EY Accountant Interview Questions

3.1

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at EY in March 2010.

The whole interview took place in the heart of time square. Some staff took us out for lunch, which was pretty relaxing. The interview was actually pretty casual. The interviewers asked me some really common questions and I felt comfortable answering them. They notified me of the result in a pretty timely fashion.

Interview Questions
  • How do you want me to describe you at the end of this interview?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for EY

Accountant Interview

The process took 3 days - interviewed at EY in October 2009.

It was a very detailed process. They treated me well, put me up in a hotel. It was not an easy interview, lots of technical questions, seems like they would work staff very hard but what do you expect from big 4. I decided to go with another firm after all was said and done.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at EY in October 2008.

The one on one interview itself was everything I had been told to expect. It consisted of a lot of questions of my personality and experiences I had in the past. Most of them focused on group work and wanted to see how well I worked with others. The interviewer also described the job role thoroughly and wanted to make sure I had fully understood what position they were interviewing me for.

Overall it was a great interview and really what I had expected - personality and group experiences. Unfortunately I was not lucky enough to get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to make a hard decision in a group environment.   View Answer

Accountant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months - interviewed at EY.

Know about the business, what it takes to pass the ACA exams, and what it means to work as part of an audit team.

Simple, but inflexible.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at EY in November 2008.

Accounting firms receive thousands of applications each year, both during the recruiting season and otherwise. Your resume is an opportunity to market yourself. Recruiters are not expecting you to have a lot of work experience, but you should point out the skills that are important to accountants. This includes articulating your interest in analyzing financial information, working in teams, and utilizing spreadsheet skills. Accounting recruiters look for the following on resumes:
     •Interest in financial analysis: Accountants spend a lot of time looking at numbers. Demonstrate your passion for numbers! Include, for example, details about your role as treasurer for an organization or your participation in a stock market challenge.
    •Evidence of academic strength. Some firms insist on this information and even set GPA/board score cutoff points when screening applicants.
    • Team player characteristics. Accountants spend a lot of time working within large teams and diverse clients, it is essential that you demonstrate your ability to be a team player and exhibit an ability to work with diverse groups of people.
    • Propensity for leadership, confidence, and maturity. Accounting firms want hire auditors and tax staff with the idea that they can become managers or even partners. Accounting firms want to work with employees who already demonstrate leadership ability. Be sure to provide evidence of organizational situations or roles where you have exhibited leadership and maturity.
    • Accomplishments. Firms seek people who boast accomplishments that demonstrate reliability, tenacity, commitment, motivation, and high standards of excellence.
    • Distinctions. You’ve got lots of competition. However, if you can differentiate yourself on your resume – highlighting technical skills, foreign languages, publications, awards, leadership and/or involvement in campus activities – it will be to your advantage.
    • Communication Skills - Accountants often need to discuss issues with clients or present information in a prepared and professional mannner. Exhibit your ability to communicate organizationally and persuasively. Evidence of this skill can be drawn from activities like giving a speech to a student organization on campus, leading a class presentation, or participating in meetings with campus leadership.
    •Client skills. Accounting is a client business. Accountants must work well with clients. Evidence of your client service skills might include a service-oriented job, like a part-time technical support position or a community service position. Highlight customer service whenever possible!

Other Important Points:
     • Wherever possible, quantify your results to make your achievements more concrete and tangible.
    • Be aware that how you write and structure your resume says a lot about how you communicate with others.
    • Make your resume as concise as possible.

Interview Process

Accounting firms enter the interview process looking for specific characteristics and abilities in a candidate. It is important to spend ample time preparing so you can demonstrate these traits during the interview.

Prior to the interview:
     •Research the opportunities, as well as the strengths of each firm.
    •Become familiar with current issues and trends within the accounting industry.
    •Review accounting fundamentals that may be addressed as questions.
    • Participate in mock interviews offered through the William & Mary Career Center.
     •Leverage the resources of the Career Counselors in the William & Mary Career Center.
    •Review sample interview questions (see examples in the next section).

During the interview:
     •Exhibit a high energy, self-confident, outgoing personality by looking the interviewer in the eyes, shaking hands firmly, and sitting up straight.
     •Discuss your ability to handle conflict and work through stressful situations.
     •Clearly express your goals to demonstrate your sense of direction and focus.
     •Exhibit an ability to communicate effectively, both organizationally and persuasively.
     •Provide examples that demonstrate your initiative to be a self-starter and a leader.
     •Always accept responsibility for your actions, faults, mistakes, or even bad grades.

The Interview

Accounting is known for requiring candidates to respond to a multitude of diverse questions. These include commitment questions, maturity questions, motivation questions, communication skills questions, and technical questions. Each type of question has its own way of providing interviewers with specific information about the candidate. Samples of each are listed below:

Interview Questions
    • Describe the advantages and disadvantages of the different accounting packages/systems you have used recently in your accountant jobs.   View Answer
    • Give me examples of the accounting reports you have prepared.   View Answer

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

interviewed at EY in September 2008.

the firm makes an english test, people should come ready and relax and talk about how they are great working with others and that they see their future in the firm

Interview Questions
    • talk about the things you are noy god at   View Answer

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at EY in January 2010.

1 : HR round
    2 : IQ Test
    3 : Again HR round

Interview Questions
    • maths test & IQ ( no calculator used )   View Answer
    • I need to write a passage with in the given words   View Answer

Accountant Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at EY in April 2011.

The interview was very laid back. The interviewer was a Senior Manager. It was basically going over my resume and a few situational type questions.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

The process took a day - interviewed at EY in February 2011.

Online Application.

Know your NEWS before you go for the interview. They like you to be informed about current affairs.

Accountant Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EY in October 2010.

I was asked a serious of behavior questions, etc. They asked me about how well I worked in teams (both good and bad experiences of teams), what were some of my academic goals. Extracurricular activities was another area that was of interest to my interviewer. Overall the experience was very rewarding and was done in a very professional manner.

Interview Questions

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!