EY

Getting the Interview

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant | Advisory (IT) Interview

Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at EY in February 2014.

Interview Details – I decided to apply at Ernst & Young, after a very good conversation I had with a Manager in EY's Advisory Services, at a recruiting event in November of 2013.
  I sent in all my application files online and received a call a month later, in January 2014. I was invited for a first interview a week later.

The interview went great. My two interview partners were a woman from HR and the manager, I spoke to at the event.
  I was greeted very friendly. I had no waiting time after my arrival.
After a short phase of small talk, the woman from HR began the actual interview with a few questions regarding my CV and especially my choices of schools, universities and companies for internships. The questions were not very specific, but rather in a form that they guided me to explain the connections between the positions during my academic career.
  She was specifically interested in my activities during my internships and asked me about my assignments and things I've learned during that time.

I prepared very carefully for that part of the interview beforehand and was able to explain everything in an elaborate and coherent fashion, due to my practicing. I immediately noticed, that they both were pleased with my detailed explanations. It is good if you can explain as many relevant details as possible, whereas they dislike it, if they have to drag everything out of you with a lot of specific questions.
During preparation, you should think about your tasks during every position you held. Also you should think about the activities you executed and - VERY IMPORTANT - the things you've learned and the skills you developed! That's the key information they really want to hear. You should be able to explain, that you learned relevant things or developed relevant skills during your experiences.

After that, the Manager got to work and asked me a few technical questions regarding the relevant fields of my academic studies. After I maneuvered through those questions pretty acceptable, we started to work on a case.
  The case involved a bank and its problem with differences in the quality of internal business processes. My task was to analyze that problem and state a recommendation for a gradual improvement of the situation. The case was basically built around IT Governance and especially the COBIT framework, as well as the CMMI maturity model.
  After I stated a hypothesis and later on some recommendations, we closed the case and he was pleased with my performance. The case wasn't as difficult as one you would get in a second round interview at BCG, but it was demanding nevertheless! You should practice case interviews to be calm and collected. Better safe than sorry! ;]

At the end they gave me the opportunity to ask questions. We also spoke about my preferred starting date and my salary expectations.
  After I was finished with my questions, the woman from HR closed the interview and explained the future procedures: They would call me a week later and either call me in for a second interview, directly make an offer or decline my application.

Exactly one week later I received the call. I was told that they would like to conduct a second interview - this time via phone. After we made an appointment for the call, I had to wait a few days.
  I was then called by the Partner that would potentially hire me at the end. The interview consisted of another round of summing up my CV and a few personal questions. I also had a talk with him regarding my motivation to acquire knowledge on new fields of expertise rather quick. We also talked about my expectations regarding my position. At the end he gave me a chance to ask questions, to clarify any uncertainties.
  He closed the interview by telling me, that they would consult about further proceedings and call me back a few days later.

I was called one day during the next week. They told me that they would like to hire me, but that they think that I would better fit in into another team, than that which I applied for, mainly because of my expertise and study fields. After I agreed, they referred me to another Partner, who would call me the next day for a third interview.

I received the call as scheduled. The third interview essentially was identical to the second phone interview. Lots of CV questions and personal fit questions. Questions about my expectations and my personal views and so on.
I then again had the opportunity to ask a few questions myself.
  He closed the interview by telling me, that they would make a final decision the very same day or in worst case on the following Monday (because the interview was held on a Friday).

I received a call during the following week, where the woman from HR told me, that the second Partner was very pleased with the things he heard from and about me. She told me, that they decided to make an offer.
I thanked her for the pleasant procedure and was very happy about the outcome.

Interview Question – 1. What do you expect from the company regarding the support and mentoring for new hires.
2. How would you react to more work, that was caused by a co-worker?
3. Are you selfish/egoistic?
4. What would you say is the weight of a full boarded Airbus A380, that takes off in Frankfurt and flies to Singapore? (Brainteaser)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I stated my expectations regarding the salary during the first interview and the response was positive.
There was no negotiation afterwards and they just put a number into the offer, that came close to my mentioned expectations.

The base salary alone was lower than my demand, but higher if you would put a possible bonus on top of it, which is part of the salary but is calculated individually.

So I considered the offer to be good.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Staff Consultant Interview

Staff Consultant
Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

The process took a day - interviewed at EY in January 2008.

Interview Details – Online application,Phone Call, face to face interview with HR (Soft Skills ) and directly after that interview with Senior Manager and manager. Questions regarding CV and experience

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EY interview questions and advice in Frankfurt, Germany. All interview reviews posted anonymously by EY employees and interview candidates.