EY

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at EY in December 2008.

Interview Details – I was working overseas in another EY office. When one of my friends moved to the New York office I requested him to refer me to New York Office. The interview process was painstakingly long. I was interviewed over the course of some 45-50 days. In between the interviews and even after them, the communication was really bad. I was told after more than 2 months that they want to go ahead and hire me, but the lack of communication was not appreciated at my end.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and background? Why do you want to move to New York office   Answer Question
  • Tell me what you are currently doing? What type of clients are you working on?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EY in May 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed up in house invitation to interview with HR, audit manager, and audit partner. Pretty quick process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – not too much room, i was able to get extra $1k, that's all.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at EY in September 2013.

Interview Details – I had been on their automated email for job postings for close to 6 months and applied to several open positions. Finally after many failed attempts received a phone call and email from a recruiter asking me some questions. Nothing hard, just basic stuff like "what are you currently doing..", and "are you available to work at EY..".

That was followed by an email from their scheduler requesting several times and dates to have a phone interview with their recruiter. EY was very good at meeting my time requirements, and the phone interview went without a hitch. I received some basic questions like "tell me about yourself..", "..do you oppose travel..", and some other basic questions about my current job responsibilities.

This was followed by another phone interview with another recruiter probably verifying whatever the first recruiter thought, or there were issues and needed a second opinion. This again followed the same scheduling as the first phone interview. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and it seemed that all we really did was chat about me and what i'm looking to get out of EY.

I waited a week or two and was contacted again for a face to face interview. The head recruiter asked me to supply several times and dates to meet. EY did a great job meeting my time requirements once again.

I met with 4 Senior Managers and each interview lasted roughly 45 minutes - 60 minutes. I killed the interview and was very pleased with the conversations. However i was very nervous for the long afternoon of interviewing. All the questions had been based on how I would handle a situation. I have a lot of work experience so I was able to tie similar scenarios to the questions. My advise is to prep for behavioral interviews. I didn't think I was well prepared and BS'd a lot. Be confident.

I waited another two weeks and was asked to come back for yet another face to face, but this time was with a Partner. I had no idea what to expect and couldn't find any relevant interview prep to meeting with a Partner in NYC office. I felt i went in cold and unprepared. All I did was make sure I had some questions prepared and I was able to answer the question "tell me about yourself"..though that never came up.

The Partner Interview went really well. I was made to feel very welcome and the conversation was more of two buddies catching up on current events. My advise here is to also tie old responsibilities to the conversation. For example, I'm an auditor and we had been discussing what I thought about a particular article that we both read. I shared a brief 2 minute story of something i had done a few years before. That type of scenario leads to more engaging conversation and allows the applicant to steer the questions and topics. Just don't talk to long.

That went really well and two weeks later I was called by the recruiter and we discussed salary etc. I wasn't wowed by the offer so I pushed back a little. About another week went by and I received a verbal offer followed by a written offer 2-5 days later which I had accepted.

Total effort was brutal and very time consuming.

Interview Question – Tell me about your dream job   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not too difficult. I know the market rate for senior auditors and EY was a little short. I pushed back with data and job history and EY went back to the drawing board. They came back a week later with a better offer. Still not great, but they made a great effort for showing that they want me.

Interviews for Top Jobs at EY

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EY Audit Senior interview questions and advice in New York City, NY. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by EY employees and interview candidates.