EY Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.9

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at EY (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very quick. Talked with an EY employee at a networking function and sent them my resume afterwards. A week later I was given a phone interview and a week after that I was flown out to the office for final rounds. Several behavioral interviews and a case study. They got back to me within a week with my offer. Great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions (While they seem like throwaways, THESE QUESTIONS ARE ENORMOUSLY IMPORTANT):
      • Tell me about yourself
      • Why do you want this job, at this company?
      • What do you do outside of work?
      • What is your greatest weakness
      • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      • Describe a situation when you have had to work with someone difficult and what you did to overcome this

1 Answer
    • Case Study: (EY's case consulting studies relate directly to the sort of work the position entails)
      • IE for Operational Transaction Advisory - Interviewer will explain a transaction case involving M&A Transaction Diligence:
      o How would you combine two companies to realize cost synergies?
      o What operational improvements would you suggest?

Notes:
      - Case is tailored to operational diligence – OTS provides a deeper analysis of what a firm does
      - They want to see someone who is willing to take a risk and demonstrate good business instincts

1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was generous enough to mitigate any reason for negotiation. There was some leeway as to which office I would work in.

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EY (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Laid back, easy going. Mostly conversational, very few questions. They just want to get to know you, as opposed to grilling you with difficult questions. no technical questions. Met with a partner, senior manager, and senior associate. Overall a good experience

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at EY (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

onsite interview, nothing difficult, just remember to be familiar with your own resume. i had chance to go their office and listen to some presentations. i also eat breakfast and lunch with my greeter and other students. it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• there is no interview questions. just chat with the interviewers.   1 Answer

Senior Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at EY (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a EY recruiter who scheduled me for a phone call with a "talent" manager. The talent manager then passed my name onto another recruiter who scheduled a in-person interview with the prospective supervisor. The interview with the supervisor took place in the Chicago office and lasted 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What do you want in a supervisor? Can you give an example of a time you had to push back on something a client wanted?   Answer Question

Summer Consultant - Transaction Advisory Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at EY (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for the TAS OTS practice. Round 1 in school one behavioral and one case. They flew us in a day before the interview and also had managers host us for small group lunch and it was very conversational and friendly. Round 2 interview was an entire day event with breakfast, conversation with the head of the division, 2 case interviews, 1 behavioral interview, lunch panel and 1 group presentation. It may sound too much but the team was so friendly that I didn't seem stressful plus they kept us well fed all throughout. After the group presentation the Senior manager took time to give us feedback which was really great. I really felt a great fit with the team and really liked the work they were doing. Watch out for EY as a consulting firm, they are developing talent and are not stingy like some of the firms I interviewed with.

Interview Questions

• Most of it was straightforward. Some oddball questions like what would managers that don't like you say about you. At what time in your career did you take a big risk? Tell me a time when you faced a biggest setback in your career. They were well thought out questions. The cases very pretty simple and focused on their core work - integration and synergy.   Answer Question

Advisory Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at EY (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Two step process:
    1. Phone interview - I was interviewed by a Senior Manager who asked basic questions about my experience and shared her background and experience.
    2. Office Visit - Went into the Chicago office and interviewed with two principals and one senior manager. Again spoke about recent experience (especially items related to the level I was applying for) and they answered questions about the company, environment, types of project.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with leading large teams   Answer Question

Offered me a level lower than what I wanted

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EY (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Typical process. First HR interview and then technical phone interview. They did not inform me that the second interview would be technical though. Then 3 on site interviews with managers and senior managers. Each 40 minutes and varied in technical questions. I figured these would be more behavorial but were not. I also had to write a case study which was online and timed. It wasn't difficult.

Advisory Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EY (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

2 x 30 min back to back interview
    30 behavioral - biggest challenge, team conflict, how to apply my background with consulting.
    30 min case study - outsourcing or expand existing capacity.

Technology Advisory Program - Full Time Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at EY (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

1. First step was through career fair and submitting my resume through university career center. Was selected for a campus interview the following week.
    2. Campus Interview was easier than I thought it would be. Very conversational with a manager. They basically go through your resume and talk about your past experiences, and talk about EY in general. There was also an online writing assessment that we had to do on our own time. Selected for office interview the following week
    3. Office visit started with a breakfast and presentation. Then there were 3 rounds of interviews - 1 case interview and 2 behavioral. Case interview was more conversational than expected. The case involved merger/acquisition of 2 banks. Both behavioral interviews were very relaxed. Everyone, including partner, managers, and current staff are all very friendly.
    4. Received an email 2 weeks later stating that I did not receive an offer. I'm not sure what they were looking for, because I felt the interview went well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to tell someone "no".
      What motivates you to go above and beyond?
      Tell me about an ethical dilemma you were involved in.

Answer Question

Assurance Staff (Non-financial) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Went to career fair on campus and applied online. Received on-campus interview 2 weeks later and interviewed with a senior manager from the assurance department. 1st one to be interviewed on that day at 8:00am but had a great time and enjoyed the talk with the senior manager. Heard back a week later to go for the on-site final round.
    On-site interview consisted of a breakfast with a staff (as your host for the day), 3 interview with a senior manager, partner and manager. Then, a much with other 2 students and two staff (1year). Interesting is that all staff I have met that day are from University of Norte Dame which is the target school for EY recruiting.
    About one and a half week, email me that I did not get offer.

Interview Questions

• Senior Manager at on-site interview start the interview by asking me about current economic and market news. Which is a little surprise for an audit entry level position.   Answer Question