1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Technical Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ESPN in October 2011.

the entire interview process was normal and expected... until the end. Did the initial phone screen with HR, then a phone call with someone in the management chain. All went well, so about 2 weeks after the initial calls, the in-person interview was scheduled with 3 people. Parking in their garage in Seattle was $31, and when I made a comment about the high cost of parking for 3 hours, the first person just laughed and said it was paid for full-timers (I was actually expecting validation, but I blew it off and laughed along with him, no biggie).
Anyway, met with he first person, things went well, we seemed to hit it off. Met the 2nd person, things went OK, seemed like we missed connecting a bit, but I've had far worse interviews in my life. Met the 3rd person and got a strange vibe form the start. He seemed intimidated, and was clearly uncomfortable. It was weird to say the least. No biggie, it happens, and I did not get the job, as you might imagine.
It was not a big deal, but the thing that chapped my hide more than anything was the fact that they told me they would make a decision within a few days, and then never got back with me! I sent one email every Thursday for 4 weeks straight asking for a status update (I knew I didn't get the job, but expected confirmation because, who really knows until they say No, right?).
I never heard back from anyone so after 4 weeks I contacted HR, and of course they said no dice.
I can tell you that even if the interview was that bad (which I do not think it was, as I've been the interviewer and the interviewee many times in my professional career), the LEAST they could have done was let me know I was no longer being considered. Totally unprofessional. I'm a big boy, I can handle bad news. To not tell someone the status of an interview after they've made an emotional, financial and time commitment is just about the worst thing a company can do, and ESPN/Disney would be ashamed if they knew they have employees who think this is OK. Karma comes around 2X, so I'm not losing any sleep, but be wary of the interview process with ESPN/Disney in Seattle.

Interview Questions