ESPN

Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.9

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

Phone interview that included a sports quiz
    In person interview: They fly you out to their HQ in Bristol, CT. 4 different people interview you. Includes a question/answer portion, sports knowledge/ writing portion, rundown producing and a situation portion.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation and how you got through it.   Answer Question

Multimedia Editor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN.

It took up to 6 months for hiring process; from phone interview to onsite interview and final decision. Everyone I spoke to/dealt with was great and very friendly. Unfortunately, I was not offered the position..

Interview Questions
    • "What will be the most difficult thing for you to get used to if given this position"   Answer Question

Bottomline Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

Applied online, took sports acumen test, contacted two weeks later. Had two phone interviews, one with Bottomline Managing Editor and the other with the Director of Stats and Info. Interview consisted mostly of sports-related questions.

Production Operations(Bristol) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN in October 2014.

Have been through 3 phone interviews so far, and each one has been very pleasant. Not so much questions about knowledge of sports, but more the production side. Very helpful with resume. Was critiqued on it which did not lead to them passing on me which was relieving. So far great experience. One down side was waiting between one of the interview. It took double the amount of time to call me, but work happens.

Interview Questions
    • Knowing equipment that they use because of a lack of experience with high end equipment.   Answer Question

Stats Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ESPN.

Long interview process with multiple stages. Must be patient. Will need to pass a sports assessment to prove knowledge of "sports trivia"-type content before full interview process begins. Then interviews with several managers and directors of varying levels. Depending on openings, the length of time from application to offer can be many months.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer questions on how you handle adversity in different aspects of life.   Answer Question
    There is some, but very limited, room for salary negotiation.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

I applied online on TWDC website and got an email about 3 weeks later from HR in the Bristol office asking to set up 2 phone interviews. I would be speaking with 2 directors - 1 is in NY and the other 1 was in LA. HR was very accommodating to my schedule and the directors I spoke two were okay. I expected them to ask about my current job experience and skillset or even ask me sports trivia questions (as some people were asked that from seeing previous interviews on here).

But no. I was not. I was grilled some pretty tough questions about the cable industry and the Pay TV industry. I felt like I answered the first 2 really well, but the last question was a curveball that I couldn't answer adequately.

1) ESPN has had some challenges with declining Pay TV subscribers. What is the reason behind this and what would you suggest as a solution?

2) Would you recommend that ESPN maintain its current business model or should it shift toward an 'a la carte' model and offer a standalone service? What is the challenge behind the latter and what would you offer as a remedy?

Obviously the questions were relevant because the position I applied for pertained to Business Strategy in the cable landscape, but still, it was hard.

I only got as far as the phone interview. No in person interview and no offer. I got a rejection email about 2 weeks later. All in all, the entire process took about 5 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • 3) The Dodgers and Time Warner have had some difficulties in the LA market. What is this problem and how does it affect the landscape of the Pay TV industry?   Answer Question

Sales Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

Was asked to apply for the position then set up for 2 phone interviews. Moved on the next phase and went on 4 more phone interview with Directors and HR. Then asked to come in to interview with VP. I also had to present a 30 min mock presentation to about 6 employees. The process was well communicated each step of the way making it very smooth and all the employees made it such a great process.

Interview Questions
    • It was just a lot of different people to talk to. I felt as if I repeated myself a lot and got confused as to who I told what and what I had to bring up again.   Answer Question
    • Talk about any ESPN or Disney platforms/mediums that you are familiar with.   Answer Question
    Did not care to negotiate. They asked me early in the interview what I expected and this met my expectations

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

Received an email saying I was a strong candidate. Set up a phone screening, Two weeks later scheduled an phone interview. Two weesk later received offer. Only had the interview over the phone, they asked which location do you prefer etc etc

Interview Questions
    • Standard Interview Questions, make sure you can elaborate on your resume   Answer Question

Graphics Systems Controller Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

I had an initial phone interview, Skype interview with a manager from Bristol, CT, then an 2 person interview in the office.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. The interview was conversation like.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation allowed.

Project - Development Engineer, Data and Platform Technology Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in March 2014.

I was initially contacted by the recruiter for this position, for I had initially applied to a different job. I had a pre-screening interview with the recruiter to gauge my skills, then was set up to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. He asked me typical open ended questions in computer science. Then a few weeks later I was scheduled another phone interview the same hiring manager and two of his team members. They had sent me an algorithm to code and I would submit on GitHub for critique. A week later I made it to the final round interviewing and was flown out to Bristol, CT. There I had six hours straight interviewing with directors, managers and faculty in the department. Questions ranged from easy to difficult and sporadic throughout the day. It personally wasn't for me. Plan for a quick turn around and really know your stuff.

Interview Questions
    • From a male engineer to a female engineer, would you feel comfortable dealing with issues of superiority, because it has happened in the past, and I can't guarantee it won't happen again.   Answer Question