EY Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

30 interviews

3.2

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at EY.

I have been approached by a recruiter about an opportunity. Did some research and agreed to meet the company. Went through two initial phone interviews followed by two office visits to meet potential peers and seniors. I had a mix of technical, motivational, and personality related discussions about my background and had a chance to review the experiences of the people I interviewed with as well.

Interview Questions
  • I did not feel like there were highly difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Have been weighing multiple opportunities and another offer seemed to be a better risk/return profile.

Other Interview Reviews for EY

Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at EY.

I had three interviews with Sr. Managers. They attempt to have interviews in person, or at least by video conference if not by phone. Interviewers are assigned to ask either technical questions or behavioral/values questions. Deeming a person a good "fit" is nearly as important as the technical. By good fit, they seem to be looking for "executive presence".

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions I received were unexpected. Mostly typical interview questions such as "Tell me about a difficult client or project you worked on, and how did you handle it"   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate about $5,000 more than offered. I believe I could have gotten more if I asked for it. I didn't negotiate hard enough for title, as I didn't realize that Manager is not a very senior position within EY. I was clearly a Sr. Manager level coming in.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 10 months - interviewed at EY in October 2013.

Please read if you are an EY interview candidate and wish it doesnt happen to you.

My interview with EY lasted for 10 months. After an initial conversation with the recruiter in Dec 2010, I had a phone interview in Jan 2012, one case interview in the office in Mar 2012 and a final round of interview in Oct 2012. Its a unique situation where I had to wait for months before the next round. Thats because the practice was going through a hiring freeze. My profile was a perfect fit to the job description and through out the process the recruiter was very encouraging about my possibility to get an offer. The feedback from 1st 2 rounds was evident of the fact as well. I let go few other opportuniteis as I was very interested in the position.
    Come October, after multiple times of rescheduling, I landed up in EY's NYC office to meet 2 senior managers and 1 partner (hold on to that) on a lovely friday afternoon. My first 2 interviews with senior managers went smooth with usual questions on background and why I wanted to join EY. I was held up for 1 and 1/2 hour in a room before I found out the last interview with partner would be rescheduled. A manager came in to fill in for the partner who had to leave for some urgent client meeting. Had a normal 30 min conversation with the manager and left with a happy but a little disappointing experience, since I wanted to get over this never ending saga. 2 days later my optimistic joruney came to an end when I received an automated message stating the team didnt want to move forward with the process. I wish this whole thing had taken me 10 weeks instead of 10 months.

Interview Questions
    • What has been the most challenging assignment in your current job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 months - interviewed at EY in April 2011.

1 - Initial phone screen w/ HR
    2 - Phone screen w/ senior manager from the area
    3 - Invited to come in for a Superday

Super Day ( Four 30 min interviews: 1st w/ HR, 2nd with Senior Manager, 3rd w/ Manager and 4th with Partner)

Heard back in 24 hours w/ offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at EY in January 2012.

Excellent - met the entire team and was challenged by each to qualify and quantify my knowledge and experience.

Interview Questions
    • "How did you arrive at THAT conclusion?"   View Answer
    Easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at EY in January 2008.

Received an e-mail inviting me to the interview with option of several dates. Went to interview, which was to last one hour, but actually went on for an hour and a half (good sign). You will get a complete background investigation, including your credit ratings and whether your name has been mentioned in the press.

Interview Questions
    I took what I was offered. No room for negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at EY in April 2008.

My interview was very casual through a head hunter. I had a call with the head hunter and an office interview with several indivduals. The office interview can make for a long day because of the number of people that you are asked to talk with.

Interview Questions
    • Too long ago (12 years) to remember specific questions.   Answer Question
    There was not significant negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at EY in July 2012.

The interview process, start to finish, consisted of the following:
    - informal reach out through LinkedIn by EY talent recruiter
    - 30 minute phone call w/ EY talent recruiter
    - formal round of interviews set up with 4 people (roughly scheduled for 45 minutes each) in NYC
    - 10-15 minute phone call (this time informal) with local office senior manager
    - face-to-face interview with local office manager and local office practice leader
    - informal follow up phone call with HR recruiter (different than initial talent recruiter)
    - offer delivered through phone call with HR recruiter in second to last step

Interview Questions
    • How do you expect to be able to lead and suceed in our organization as quickly as possible?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EY in July 2008.

telephone interview with EY recruiter, then actual interview. Met with a Manager, Senior Manager and 2 Partners

Interview Questions
    • The interview process seemed to be more of EY trying to sell me on them   View Answer
    It was through HR, not much to it

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at EY in July 2011.

Initially had a screening type interview with someone from HR. They were very nice and personable, however, I noted that they didn't really discuss the benefits so much of working at E&Y and with the specific group I was interested in (change management). It was a very surface level interview. I then had a phone interview focused on skills which they did an excellent job of diving deep and broad to uncover change management experiences, based on our conversation I was confident this individual also knew change management. Again though, the time allotted didn't really allow me an opportunity to ask questions about the company and get a feel for the team. Wasn't overly concerned because the final interviews would be another opportunity for that. Was flown out for interview with executive and a couple individuals in the group. The interviews went very deep and I got the sense were more specific to project needs rather than overall fit. Was increasingly sensing that specialization was what they were looking for, which wasn't necessarily what I was looking for. The interviews also took a turn when I realized I was there to meet only the exec in person and the other interviews would be virtual. Admittedly it turned me off that I was flown out for interviews to essentially only meet one person in-person, it gave me a sense that the interview wasn't that important to them. When I asked questions about how they differentiate themselves in the market, and how they aligned with the greater organization the answers were very immature in my opinion. For interviewers that go very deep skill and experience-wise and then to stay on the surface when asked and probed about their own company direction and that of the team, it gave me the sense that leadership wasn't really sure what their strategy was, just that they may need change management people at some point. I was also turned off to the company by the executive after he only allowed about 2 minutes for me to ask questions of him and the organization and seemed disinterested and overly hurried once we weren't talking about me and what I could do for him. Maybe E&Y is getting so many great candidates that they don't feel the need to sell the candidate themselves on why they should be excited about E&Y. Ultimately, I left without being sold on why I should join them. I give them credit though because they decided not to make an offer and I mutually agreed it was not a great fit based on the interviews, so I think they saw that culturally the team-based and collaborative consulting culture I better align with was not a good fit for how they run their business. My sense is this is a company and group that hasn't figured out how they plug back into consulting. I also got a sense that they were quite risk averse and rigid, which was the opposite of what I expected given their infancy in getting back into consulting, it was not the entrepreneurial culture I expected.

Interview Questions
    • Talk to me about how you've attempted to sell change management to your internal colleagues?   Answer Question

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!