ESPN Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.9

Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN in January 2013.

I recently did a flyout to visit ESPN to interview for a role as a mobile software engineer, so I'll offer a few points about my experience there that might help folks in a general sense, as well as some points for those interviewing for software engineer roles in a specific sense.

The first thing was that the interviewing process took at least a month or maybe closer to two months. This may have been because of the holidays (before & after Thanksgiving & Christmas) or it might have been because this ESPN group wasn't super urgent on making decisions. I did manage to pass all the various phone screens and phone conversations (the technical questions and "getting to know you" calls with the higher ups). It was at that point the H.R. drone arranged for me to do the trip.

ESPN appears to be somewhat strict with how they do fly-outs: travel to & from your home airport is not reimbursed (i.e. if you have to take a taxi, you must pay for that out of pocket). They also will not cover GPS charges for the rental car, but printed-out Google map directions almost worked perfectly (see note in next paragraph). They only pay for two meals & one night's hotel, so if you want to see a bit of the area, you'll have to pay for the second night yourself. The hotel they put me up at, the Clarion, was under severe renovation and was not a good night's sleep… but after March of 2013, the hotel will be re-flagged as a DoubleTree by Hilton and should be somewhat more comfortable.

Regarding the campus, it's an impressive collection of buildings surrounded by an iron fence. Now here is where you need to be a bit careful in your driving: if you follow Google's directions (or even the BING instructions that your H.R. resource sends you), it will send you to a closed gate (which used to be a public street named "Birch"). You'll find an open gate between the former "Birch" street and Middle Street but it's also the wrong entrance. Instead of that "North" gate, you actually want to go in the "South" gate… which you can reach by going a little further south on Middle Street and then turning left on West street. And this is where you'll find Building 9, which is the security building where all candidates check in.

Speaking of security, I've never seen tighter or more visible security in any other corporate installation. You must show your ID to get past the South gate, then again when you end up in Building 9 to get your "visitor" sticker. Lastly, you'll park your car and get driven in a security van to where your interview will be and your first interviewer will be waiting for you in the lobby. If you'd like to use the Internet while on campus (e.g. if you want to demonstrate something you've done that requires remote server access, or show off apps that live on a non-ESPN website), you must ask the hiring manager to issue you a temporary password which will get you onto the guest WiFi network.

One thing that irritated me significantly was the H.R. person insisted that I wear a business suit to the engineering interview. I tend to "dress nicely" for West Coast interviews (because suits are far too formal for waving my arms while doing technical explanations in front of a well worn white board) and I also "dress better" for East Coast interviews. For ESPN, I ended up buying an expensive brand new suit. When I showed up on-site, nobody was dressed more formal than cargo or khaki pants, t-shirts and sweatshirts (multiple layers for variable indoor & outdoor weather, etc.) and I ended up being quite uncomfortable -- and feeling quite overdressed -- while trying to explain myself & my background. It's still probably a safe bet to wear a suit if your interview is **NOT** for an engineering role.

I probably shouldn't have to remind you, but even if you're interviewing for an engineering role, try to get as familiar as you can with the products you might end up working with. Another important thing is to try to drop as many sports-related anecdotes as possible. If you can admit to being a sports nut and it sounds credible, that's likely to be a big plus.

Another thing that made me uncomfortable was the age difference between me (I'm early 40's) and the engineering team, the oldest of them might have been 34 or 35. Some of the guys I spoke with have only been with ESPN since getting out of school years ago, which is almost unheard of in the computer science world (which usually has more frequent job jumping); but then again, the benefits at ESPN are indeed quite impressive (ESPN is the only company I've heard of that actually continues to offer pensions).

In any event, I was glad to get to visit ESPN and I hope my experience flunking the interview will help you to prepare and pass yours. If my interview notes helped you out, please let me know by voting "yes" on the "Helpful?" question below.

Interview Questions
    • What's a managed object context?   View Answer
    • What's the angle between the hands of a clock if the time is 3:15.   View Answers (2)
    • Design a block function that returns an array and Bool.   View Answer

Web Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in February 2013.

Applied online through their career site, initially for WatchESPN. Interviewed with a manager from Watch and he thought I would be a better fit for the live events team. Had an interview with a manager rom the live events team.

Interview Questions
    • Interview consisted of basic sports questions (recent championship teams/players mostly) and some basic HTML and CSS questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for this position.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ESPN in February 2013.

Very professional and thorough. Exchanged many emails setting up interview along with a couple of calls. Interviewer was on time and communicated with me every step of the way beforehand.

Statistics Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN in January 2013.

Applied to the position online, but also had a contact through a friend with a recruiter. After some phone interviews and an aptitude test (not for the faint of heart), I traveled to Bristol for the in-person portion. Great facility and awesome crew of people. After a long time waiting and ultimately having to resubmit my paperwork, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you do your homework, you can get most of the prep for the aptitude test handled in advance. That said, if you think you "know sports" and can just knock out facts ranging from live scoring, history, current topics, problem-solving, etc. for all the major sports, tennis, golf, etc., you'll be slapped around by some cold hard reality.   Answer Question

Had another offer that paid more and had more regular hours (9-5)

Designer - Fantasy Games Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ESPN in December 2012.

Had a phone screening with HR. They recommended me for this position. After a few basic questions, they set up a followup interview with the head of the fantasy games development.

That interview was fairly basic. After describing the position in further detail, he asked more in depth about my portfolio and the ESPN.com fantasy games website, in which they wanted to know what design changes I had in mind for the site.

Technical Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN in November 2012.

I applied two/three months before and got a call. The process went smoothly as just one skype video interview as last a call if wanting the offer. It wasn't that difficult as expected.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't that much of a challenging question for this position all they ask was if you know what to do for this job as know some technical process and last they will ask you about sports since this a leading sports broadcasting company.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiation.

ESPN Stats and Info Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN in November 2012.

I had to answer many sport questions.
    After I passed the test, I had a one on one interview with a recruiter about the job. He told me no job was available at first. After a one or two months later, I was given the opportunity to have an interview for the stats and info position. I had two phone interviews that was supposed to last around 30 minutes each. The interviewers do not make the decision. After 2 months later, I got the call that I was rejected.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ESPN in November 2012.

Had a phone interview 1st, an onsite interview the next day and was hired on the 3rd day! Unheard of these days but the way it was before 9/11 and how it should still be. Old school rules!

Very easy and pleasant.

Statistics Associate Ll Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN in October 2012.

i first met with a recruiter who offered to give me an assessment for the stats associate position. From there, I passed and moved on to a phone interview with the recruiter. After that stage, I then had two more phone interviews with two managers in the Stats and Information group. They were all very friendly and asked questions regarding my knowledge of sports and how I was able to utilize and interpret statistics in sports. The were very cordial throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • How have you used your major in your analysis of sports?   Answer Question

Digital Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN in September 2012.

Took a long time to hear back from them after initial interview