ETH Zurich

Relevance Date Difficulty

PhD Candidate Interview

PhD Candidate

Interviewed at ETH Zurich

Interview Details – direct contact with the supervisor or through life science graduate program. single interview was enough. work permit could be a potential issue. outcome of the interview was successful and resulted in an offer.

Interview Question – drug development questions   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at ETH Zurich in September 2011.

Interview Details – ETH has the continental european system of doing a PhD. As compared to the anglo-saxon system where people get a Bachelor's degree and then apply for grad school followed by some years of research, at ETH you have to have a Master's before starting the PhD. The PhD itself then doesn't include any courses or quals and consists only of research. Application normally happens directly with the professor you'd like to supervise your thesis.

Interview Question – Generally you're asked to give a presentation of a topic of your chosing, typically your Master's thesis.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's not much room for negotiation as the salaries are basically fixed. The only thing to negotiate is whether you have a full-time position or not.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Administrative Coordinator
Basel (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at ETH Zurich in June 2014.

Interview Details – I received an interview package with date and location as well as the emails and phone numbers of the people I would be interviewing with in case there where any questions.
The interview was very thorough and professional with a great informal atmosphere.
Overall the staff and interviewer where friendly and I got a very good vibe from the facility, people and institution of the ETH location in Basel.

Interview Question – Thorough knowledge of submitting reports to the EU commission was required.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Post Doc Interview

Post Doc
Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at ETH Zurich in January 2011.

Interview Details – Got an offer via e-mail, based on publications and previously meeting the professor at conferences. Was then invited to give a talk about my research and had a discussion with the professor about an upcoming project. We also went to lunch together with some of the PhD students and another Post Doc.

Interview Question – No specific questions were asked, just a usual scientific discussion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, salaries are standardized and public

PhD Interview

PhD
Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at ETH Zurich in July 2012.

Interview Details – Send mail. If they are interested they will ask you for presentation or personal interview. If they are happy then the procedure will start.

Interview Question – Conceptual questions that you might not notice that much during experimental work. your contribution and what was innovative from your side.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Don't join group without knowing their working environment and situation. sometimes, it is good to work their for 2-3 months before starting PhD.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ETH Zurich.

Interview Details – The interview was very easy, was offered the position the very next day. The typical questions were to be expected- topic of graduate studies, how are you going to fit in the work environment, what will you bring to the project, etc.

Interview Question – No questions were unexpected, but always the "greatest weakness."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, paid according to diplomas.

Manager Interview

Manager
Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ETH Zurich in April 2012.

Interview Details – 1) 1st interview: Introduction and getting to know each other.
2) Submit the letter of motivation according to fit the description of job scope (how you can contribute)
3) 2nd interview: Trial and testing on the skills.

Interview Question – Technical skills on Mac computer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They already have the benchmark for the benefits and compensation.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at ETH Zurich.

Interview Details – The whole process was handled very efficiently and professionally. The applicants are first filtered by the HR and the remaining candidates' portfolios get sent to the professor who then selects the few top applicants (usually 3-5) which are then invited for an interview.

Interview Question – What was the hardest situation you faced in your last project and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's no room to negotiate the salary, as it's fixed salary depending on the grant money. However, the start date was negotiable.

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
Lugano (Switzerland)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ETH Zurich in September 2009.

Interview Details – Sent a mail enquiry, sponsored by an internal known employer.
Got an interview on site. Seminar to the group. One-to-one interview with the members of the lab. Final interview with the head of the lab.

Interview Question – technical question on the seminar   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ETH Zurich in February 2009.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by all members of the group (1 hour each) and the professor. I gave a presentation on my previous work. My interviews were partly talk about their work and partly about mine; they would get technical very quickly.

Negotiation Details – Very fast. The academic salary is not negotiable in Switzerland.

Interviews for Top Jobs at ETH Zurich

Worked for ETH Zurich? Contribute to the Community!