EVS Broadcast Equipment

Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Support Engineer Interview

Field Support Engineer
Fairfield, NJ

The process took 1 week - interviewed at EVS Broadcast Equipment in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was brought in through a referral to interview with the company after NAB. The interview was actually fairly brief and did have a great deal of intensity or technical questions. This is probably due to the fact that this industry is fairly close knit and new work is typically done by word of mouth. The interview process consisted of one with the 2 GMs and a separate interview with the technical director. The most surprising thing regarding this experience in retrospect was really how little the GMs asked about my technical knowledge. Their questions really zeroed in on character questions, trust, etc which I can understand but made me feel uncomfortable. There were no questions concerning what-if scenarios for customer situations, systems integration, or commissioning of equipment which is the most important aspect of the job. The subject of the interview at this round really concerned internal company situations which I found truly odd. In retrospect I wish that I was more experienced and was paying attention to what was really being asked as it reflects on the culture of the company.

Interview Question – If a particular business or product issue took place and needed to be communicated, how would you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Throughout the entire interviewing process the negotiation phase was the most unorthodox experience that I have ever personally gone through. Despite that fact that the company stated that they needed a support engineer immediately and was going to present an offer, management really dragged their feet. Although I was told on the spot that I was expected to receive an offer, it took over a month until a concrete offer was made. In retrospect, I believe that this is part of their negotiating strategy to bring the compensation level down. When they finally contacted me with an offer it was conducted by phone. To my surprise, when I asked one of the GMs if I could get the compensation package detailed in writing he got upset and I felt like the offer was going to be rescinded. This is a point in time that I actually regret as I feel that this reflects on the culture of the office.

Worked for EVS Broadcast Equipment? Contribute to the Community!