ESPN

Updated Dec 17, 2014

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ESPN.

The interview questions were reasonable and straight forward, but the Sports Assessment test was more challenging that I had anticipated because of the time limit that the system imposes upon the interviewee. Although I thought I had a reasonable amount of sports knowledge, I learned that there is much more to follow if I want to work as a statistics analyst.

Interview Questions
  • Explain three major front line stories in _______ conference in the past week.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ESPN

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ESPN in March 2013.

Applied on campus and interviewed on campus. Interview was pretty straightforward - we discussed sports and I was asked about how much I knew about advanced statistics and ESPN. If you are well-versed in these fields, as I was, you should be fine. Afterwards, I was told to apply online and complete a sports quiz which was pretty simple. After following up with the interviewer, I was told I could expect to hear back regarding the next round within a month. It's been almost three and I've heard nothing.

Interview Questions
    • Hypothetical question about what type of TV Graphic you'd make given a certain news item   View Answer

Statistics Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ESPN in January 2013.

Applied to the position online, but also had a contact through a friend with a recruiter. After some phone interviews and an aptitude test (not for the faint of heart), I traveled to Bristol for the in-person portion. Great facility and awesome crew of people. After a long time waiting and ultimately having to resubmit my paperwork, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you do your homework, you can get most of the prep for the aptitude test handled in advance. That said, if you think you "know sports" and can just knock out facts ranging from live scoring, history, current topics, problem-solving, etc. for all the major sports, tennis, golf, etc., you'll be slapped around by some cold hard reality.   Answer Question

Had another offer that paid more and had more regular hours (9-5)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

The process took a dayinterviewed at ESPN in May 2010.

Just a bunch of sports knowledge questions. I failed to remember who the last NHL Stanley Cup winner was and that pretty much ended my interview.

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ESPN in July 2009.

Be prepared for lots of sports trivia! I had two basic questions about why I applied and why I wanted to work there. Then they asked about my sports knowledge with questions like:
    Which NFL QB has thrown for the most touchdowns?
    What are the 4 major golf tournaments?
    Who is the winningest NCAA basketball coach?
    Name two Lakers besides Kobe
    How is ERA calculated?

and the one that effectively ended the interview for me:
    Name the last 5 Heisman winners and their schools.

Interview Questions
    • Name the last 5 Heisman Trophy winners and their schools.   View Answer