EY

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at EY in March 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview with an HR representative asking very basic information regarding previous jobs, salary expectations, current salary, etc. Week later phone interview with a Manager. It was in-depth conversation with some behavioral questions and some technical questions. They want to get a sense of whether or not you like this particular field and whether or not you would fit in their team. One day later HR rep scheduled a superday at the NY office. 6 1:1 interviews with managers, directors, and staff. Standard behavioral questions, but they really dug deep on technical questions. I couldn't answer most of the technical stuff because my knowledge and expertise is simply not up to their level, but they just want to see how you react to these types of situations. They are looking for enthusiasm and a positive attitude. Two weeks later I get a phone call from the hiring manager explaining that they liked me a lot and the feedback was very positive and they continued the job offer process for about two more weeks of filling out paperwork and various forms. About four weeks after I interviewed at the superday they email me the offer letter.

I went over and beyond with interview preparation and research. I honestly do not think I would have gotten this far without going at least 110%.

Interview Question – What exactly do you do at your current job? It appears you do little to no analysis with the model.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, but I assume the more experience you have the better your chances are, but EY is a very structured company so salaries at each level have minimums and maximums, so be prepared and you should expect what you deserve.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EY in July 2013.

Interview Details – I had been in contact with the company for almost a year before my formal interview. It was an in-office interview I was offered after attending a national conference for college students at my preference location. No hotel stay included, however, all expenses were reimbursed by the firm. The interview was very straight forward. I hesitate to say it was easy. One case study on a basic potential M&A deal where I was asked to list areas of concern and what I would do. No "right" answer, just buzzwords were looked for to make sure I recognized the area was of importance for the client to consider in the deal. Two other behavioral interviews that were very standard. No brainteasers, test on current events etc..

Interview Question – What is consulting?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Have not tried, though I may consider it.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY in November 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter was very positive and kept me in the loop the entire time. I had 3 rounds of interviews (usually there are only 2 but the partner wasn't available for the second round so I had a phone interview with a partner the 3rd round).

Negotiation Details – Fast and easy. We settled the salary negotiation within a day.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EY in February 2012.

Interview Details – I knew someone who worked in the advisory arm. They passed my resume onto Campus Recruiting. I wasn't aware that I would be contacted as quickly as I was, but the head of campus recruiting called me and ran me through a fit interview for about 45 minutes. I answered questions about my past experience and my interest in EY. From there, I was told she'd reach out to me again. A week later I set up a super day interview in their NYC office. I met with two partners in advisory and one senior manager. The two partners were friendly and seemed genuinely interested in me. They asked about prior experience, why I was interested in the Business Advisor Program (BAP), and why EY. The senior manager was als friendly. He ran me through a case study, which was not too hard. I anticipated a Bane or BCG level case, but EY advisory (unbeknownst to me at the time) is not a strategic consulting group. The case was fairly straight forward and required general business and accounting sense, but you definitely did not need to be an accounting major by any stretch. Within two weeks, I was contacted and offered a full-time position following my senior year. I accepted.

Interview Question – No question was extremely difficult. If you have your story straight (be able to talk about your resume) and have paid attention in your business, accounting, and finance classes, you should be fine.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I took the standard salary and signing bonus. They were flexible in my start date.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EY in August 2012.

Interview Details – Got the interview through an internal referral. First I got a phone interview with HR in which I was just told about EY and what I was looking for in terms of career. Very simple stuff and eventually an in-person interview was set up.
The interview was in their NYC building and consisted of 4 interviews (Sr. manager, HR, Exec. Director, Sr. manager). The interview was all about fit and they just asked me to run me through my resume. The only question outside of my resume was about team work and a time I had trouble with working in a group and how I solved it.
Two days later HR called me saying the interview went well and asked me to fill out background check information. 3 days later I got the offer from a call by HR.
Overall, they were very nice and cordial in that they responded fast compared to many of the other companies I have interviewed for so far.

Interview Question – Tell me about a team you had a problem working with others and how you dealt with it. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They have a standard base that they start everyone on

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at EY in November 2010.

Interview Details – Superday. 4 interviewers all 1:1. Mainly fit. One case.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at EY in November 2010.

Interview Details – Standard behavioral interviews, both on campus and during campus visit. E&Y is a lot more conservative than Deloitte. They look for presentability in new hires. Can you dress well and speak intelligently. How is your posture and handshake. Do you have an engaging personality, can you impress people, flatter them?

Interview Questions

• Case Interview: Bank A is merging with Bank B. How can we integrate the IT systems of the two. What is the best option of the 6 possible and why?   View Answer
  • How can we manage security issues associated with employees having access to too much information?   View Answer
  • How will you go about integrating the different data fields for the two banks?   Answer Question
  • What kind of work do you want to do in the future?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – E&Y gave me the best offer of all places I've interviewed for, so i didn't see a need to negotiate

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at EY in November 2009.

Interview Details – Ernst and Young originally came to my school as part of a career fair. After getting information on the company I applied online. I heard back fairly quickly and participated in an on campus interview. It was left that they would contact me if they were interested. I heard back within two weeks and was asked to come to their Time Square office for an interview day. There I participated in four interviews and was given an offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• What leadership positions have you had in the past?   View Answer
  • Give us an example of when you have used critical thinking.   Answer Question

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!