what it is they are asking and answer the best way you can. Be yourself and you'll be fine. Know your stuff!! And definitely ask questions if you have any, they are always willing to answer any questions that you may have. Also, do your research on the company and know what the job description for which you have applied for says.

Interview Questions

• What sets you apart from the other applicants?   1 Answer