EY Advisory Staff Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Jun 18, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

One senior manager, one director. Very relaxing. Ask some casual questions about my current position, personal interests. Introduced the life in EY to me. Got offer over the phone one week after the interview, but later the position was put on hold.

Interview Questions

• How to internal audit accounts receivable   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for EY

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed with two people. First a senior manager then a director. Very relaxing interview, each one took more than 30 minutes. Introduced the life in EY to me, talked about some personal hobbies. The director ask me some tech questions to see if I have a concept of advisory. Got offer over the phone one week after the interview. But the position was on hold later.

Interview Questions

• How to audit accounts receivable   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Got referred by a EY employee. The recruiter emailed me very soon, and scheduled a phone interview in 3 days. The phone interview was basically questions about my experience and some behavioral based questions After the interview, I didn't hear back from the recruiter. One week later I sent a follow up email, and got rejected.

Interview Questions

• why did you choose your college, describe a time you had problem working with a team   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

Mid september the director of my program sent out an email alerting us to a few job offers EY had for MIS students. I finished my application around Sept. 20th. Later that week I got an email back saying I had an on campus interview the following week. I found the on campus interview to be rather unorganized. First they put you in a room with some Staff from the local office then take you in to do a behavioral (resume walk through) interview with a manager through the local office. "Tell me about a time you were a leader" "What is your experience with tech, Excel, Access etc". I thought I did pretty bad as me and the interviewer didn't really hit it off she was pretty bland but the questions we're easy exactly what I expected. Three weeks later I heard back that I had an Office Visit interview for mid november in NYC (my first choice office as indicated in first interview). They fly you in if you're far enough, put you up in a hotel the whole nine yards. Definitely take the hotel even if you're not too far so you can feel relaxed going in the day of and not worrying about traffic. 9:30 you meet in the office, Recruiters give you and other dozen or so candidates a brag slide show about how great EY, standard rankings and stuff. Then they match you up with a 'Greeter' who escorts you to your interviews for that day. Whole day felt super rushed, interviews back to back to back. My first was with a Manager, then Senior Manager and finally a case with a Partner. First two interviews we're pretty behavioral, only asked one or two questions actually and my answers turned into a conversation. Partner interview with a case was pretty intimidating but they are looking for your thought process not an answer. Case was NOT like a consulting case for MBB, I studied some frameworks but did not use them, it is a written case. Got the call with an offer the Monday following my Friday interview.

Interview Questions

• 20 minutes to read the case and analyze it. Case was about 6 pages long, a lot to look over in a short period of time.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with an HR representative asking very basic information regarding previous jobs, salary expectations, current salary, etc. Week later phone interview with a Manager. It was in-depth conversation with some behavioral questions and some technical questions. They want to get a sense of whether or not you like this particular field and whether or not you would fit in their team. One day later HR rep scheduled a superday at the NY office. 6 1:1 interviews with managers, directors, and staff. Standard behavioral questions, but they really dug deep on technical questions. I couldn't answer most of the technical stuff because my knowledge and expertise is simply not up to their level, but they just want to see how you react to these types of situations. They are looking for enthusiasm and a positive attitude. Two weeks later I get a phone call from the hiring manager explaining that they liked me a lot and the feedback was very positive and they continued the job offer process for about two more weeks of filling out paperwork and various forms. About four weeks after I interviewed at the superday they email me the offer letter. I went over and beyond with interview preparation and research. I honestly do not think I would have gotten this far without going at least 110%.

Interview Questions

• What exactly do you do at your current job? It appears you do little to no analysis with the model.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, but I assume the more experience you have the better your chances are, but EY is a very structured company so salaries at each level have minimums and maximums, so be prepared and you should expect what you deserve.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

I had been in contact with the company for almost a year before my formal interview. It was an in-office interview I was offered after attending a national conference for college students at my preference location. No hotel stay included, however, all expenses were reimbursed by the firm. The interview was very straight forward. I hesitate to say it was easy. One case study on a basic potential M&A deal where I was asked to list areas of concern and what I would do. No "right" answer, just buzzwords were looked for to make sure I recognized the area was of importance for the client to consider in the deal. Two other behavioral interviews that were very standard. No brainteasers, test on current events etc..

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Have not tried, though I may consider it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

Got the interview through an internal referral. First I got a phone interview with HR in which I was just told about EY and what I was looking for in terms of career. Very simple stuff and eventually an in-person interview was set up. The interview was in their NYC building and consisted of 4 interviews (Sr. manager, HR, Exec. Director, Sr. manager). The interview was all about fit and they just asked me to run me through my resume. The only question outside of my resume was about team work and a time I had trouble with working in a group and how I solved it. Two days later HR called me saying the interview went well and asked me to fill out background check information. 3 days later I got the offer from a call by HR. Overall, they were very nice and cordial in that they responded fast compared to many of the other companies I have interviewed for so far.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a team you had a problem working with others and how you dealt with it. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They have a standard base that they start everyone on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

I knew someone who worked in the advisory arm. They passed my resume onto Campus Recruiting. I wasn't aware that I would be contacted as quickly as I was, but the head of campus recruiting called me and ran me through a fit interview for about 45 minutes. I answered questions about my past experience and my interest in EY. From there, I was told she'd reach out to me again. A week later I set up a super day interview in their NYC office. I met with two partners in advisory and one senior manager. The two partners were friendly and seemed genuinely interested in me. They asked about prior experience, why I was interested in the Business Advisor Program (BAP), and why EY. The senior manager was als friendly. He ran me through a case study, which was not too hard. I anticipated a Bane or BCG level case, but EY advisory (unbeknownst to me at the time) is not a strategic consulting group. The case was fairly straight forward and required general business and accounting sense, but you definitely did not need to be an accounting major by any stretch. Within two weeks, I was contacted and offered a full-time position following my senior year. I accepted.

Interview Questions

• No question was extremely difficult. If you have your story straight (be able to talk about your resume) and have paid attention in your business, accounting, and finance classes, you should be fine.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I took the standard salary and signing bonus. They were flexible in my start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

The recruiter was very positive and kept me in the loop the entire time. I had 3 rounds of interviews (usually there are only 2 but the partner wasn't available for the second round so I had a phone interview with a partner the 3rd round).

Negotiation

Fast and easy. We settled the salary negotiation within a day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at EY (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

Straight forward. Phone screen followed by Super Day which comprises of 3 interviews (2 Behavioral and a case study). The case study is the make or break. Make sure to practice cases to succeed in the interview.

Negotiation

Usually will not negotiate unless you have a competing offer.