EY

Very Easy Interview

Intern - Transaction Services Interview

Intern - Transaction Services
Düsseldorf (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY in December 2010.

Interview Details – I have sent an application and my CV and within a few days, they have invited my for the intertviews already. There were two professionals from the particular team interviewing at the same and I only had one interview.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions at all.   Answer Question

Consultant | Advisory (IT) Interview

Consultant | Advisory (IT)
Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at EY in February 2014.

Interview Details – I decided to apply at Ernst & Young, after a very good conversation I had with a Manager in EY's Advisory Services, at a recruiting event in November of 2013.
  I sent in all my application files online and received a call a month later, in January 2014. I was invited for a first interview a week later.

The interview went great. My two interview partners were a woman from HR and the manager, I spoke to at the event.
  I was greeted very friendly. I had no waiting time after my arrival.
After a short phase of small talk, the woman from HR began the actual interview with a few questions regarding my CV and especially my choices of schools, universities and companies for internships. The questions were not very specific, but rather in a form that they guided me to explain the connections between the positions during my academic career.
  She was specifically interested in my activities during my internships and asked me about my assignments and things I've learned during that time.

I prepared very carefully for that part of the interview beforehand and was able to explain everything in an elaborate and coherent fashion, due to my practicing. I immediately noticed, that they both were pleased with my detailed explanations. It is good if you can explain as many relevant details as possible, whereas they dislike it, if they have to drag everything out of you with a lot of specific questions.
During preparation, you should think about your tasks during every position you held. Also you should think about the activities you executed and - VERY IMPORTANT - the things you've learned and the skills you developed! That's the key information they really want to hear. You should be able to explain, that you learned relevant things or developed relevant skills during your experiences.

After that, the Manager got to work and asked me a few technical questions regarding the relevant fields of my academic studies. After I maneuvered through those questions pretty acceptable, we started to work on a case.
  The case involved a bank and its problem with differences in the quality of internal business processes. My task was to analyze that problem and state a recommendation for a gradual improvement of the situation. The case was basically built around IT Governance and especially the COBIT framework, as well as the CMMI maturity model.
  After I stated a hypothesis and later on some recommendations, we closed the case and he was pleased with my performance. The case wasn't as difficult as one you would get in a second round interview at BCG, but it was demanding nevertheless! You should practice case interviews to be calm and collected. Better safe than sorry! ;]

At the end they gave me the opportunity to ask questions. We also spoke about my preferred starting date and my salary expectations.
  After I was finished with my questions, the woman from HR closed the interview and explained the future procedures: They would call me a week later and either call me in for a second interview, directly make an offer or decline my application.

Exactly one week later I received the call. I was told that they would like to conduct a second interview - this time via phone. After we made an appointment for the call, I had to wait a few days.
  I was then called by the Partner that would potentially hire me at the end. The interview consisted of another round of summing up my CV and a few personal questions. I also had a talk with him regarding my motivation to acquire knowledge on new fields of expertise rather quick. We also talked about my expectations regarding my position. At the end he gave me a chance to ask questions, to clarify any uncertainties.
  He closed the interview by telling me, that they would consult about further proceedings and call me back a few days later.

I was called one day during the next week. They told me that they would like to hire me, but that they think that I would better fit in into another team, than that which I applied for, mainly because of my expertise and study fields. After I agreed, they referred me to another Partner, who would call me the next day for a third interview.

I received the call as scheduled. The third interview essentially was identical to the second phone interview. Lots of CV questions and personal fit questions. Questions about my expectations and my personal views and so on.
I then again had the opportunity to ask a few questions myself.
  He closed the interview by telling me, that they would make a final decision the very same day or in worst case on the following Monday (because the interview was held on a Friday).

I received a call during the following week, where the woman from HR told me, that the second Partner was very pleased with the things he heard from and about me. She told me, that they decided to make an offer.
I thanked her for the pleasant procedure and was very happy about the outcome.

