ESPN Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2015

2.9

Freelancer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ESPN in May 2013.

Interview

So much pressure to figure out what is wanted and at the end it feels like it was for no reason. I felt like a dog doing tricks and chasing its tail

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work for this company. Because ive been watching you guys for years   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ESPN.

Interview

I was supposed to get called for an interview but that never happened and i was really confused about that.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

Interview

First got contacted by HR, got through because I knew somebody that works at ESPN. A week later, I got a second phone call from someone in ESPN Production. The Interview lasted around forty minutes. I felt confident throughout the entire phone call answering questions, but I did mess up on some of the sports questions he asked at the end.

Interview Questions

• Who won the latest Nascar Tournament?
      Who won the last World Cup?

Answer Question

Stats and Analysis Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ESPN (Fort Worth, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

They visited the campus of my university and had an information session for people who wanted to apply. Candidates they wanted needed to be well versed in the statistical realm and be familiar with the advanced stats of sports. The on campus interview was relaxed and informative but I did not receive an offer

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in April 2013.

Interview

A few phone interviews then fly into Bristol for a day of interviews. Similar questions to other sofware compaines. Not as difficult as amazon/google/other silicon valley big boys, but tougher than software consulting firms. Some sports questions as well to gauge interest in sports. Dont fake your way through the sports questions, much better to admit if you dont care about sports, its not a big deal people just dont want to work with a fabricator. I didnt do any negotiating with the offer

Interview Questions

Interview

I did not get to the interview process. The recruiter insisted that I would have to reveal my salary history prior to moving forward in the process. My personal policy is never to do this, and almost all recruiters eventually respect this. From this recruiter, I got this load of bull:

"...I discussed our conversation with my superiors. Unfortunately in order to proceed I would at least need your salary history. The rationale is that we need to be sure we are placing people who fit appropriately with the how the other members of the team are compensated, that we will be able to give appropriate raises and that we will be able to retain talent for an extended period. From a recruitment perspective we are generally trying to push the needle up for salaries so we can get the best talent in the door."

Interview Questions

• What is your salary history?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ESPN.

Interview

Applied through company website, received an email the following morning to set up a phone interview. When the recruiter called, it was not the same person I had been corresponding with via email and she never mentioned her name..so I had no way of sending her a thank you email following the phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 13 minutes, standard questions.

Statistics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ESPN (Dallas, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied on campus and interviewed on campus. Interview was pretty straightforward - we discussed sports and I was asked about how much I knew about advanced statistics and ESPN. If you are well-versed in these fields, as I was, you should be fine. Afterwards, I was told to apply online and complete a sports quiz which was pretty simple. After following up with the interviewer, I was told I could expect to hear back regarding the next round within a month. It's been almost three and I've heard nothing.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical question about what type of TV Graphic you'd make given a certain news item   1 Answer

Stas and Info Interview

Interview

The one-hour timed test was a crunch but enjoyable. The phone interview which followed was very focused on one-sport, in my case baseball. Not being a baseball enthusiast, I found this difficult

Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in January 2013.

Interview

I recently did a flyout to visit ESPN to interview for a role as a mobile software engineer, so I'll offer a few points about my experience there that might help folks in a general sense, as well as some points for those interviewing for software engineer roles in a specific sense.

The first thing was that the interviewing process took at least a month or maybe closer to two months. This may have been because of the holidays (before & after Thanksgiving & Christmas) or it might have been because this ESPN group wasn't super urgent on making decisions. I did manage to pass all the various phone screens and phone conversations (the technical questions and "getting to know you" calls with the higher ups). It was at that point the H.R. drone arranged for me to do the trip.

ESPN appears to be somewhat strict with how they do fly-outs: travel to & from your home airport is not reimbursed (i.e. if you have to take a taxi, you must pay for that out of pocket). They also will not cover GPS charges for the rental car, but printed-out Google map directions almost worked perfectly (see note in next paragraph). They only pay for two meals & one night's hotel, so if you want to see a bit of the area, you'll have to pay for the second night yourself. The hotel they put me up at, the Clarion, was under severe renovation and was not a good night's sleep… but after March of 2013, the hotel will be re-flagged as a DoubleTree by Hilton and should be somewhat more comfortable.

Regarding the campus, it's an impressive collection of buildings surrounded by an iron fence. Now here is where you need to be a bit careful in your driving: if you follow Google's directions (or even the BING instructions that your H.R. resource sends you), it will send you to a closed gate (which used to be a public street named "Birch"). You'll find an open gate between the former "Birch" street and Middle Street but it's also the wrong entrance. Instead of that "North" gate, you actually want to go in the "South" gate… which you can reach by going a little further south on Middle Street and then turning left on West street. And this is where you'll find Building 9, which is the security building where all candidates check in.

Speaking of security, I've never seen tighter or more visible security in any other corporate installation. You must show your ID to get past the South gate, then again when you end up in Building 9 to get your "visitor" sticker. Lastly, you'll park your car and get driven in a security van to where your interview will be and your first interviewer will be waiting for you in the lobby. If you'd like to use the Internet while on campus (e.g. if you want to demonstrate something you've done that requires remote server access, or show off apps that live on a non-ESPN website), you must ask the hiring manager to issue you a temporary password which will get you onto the guest WiFi network.

One thing that irritated me significantly was the H.R. person insisted that I wear a business suit to the engineering interview. I tend to "dress nicely" for West Coast interviews (because suits are far too formal for waving my arms while doing technical explanations in front of a well worn white board) and I also "dress better" for East Coast interviews. For ESPN, I ended up buying an expensive brand new suit. When I showed up on-site, nobody was dressed more formal than cargo or khaki pants, t-shirts and sweatshirts (multiple layers for variable indoor & outdoor weather, etc.) and I ended up being quite uncomfortable -- and feeling quite overdressed -- while trying to explain myself & my background. It's still probably a safe bet to wear a suit if your interview is **NOT** for an engineering role.

I probably shouldn't have to remind you, but even if you're interviewing for an engineering role, try to get as familiar as you can with the products you might end up working with. Another important thing is to try to drop as many sports-related anecdotes as possible. If you can admit to being a sports nut and it sounds credible, that's likely to be a big plus.

Another thing that made me uncomfortable was the age difference between me (I'm early 40's) and the engineering team, the oldest of them might have been 34 or 35. Some of the guys I spoke with have only been with ESPN since getting out of school years ago, which is almost unheard of in the computer science world (which usually has more frequent job jumping); but then again, the benefits at ESPN are indeed quite impressive (ESPN is the only company I've heard of that actually continues to offer pensions).

In any event, I was glad to get to visit ESPN and I hope my experience flunking the interview will help you to prepare and pass yours. If my interview notes helped you out, please let me know by voting "yes" on the "Helpful?" question below.

Interview Questions

• What's a managed object context?   1 Answer
    • What's the angle between the hands of a clock if the time is 3:15.   2 Answers
    • Design a block function that returns an array and Bool.   1 Answer