ESPN

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.9

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at ESPN.

Be sure to know sports trivia on NFL, NCAAB, NCAAF, MLB, NBA, NASCAR, Tennis, and Golf.

Interview Questions
    • Ginobili is one of the best 6th men of all-time, how would you compare him to the other best 6th men of all-time and who would you compare him to?   View Answer

Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ESPN.

Recruiter interview, 2:1 phone interview, face-to-face group interview.
    Everyone was incredibly friendly. New cafe with lots of options, including Starbucks.

Interview Questions
    • General questions about your background and experience--make sure you can back it up.   Answer Question

Project - Development Engineer, Data and Platform Technology Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in March 2014.

I was initially contacted by the recruiter for this position, for I had initially applied to a different job. I had a pre-screening interview with the recruiter to gauge my skills, then was set up to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. He asked me typical open ended questions in computer science. Then a few weeks later I was scheduled another phone interview the same hiring manager and two of his team members. They had sent me an algorithm to code and I would submit on GitHub for critique. A week later I made it to the final round interviewing and was flown out to Bristol, CT. There I had six hours straight interviewing with directors, managers and faculty in the department. Questions ranged from easy to difficult and sporadic throughout the day. It personally wasn't for me. Plan for a quick turn around and really know your stuff.

Interview Questions
    • From a male engineer to a female engineer, would you feel comfortable dealing with issues of superiority, because it has happened in the past, and I can't guarantee it won't happen again.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

I applied online on TWDC website and got an email about 3 weeks later from HR in the Bristol office asking to set up 2 phone interviews. I would be speaking with 2 directors - 1 is in NY and the other 1 was in LA. HR was very accommodating to my schedule and the directors I spoke two were okay. I expected them to ask about my current job experience and skillset or even ask me sports trivia questions (as some people were asked that from seeing previous interviews on here).

But no. I was not. I was grilled some pretty tough questions about the cable industry and the Pay TV industry. I felt like I answered the first 2 really well, but the last question was a curveball that I couldn't answer adequately.

1) ESPN has had some challenges with declining Pay TV subscribers. What is the reason behind this and what would you suggest as a solution?

2) Would you recommend that ESPN maintain its current business model or should it shift toward an 'a la carte' model and offer a standalone service? What is the challenge behind the latter and what would you offer as a remedy?

Obviously the questions were relevant because the position I applied for pertained to Business Strategy in the cable landscape, but still, it was hard.

I only got as far as the phone interview. No in person interview and no offer. I got a rejection email about 2 weeks later. All in all, the entire process took about 5 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • 3) The Dodgers and Time Warner have had some difficulties in the LA market. What is this problem and how does it affect the landscape of the Pay TV industry?   Answer Question

Sales Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

Was asked to apply for the position then set up for 2 phone interviews. Moved on the next phase and went on 4 more phone interview with Directors and HR. Then asked to come in to interview with VP. I also had to present a 30 min mock presentation to about 6 employees. The process was well communicated each step of the way making it very smooth and all the employees made it such a great process.

Interview Questions
    • It was just a lot of different people to talk to. I felt as if I repeated myself a lot and got confused as to who I told what and what I had to bring up again.   Answer Question
    • Talk about any ESPN or Disney platforms/mediums that you are familiar with.   Answer Question
    Did not care to negotiate. They asked me early in the interview what I expected and this met my expectations

PA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ESPN in August 2012.

very intense interview sessions and knowledge based questions

Ad Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ESPN in September 2010.

The initial Interview process is rigorous. Went through 2 rounds of 4 interviews each time. All interviews were 1x1 with people you would work with in some fashion. If the role is very technical in nature they do test you on some of the technology they may be using. They also did conduct a very deep background check and verified everything listed on resume.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with conflict with a manager of another team?   Answer Question
    I should have negotiated more they do entertain it.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in March 2012.

The level of communication throughout the entire process was fantastic. ESPN responded to my online application in a timely manner. I started with a phone interview within a week of the initial contact. I was then flown to NYC for an interview with several people. My HR contact made all of my travel arrangements. All expenses were covered except parking at the airport. The next step was an interview at the Bristol location. Once again, all my expenses were covered. They could not have made the process any easier.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was when one individual asked my to solve a technical issue they were having, without my seeing the system. I am a visual person so this was very challenging.   Answer Question

The cost of benefits was too great given the salary they offered. Otherwise, I would have jumped at the chance to work with them.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN in April 2010.

Appalling unprofessional

Interview Questions
    • Why did you take on your current job - it appears to be a demotion from your previous role?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in September 2011.

the first assessment was online.. 45 mins to complete and you can use the internet/magazines/newspapers... everything about sports!! Colleges big name players went to, teams, everything!