ESPN

Relevance Date Difficulty

Researcher Interview

Researcher
Bristol, CT

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ESPN in March 2012.

Interview Details – The level of communication throughout the entire process was fantastic. ESPN responded to my online application in a timely manner. I started with a phone interview within a week of the initial contact. I was then flown to NYC for an interview with several people. My HR contact made all of my travel arrangements. All expenses were covered except parking at the airport. The next step was an interview at the Bristol location. Once again, all my expenses were covered. They could not have made the process any easier.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was when one individual asked my to solve a technical issue they were having, without my seeing the system. I am a visual person so this was very challenging.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The cost of benefits was too great given the salary they offered. Otherwise, I would have jumped at the chance to work with them.

Android Engineer Interview

Android Engineer
Warren, CT

The process took a day - interviewed at ESPN in June 2012.

Interview Details – The interviewer asked me
1) What class I have used for the creating the UI?
2) Asked about my app, what are main classes used?
3)What I have used for debugging the app (adb or DDMS or logcat)
4) What I know about ESPN sports channel and its circulation and other sports, Guy was a B.A(known from his linkedin profile) not sure if he was looking for a techie or a sportsman.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at ESPN in May 2011.

Interview Details – It was thorough and comprised of many different elements. An in-person case, a take home case, questions about elements of the 10ks.

Interview Question – Depreciation Vs amortization   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate harder than I did for my salary. Negotiation is critical

Production Assistant Interview

Production Assistant
Bristol, CT

The process took a day - interviewed at ESPN in May 2012.

Interview Details – I sent my resume and an electronic application to the company in March. By April I received an initial call asking for a phone interview. The phone interview was with the top production employees at ESPN. The interview went well it was relaxed and the staff seemed nice. They just asked what I liked about production and sports. Good interview overall.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for ESPN? (answer wisely!)   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Data Specialist Interview

Data Specialist
Bristol, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at ESPN in February 2012.

Interview Details – Great interview, relaxed and straight forward, however the job ended up not being funded and was therefore not filled.

Interview Question – Ability to learn new business practices.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Graphic Developer Specialist Interview

Graphic Developer Specialist
Los Angeles, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at ESPN in January 2012.

Interview Details – I interview with the Creative Director. He was the most down to earth person ever. It was the best interview I've ever had and even though I did not get the job I came away with a positive feeling. I wish all interviewers would take a class from this guy.

Interview Question – What are your interests.   Answer Question

Design Interview

Design
Bristol, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ESPN in January 2011.

Interview Details – I am not interested in sports, but found it interesting to imagine myself working on a complex sports web site as a designer and information architect. The recruiter pumped me up a lot to ESPN, and ESPN picked me up in a limo in Manhattan, and drove me out to Connecticut to meet the web design team. Abut four people interviewed me, and everyone was really nice and asked great questions. I left with a distinct feeling that the job was mine if I were to press harder, but the football, baseball, basketball, and hockey culture at ESPN just did nothing for me, and I knew that I couldn't do much for them if my heart wasn't in love with sports. Two days later I called and told them this, they respected my decision, and that was that.

Stats and Information Interview

Stats and Information
Bristol, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ESPN in June 2011.

Interview Details – You have to take a sports knowledge test and then an HR person called. They just asked basic questions about what your strengths and weaknesses were, why you want to intern there, etc. They were nice. I was just nervous. It was my dream place to work! My advice: Don't be nervous and don't ramble.

Interview Question – If Alex Rodriguez got traded to the Red Sox, what stats would you use to tell the story?   Answer Question

Event Operations Intern Interview

Event Operations Intern
Bristol, CT

The process took a day - interviewed at ESPN in March 2011.

Interview Details – Received a call from someone likely from HR in early March. The conversation of great and lasted nearly a half hour. The first 10 or so minutes was all about how I received/viewed ESPN content (i.e. magazine subscriptions, ESPN iPhone apps, Insider, ect...). Unfortunately I don't subscribe to a lot of that stuff and ultimately I think that's what hurt me in the long run. The rest of the interview went really well, asked a lot of question about my college experiences and leading/managing people. Afterwards, I had a good feeling about it and was expecting another call. Instead I got an email about 1 1/2 later saying the had filled the position. I later found out that internship went to old friend of mine at a different university and was happy to know a solid individual got the opportunity. Overall a good experience.

Interview Question – Emphasis on how I received ESPN content.   Answer Question

Technical Producer Interview

Technical Producer
Seattle, WA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at ESPN in October 2011.

Interview Details – the entire interview process was normal and expected... until the end. Did the initial phone screen with HR, then a phone call with someone in the management chain. All went well, so about 2 weeks after the initial calls, the in-person interview was scheduled with 3 people. Parking in their garage in Seattle was $31, and when I made a comment about the high cost of parking for 3 hours, the first person just laughed and said it was paid for full-timers (I was actually expecting validation, but I blew it off and laughed along with him, no biggie).
Anyway, met with he first person, things went well, we seemed to hit it off. Met the 2nd person, things went OK, seemed like we missed connecting a bit, but I've had far worse interviews in my life. Met the 3rd person and got a strange vibe form the start. He seemed intimidated, and was clearly uncomfortable. It was weird to say the least. No biggie, it happens, and I did not get the job, as you might imagine.
It was not a big deal, but the thing that chapped my hide more than anything was the fact that they told me they would make a decision within a few days, and then never got back with me! I sent one email every Thursday for 4 weeks straight asking for a status update (I knew I didn't get the job, but expected confirmation because, who really knows until they say No, right?).
I never heard back from anyone so after 4 weeks I contacted HR, and of course they said no dice.
I can tell you that even if the interview was that bad (which I do not think it was, as I've been the interviewer and the interviewee many times in my professional career), the LEAST they could have done was let me know I was no longer being considered. Totally unprofessional. I'm a big boy, I can handle bad news. To not tell someone the status of an interview after they've made an emotional, financial and time commitment is just about the worst thing a company can do, and ESPN/Disney would be ashamed if they knew they have employees who think this is OK. Karma comes around 2X, so I'm not losing any sleep, but be wary of the interview process with ESPN/Disney in Seattle.