Interview Question – 1. What do you expect from the company regarding the support and mentoring for new hires.
2. How would you react to more work, that was caused by a co-worker?
3. Are you selfish/egoistic?
4. What would you say is the weight of a full boarded Airbus A380, that takes off in Frankfurt and flies to Singapore? (Brainteaser)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I stated my expectations regarding the salary during the first interview and the response was positive.
There was no negotiation afterwards and they just put a number into the offer, that came close to my mentioned expectations.

The base salary alone was lower than my demand, but higher if you would put a possible bonus on top of it, which is part of the salary but is calculated individually.

So I considered the offer to be good.

Internship TAS Interview

Internship TAS

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – Nothing special. Send in your CV and other attachments. I was invited to Munich. Normal interview. Why E&Y. Tell me about DCF Analysis. How would you value a carmaker. The interview took about 45 minutes with one senior consultent. Later on at the end another senior consultent joined the process and asked the leadership question.

Interview Question – What is good leadership for you?   Answer Question

IT-Advisory Intern Interview

IT-Advisory Intern
Hamburg (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY in August 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was quite pleasant and was conducted with one of the Managers. He was really nice and started small-talk which really helped to become less nervous. Instead of telling me who Ernst & Young is and what they do (it can be assumed that the applicant already does know), the Manager just left a few words about kind of work I will deal with. Other than that we just talked about my CV and posing specific questions about my professional experiences. At the end he asked to go to the Whiteboard and list out risks that need to be discussed before starting a project.

Interview Question – Surprisingly none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no need for negotiation. They have a standard rate for all interns. I was surprised to receive a good amount of money, so I did not see much of a need to negotiate.

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Düsseldorf (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – telephone interview,
group tasks
HR interview
Line manager interview

Interview Question – how do you deal with stress in an effective way?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiation was open

Tax Consultant Interview

Tax Consultant
Stuttgart (Germany)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY in June 2012.

Interview Details – Try to be self confident, explaining all that you have done simply but effectively.

Focus on the location, they ask a lot of things about the city and why you want to come here.

Prepare some questions for the interviewers.

Interview Question – How much salary would you like.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered what I suggested in the interview

Very Easy Interview

Working Student Interview

Working Student
Berlin (Germany)

I applied online - interviewed at EY in December 2011.

Interview Details – Had an initial first interview with HR. Then came into the office for my second interview. First person I talked to was a Partner in the Assurance Department. He didn't ask me any questions to prove my knowledge because he was pretty impressed by my resume already. Instead we just talked on a personal level... (questions about what I have done and why, etc.). Friends that applied for the same position went through a rigorous knowledge test. Second person I talked to was from HR and they asked why I wanted to work for EY and about my plans afterwards, etc.

Interview Question – -   Answer Question

Work Student Interview

Work Student
Berlin (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY in October 2010.

Interview Details – An 1-hour interview about my current study and motivation

Interview Question – Perhaps we will offer some "low level" tasks like copying, documentation etc. Is it ok for you?   Answer Question

Intern Marketing and Sales Interview

Intern Marketing and Sales
Stuttgart (Germany)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at EY in May 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the internship and was contacted a week after to arrange an interview in the company. The interview was really relaxed, the director of the project I was going to work for and to other people involved in the project made the questions. They asked me why I chose the company and how it matched to me, if I knew the project and put some situations where I had to answer which my reaction would be

Interview Question – If I knew some names of hidden champions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasnt really a negotiation as the salary offer was one of the best I got.

M&A Intern Interview

M&A Intern
Berlin (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – Applied online and got contacted 2 days after to do a telephone interview. Interview was with 2 Associates and had standard M&A questions. DCF, Comps, LBO. Had to walk them through and they saw how far I could go. Overall the atmosphere was really nice. Other questions were standard stuff like why EY, why M&A etc.

Interview Question – No real unexpected questions, but they expect a lot of detail and in depth knowledge for the M&A stuff.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They wanted interns for at over 3 months.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!