EY

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assurance Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – I applied through my school website, received a follow-up call less than a week after the application deadline, and had my first interview a couple days later. The first interview was mostly behavioral-based and revolved around teamwork experience. At the end of the interview, the recruiter said he wanted to bring me into the office for interviews, which was scheduled for a couple weeks later. I interviewed with a manger and a senior manager, who were both extremely friendly. These "interviews" were more like conversations and very comfortable. I think at that point, they were just trying to see if I'd be a good fit. Two days later, I got the offer.

Interview Question – I was never asked any technical questions, but as mentioned above, there were a lot of questions regarding teamwork. I had to pull from a few different experiences so I wasn't repeating myself.   Answer Question

Assurance Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – On campus interview followed by office visit, behavioral questions, they are looking for the right personality fit versus right answers

Interview Question – None, we discussed my resume   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible at intern and campus hire positions

Assurance Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – Complete interview one-on-one interview on college campus. Once past first round, get invited for an Office Visit. The Office Visit consisted of a general presentation of the Company, 3 back-to-back interviews with a Manager, Senior Manager, and a Partner. Then a lunch with Assurance staff. Interviews consisted of primarily behavioral questions. Use the STAR technique.

Interview Question – Interview mostly behavioral questions. Most difficult was probably talking about a weakness.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Starting in non-negotiable.

Assurance Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – During my office visit, I was interviewed first by a manager, then a senior manager, and finally a partner.

The interview style was pretty casual. The interviewer had a couple of questions that they had jotted down, but mostly we just talked.

Your resume and on-campus interviews get you in the door for the interview. Once you are at the office visits, relax and just act personable, ask good questions, and indicate your interest in the internship and why you think you would be an excellent candidate. If you do all of that well, then there is no reason why you shouldn't get an offer for an internship.

Interview Question – All of the questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Interviewed at EY

Interview Details – 2 interviews - behavioral based, but you must fit the company culture. Second and final interview is 2 to 3 higher up professionals at the firm. Most people who interview are already qualified, so E/Y is looking for people who will fit the company culture. It's tough to get the job.

Interview Question – How will you keep in contact with other interns throughout the country?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY in March 2012.

Interview Details – Initially submitted my resumé and cover letter electronically via my university job posting site, was selected for a first-round interview based primarily on my GPA (about 3.6) and coherent, fluently-in-English cover letter (you would be surprised how many people cannot write whatsoever). Before my campus interview about a month later they took us all out to a nice local restaurant and we were able to awkwardly meet-and-greet people from the local office, ranging from recently hired staff to partners. Everyone was very nice and understanding from my recollection, some cool people that impressed me and some lame awkward people as well. My first round interview was with a native German manager from the local office; interestingly enough it was by far the most difficult Big 4 interview I had (I interviewed with PwC, EY, and Deloitte), but my most enjoyable. This was definitely the exception and not the norm though. He asked me to role play with him (I had to surpress nervous laughter) and gave me a difficult client situation I had to resolve without the advice of my superiors. I tried to give him an outside-the-box answer and I think he liked it. The good news is this will never, ever happen if you actually work for E&Y as an intern - they shield you from interacting with the client like you have a bad case of Tourette's or something. About two weeks later they let me know I was selected for a second round interview. I went to the DC office when I was back from school that summer and had a couple reaaal softball interviews with the recruiter and a partner. I got taken to lunch and met some of the lower level staff, which worked out well. A couple days after that they called me and told me they were offering me a position as a busy season intern.

Interview Question – This was the question I got asked in my first-round interview right off the bat: "You're at the first day of your internship and your client is an industrial producer of steel. You walk into the warehouse and there are thousands of steel bars stacked everywhere up to the ceiling. Your senior has asked you to work with the client to get a number of steel bars that are in that specific warehouse so the team can use it in their inventory accounting. You tell the client this and he starts getting pissed at you, saying he can't possibly give you an accurate count because it would take forever and waste too many people's time (There is no explanation given why the client doesn't have a running record of how many bars are in their warehouse at any given time). All of your superiors are at different areas of the client site and there is no way to get in touch with them; also you have no cell phone reception (why your seniors would leave you with a warehouse manager on your first day on the job is beyond me). What do you do and what do you tell the client? How do you solve this problem in order to get a number of steel bars for your senior?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university - interviewed at EY in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online through campus recruitment and also spoke with a recruiter at an on-campus job fair. Within about a week I was notified that I was chosen for an interview on campus the following week. The night prior to the interview, they held a pre-interview dinner in which we got to meet who we were interviewing with as well as talk to other employees at Ernst & Young. The interview was 30 minutes long and we went over my resume and also talked a bit about activities outside of school. The interview seemed more like a conversation rather than being asked technical questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself other than what is on your resume   Answer Question

Houston, TX

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EY in May 2011.

Interview Details – Campus recruiting hiring process. Consisted of pre-interview dinner prior to on-campus interview the next day. E&Y used a rolling cut throughout the firm events and brought a hand full of us to an office visit where we were all presented an internship offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not really

McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EY in February 2011.

Interview Details – Some questions were
How did your school prepare you?
How do you perform as a leader?
How do you perform as a team member?

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were a team member. What was your role?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EY in October 2010.

Interview Details – First round just consisted of an on-campus meeting with an Assurance Partner. Reviewed my resume and talked about what attributes my experiences gave to me that would make me successful at Ernst&Young.

Interview Question – Tell me something about yourself that isn't on your resume.   Answer Question

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!