ETH Zurich

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Lugano (Switzerland)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ETH Zurich in September 2009.

Interview Details – Sent a mail enquiry, sponsored by an internal known employer.
Got an interview on site. Seminar to the group. One-to-one interview with the members of the lab. Final interview with the head of the lab.

Interview Question – technical question on the seminar   Answer Question

PhD Student

I applied online - interviewed at ETH Zurich in January 2013.

Interview Details – Apply by email. I was selected mainly because of my good references

Interview Question – Technical questions, which approach would I follow to tackle a given problem   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase, simply you accept their conditions or not

Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ETH Zurich in February 2013.

Interview Details – My initial plan was to stay at my current department for a PhD (ee@ETHZ) , but my current thesis advisor insisted that I apply for multiple positions to increase my chances. By chance, I stumbled upon a opening for a project on synthetic aperture radar, one of my secret passions. Since the opening was almost two months old, I contacted them via email to see whether the position was still available. They encouraged me to apply, I had to write a motivation letter and a brief statement of my research interests. After two weeks, I was contacted via email for a interview on site. I happen to be a EE student at the same school, so it was no problem to meet the whole research group for a afternoon. I first met the professor and a senior scientist. Very nice people, we briefly discussed my current situation, my motivation for pursuing a PhD and my plans. I was already told that being the only student from the ETHZ my chances were good. Afterwards, I gave a brief presentation of my previous research experience and we had a very stimulating question time. Finally, I had the opportunity to discuss with some PhD students and Post Doc. on their current research. I was told to wait a week for a decision, and afterwards I got an offer.
Overall I had a very good impression. Needless to say that I accepted the position
Update: we have discussed the terms of my employment. The projects starts from june. I'll write a review as soon as I start working.

Interview Question – Why do you want to pursue a PhD? Are you aware that as an engineer there's plenty of well paid jobs in the industry?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The salary is standard as advertised on the opening.

PhD Student

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at ETH Zurich.

Interview Details – direct employement after graduating from Eth masters

Negotiation Details – none

Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ETH Zurich in November 2010.

Interview Details – Usually, all the candidates needs to come here in Zurich to face their final interview.

Interview Question – The most difficult part of Zurich or ETH Zurich is to resolved the housing problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate anything, because I found my offer was quite good compare to other offer what I had before.

Interviewed at ETH Zurich

Interview Details – I first contacted directly the professor, as I got to know him during a lecture at another university. After some email exchange where I also sent my grade transcript, we agreed to meet for an interview. I had to prepare a short presentation about what I have been working on in those years.
As the interview went well, he confirmed after a week or so that he would hire me. From that point, everything went really fast and I signed my contract a few days afterwards.

Interview Question – Why do you think you may be a good candidate as a PhD student?   Answer Question

PhD Student

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ETH Zurich in March 2009.

Interview Details – online application sent to the professor along with research interests and CV.
skype interview: background, some technical questions
on-site interview: presentation of previous work, interviews with all team members (half technical, half generic)

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at ETH Zurich

Worked for ETH Zurich? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ETH Zurich PhD Student interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by ETH Zurich employees and interview candidates.