ESPN Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.9

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ESPN (Hartford, CT) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview. Interviewer was on speaker phone and difficult to hear. We chatted for about twenty minutes, talked about company philosophy towards security, interviewers experience with the company. It was listed as a cyber security position but it turned out that it wasn't security related at all.

Interview Questions

• What are some things you would need to consider with firewalls? Very general questions like that. Not sure that there is a 100% correct answer for any.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ESPN in June 2015.

Interview

A simple phone screen. I never heard back. I even sent two emails and never got a reply. I understand many people apply for the position, but all I was looking for was a short response. Was the Position filled? or Are you still in the hiring process?

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online but didn't hear back until I had a reference forward my resume along to the head of the content associate program. First step was a phone interview, then two written assignments, then they flew me and some other candidates out to Bristol for two days. First day we shadowed PAs cutting highlights. Second day we were separately interviewed by 5 different people and tested on what we had learned - some were activities (writing highlights, pitching show ideas) and some were more conversational. I even had to speak Spanish to one interviewer. In the end they said they didn't hire me because they didn't think I would be happy living in Bristol and they weren't sure I was passionate enough about production to stay in the program.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite internship in college?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • How would you critique ESPN's reporting on the FIFA scandal and the Caitlyn Jenner news?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN.

Interview

First screened by HR associate via phone. 2nd Interview via phone with VP and Engineer. Call lasted 30 minutes. All very nice and professional. another HR person called after to see if I was a fit for another position.

Interview Questions

• Pretty straight forward. ask questions about my background.   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for this job through a temp agency ad I found on Indeed. First, I want to say that one thing I didn't like about this whole process was going through a staffing agency. You are completely isolated from the actual company you are applying for...the only person you can contact is the recruiter, so you never really know what is going on because many times the recruiter doesn't know what's going on and it makes the process very frustrating. I was contacted by one of the agency's recruiters 1-2 days after submitting my application. The recruiter was friendly and felt I would be a good fit. The Associate Producer role was a 3-5 month temp position, with the possibility to hire, so I was definitely interested. Once I gave the recruiter the go ahead to forward my info to ESPN, I got a same-day follow-up from the hiring manager, who told the recruiter they were interested in my application, but expressed concern about my lack of experience/interest in sports based on my resume. The recruiter had me write up a response about my sports experience and interest in ESPN. I was sure I must have failed my explanation about my interest in sports/ESPN because for about a week, I heard nothing. The recruiter said it can take some time for them to decide on candidates to interview. At the beginning of the 2nd week of waiting, I got a call from my recruiter saying ESPN wanted a phone-screen interview for the end of that week. Day of my phone screen, I never get a call from ESPN because the recruiter had made a mistake by thinking it was a phone-screen interview, when really ESPN wanted me to do an in-person interview! Talk about a big mistake. The recruiter and his team were super embarrassed, but got me rescheduled for a in-person at the beginning of the following week. I had my interview with the producer I would be working under. He was friendly and very casual. I overall felt really good about the whole process. The questions were pretty standard, and he didn't ask me any difficult sports questions, which was the one thing I was nervous about. He asked me about my job experience, which sports and teams I watched, and about the different ESPN shows. The interview was about 30 min and afterwards he gave me a tour of their studios and offices, and we discussed the job position more. Before parting, he told they should have a decision by beginning of the following week. I found out 2 weeks later, that they went with another candidate, but I think it was good interview process regardless. Just be prepared and know your knowledge about recent sports events/scores and about the company.

Interview Questions

• I see you don't have much sports experience on your resume...Why do you want to work for ESPN?   Answer Question

Part Time Statistics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with HR and hiring manager. Takes a while to hear back, but everyone was extremely friendly. Asked typical interview questions. Mostly asked about how well I have previously done in group projects. Asked very few sports questions, maybe 2 or 3.

Interview Questions

• What are three current topics in sports from the last week?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Disney's website. About 2 or 3 days later I moved from "In Submission" to "In Progress' and the next day received a phone call asking if I'd like to set up a phone interview with them. I said yes. Next week we had the phone interview. It consisted of me and 3 men on the other end (at ESPN). It only lasted about 15 minutes. About 2 weeks later I received a phone call saying thanks for applying but the position had already been filled.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

First they have an HR rep call for a phone screening. Then she forwards you to another HR rep who sets up a video interview (skype, but not skype). Then you wait for weeks (as I assume they narrow it down) and they call you for a Face to Face Interview. Then they make their final decision. The whole thing took 3 months. Have to stay on top of them for updates.

Interview Questions

• What would you consider your biggest achievement to be thus far?   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Application

Interview

Phone interview and then in-person interview with the hiring manager. Interviews themselves were pretty standard (tell me about a time when...) but follow-up was very unprofessional in that it was non-existent. I contacted the hiring manager and HR rep repeatedly over the following months to get a status on my candidacy and, if I heard back, always got a generic "we're still making a decision" answer. There is a website where you can check your status in the hiring process and it remaining unchanged for, literally, months. Finally, through some strategic LinkedIn searching I discovered that they hired someone else for the role - which is, obviously, 100% fine. What bothered me was the lack of communication. I never got an official rejection email or phone call which would be OK if I had just submitted a resume but once you bring someone in for a personal interview I think you owe them the courtesy of a formal notification once they're no longer in the running. Just my opinion.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had manage a difficult situation w/ a partner...   Answer Question

Communications Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at ESPN (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, followed by two rounds of interviews. The first round was with two people, the second round was with three people in two waves. I sent in my application and did not get a phone interview until two months later. It took another 5 weeks for the first in-person interview, then the second followed 10 days later. From there, I was told to expect a decision within two weeks. I did not receive the decision until 6 weeks (and multiple phone calls/emails to HR) after the second interview. Overall, from application to decision, the process took nearly 6 months. Clearly this organization is disorganized, and their glacial hiring process should not inspire confidence in prospective employees. While the people I met with were pleasant and informative, the hiring process itself is nonfunctional.