ESPN

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

I applied online on TWDC website and got an email about 3 weeks later from HR in the Bristol office asking to set up 2 phone interviews. I would be speaking with 2 directors - 1 is in NY and the other 1 was in LA. HR was very accommodating to my schedule and the directors I spoke two were okay. I expected them to ask about my current job experience and skillset or even ask me sports trivia questions (as some people were asked that from seeing previous interviews on here).

But no. I was not. I was grilled some pretty tough questions about the cable industry and the Pay TV industry. I felt like I answered the first 2 really well, but the last question was a curveball that I couldn't answer adequately.

1) ESPN has had some challenges with declining Pay TV subscribers. What is the reason behind this and what would you suggest as a solution?

2) Would you recommend that ESPN maintain its current business model or should it shift toward an 'a la carte' model and offer a standalone service? What is the challenge behind the latter and what would you offer as a remedy?

Obviously the questions were relevant because the position I applied for pertained to Business Strategy in the cable landscape, but still, it was hard.

I only got as far as the phone interview. No in person interview and no offer. I got a rejection email about 2 weeks later. All in all, the entire process took about 5 weeks.

Interview Questions
  • 3) The Dodgers and Time Warner have had some difficulties in the LA market. What is this problem and how does it affect the landscape of the Pay TV industry?   Answer Question