ETH Zurich Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ETH Zurich (Zürich (Switzerland)).

Interview

Two rounds of Skype interview. Questions on courses and previous internships. Then visit to the lab, which included 3 rounds of interview and interaction with other members. Also included a presentation on Masters Thesis. Also explained an overview on the project topic. Questions mainly focused on core courses. Why is there a fifty word limit.?????? It is just tooo much.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ETH Zurich.

Interview

Applied online directly by email to the professor. I got an answer the following day, asking for an video interview. The interview lasted about one hour after which I was asked some sample work and references. I then received the offer from Professor quickly after. The formal contract with ETH took longer to arrive.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, asked about research interests, why applying there etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, everything is standarized,

PhD Candidate Interview

Interview

direct contact with the supervisor or through life science graduate program. single interview was enough. work permit could be a potential issue. outcome of the interview was successful and resulted in an offer.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Basel (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ETH Zurich (Basel (Switzerland)) in June 2014.

Interview

I received an interview package with date and location as well as the emails and phone numbers of the people I would be interviewing with in case there where any questions. The interview was very thorough and professional with a great informal atmosphere. Overall the staff and interviewer where friendly and I got a very good vibe from the facility, people and institution of the ETH location in Basel.

Interview Questions

• Thorough knowledge of submitting reports to the EU commission was required.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ETH Zurich.

Interview

The interview was very easy, was offered the position the very next day. The typical questions were to be expected- topic of graduate studies, how are you going to fit in the work environment, what will you bring to the project, etc.

Interview Questions

• No questions were unexpected, but always the "greatest weakness."   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, paid according to diplomas.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at ETH Zurich.

Interview

The whole process was handled very efficiently and professionally. The applicants are first filtered by the HR and the remaining candidates' portfolios get sent to the professor who then selects the few top applicants (usually 3-5) which are then invited for an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest situation you faced in your last project and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There's no room to negotiate the salary, as it's fixed salary depending on the grant money. However, the start date was negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ETH Zurich (Zürich (Switzerland)) in February 2014.

Interview

First step: approached a professor directly (cover letter as email body, plus CV attached), and inquired about an available position. Second step: personal, mostly informal meetings - one-on-one meetings with every member of the research group. Third step: gave a presentation (topic: free of choice, about a previous work) in front on the whole research group, then one-on-one meetings.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest scientific/technical question for me, which I would like to answer/solve in my life - maybe independently from the actual PhD application.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation happened. The only negotiable part is the percentage of employment - it effects the working time and the salary, but based on the percentage it is still predefined (as well as working conditions) by govermental laws and/or university.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ETH Zurich in November 2013.

Interview

It was a group interview with a number of referees from different disciplines. The questions were fairly general, however the committee lack of expert that really understand the applicant's expertise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ETH Zurich (Zürich (Switzerland)) in February 2013.

Interview

My initial plan was to stay at my current department for a PhD (ee@ETHZ) , but my current thesis advisor insisted that I apply for multiple positions to increase my chances. By chance, I stumbled upon a opening for a project on synthetic aperture radar, one of my secret passions. Since the opening was almost two months old, I contacted them via email to see whether the position was still available. They encouraged me to apply, I had to write a motivation letter and a brief statement of my research interests. After two weeks, I was contacted via email for a interview on site. I happen to be a EE student at the same school, so it was no problem to meet the whole research group for a afternoon. I first met the professor and a senior scientist. Very nice people, we briefly discussed my current situation, my motivation for pursuing a PhD and my plans. I was already told that being the only student from the ETHZ my chances were good. Afterwards, I gave a brief presentation of my previous research experience and we had a very stimulating question time. Finally, I had the opportunity to discuss with some PhD students and Post Doc. on their current research. I was told to wait a week for a decision, and afterwards I got an offer. Overall I had a very good impression. Needless to say that I accepted the position Update: we have discussed the terms of my employment. The projects starts from june. I'll write a review as soon as I start working.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to pursue a PhD? Are you aware that as an engineer there's plenty of well paid jobs in the industry?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. The salary is standard as advertised on the opening.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ETH Zurich.

Interview

direct employement after graduating from Eth masters

Negotiation

none