EY Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EY (McLean, VA).

Interview

Very disorganized process that lasted over 9 months to offer; multiple no shows that required rescheduling. EY did not seem understand or communicate to each other my interests as an applicant. I was constantly having to re-explain what about the practice appealed to me, and what I was actively not interested in. Their most pressing question concerned my tolerance for travel.

Interview Questions

Ultimately, the lack of clarity around my role within the practice, combined with an offer that would require me to take a pay cut coming from the industry, led me to decline.

Other Interview Reviews for EY

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EY.

Interview

I have been approached by a recruiter about an opportunity. Did some research and agreed to meet the company. Went through two initial phone interviews followed by two office visits to meet potential peers and seniors. I had a mix of technical, motivational, and personality related discussions about my background and had a chance to review the experiences of the people I interviewed with as well.

Interview Questions

• I did not feel like there were highly difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Have been weighing multiple opportunities and another offer seemed to be a better risk/return profile.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at EY.

Interview

I had three interviews with Sr. Managers. They attempt to have interviews in person, or at least by video conference if not by phone. Interviewers are assigned to ask either technical questions or behavioral/values questions. Deeming a person a good "fit" is nearly as important as the technical. By good fit, they seem to be looking for "executive presence".

Interview Questions

• None of the questions I received were unexpected. Mostly typical interview questions such as "Tell me about a difficult client or project you worked on, and how did you handle it"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate about $5,000 more than offered. I believe I could have gotten more if I asked for it. I didn't negotiate hard enough for title, as I didn't realize that Manager is not a very senior position within EY. I was clearly a Sr. Manager level coming in.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

Please read if you are an EY interview candidate and wish it doesnt happen to you.

My interview with EY lasted for 10 months. After an initial conversation with the recruiter in Dec 2010, I had a phone interview in Jan 2012, one case interview in the office in Mar 2012 and a final round of interview in Oct 2012. Its a unique situation where I had to wait for months before the next round. Thats because the practice was going through a hiring freeze. My profile was a perfect fit to the job description and through out the process the recruiter was very encouraging about my possibility to get an offer. The feedback from 1st 2 rounds was evident of the fact as well. I let go few other opportuniteis as I was very interested in the position.
    Come October, after multiple times of rescheduling, I landed up in EY's NYC office to meet 2 senior managers and 1 partner (hold on to that) on a lovely friday afternoon. My first 2 interviews with senior managers went smooth with usual questions on background and why I wanted to join EY. I was held up for 1 and 1/2 hour in a room before I found out the last interview with partner would be rescheduled. A manager came in to fill in for the partner who had to leave for some urgent client meeting. Had a normal 30 min conversation with the manager and left with a happy but a little disappointing experience, since I wanted to get over this never ending saga. 2 days later my optimistic joruney came to an end when I received an automated message stating the team didnt want to move forward with the process. I wish this whole thing had taken me 10 weeks instead of 10 months.

Interview Questions

• What has been the most challenging assignment in your current job?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at EY in September 2012.

Interview

Behavioral interview with three people. They all asked pretty much the same question related to my experience and scope of work. I would suggest that you find out about the needs for that particular group you are interviewing for. Then customize your experience to the need and identify buzz words to throw in there. The key thing is to be confident and concise and humble at the same time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Respond back to offer to the recruiter. They will normally increase pay and sign on bonus by 5%

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at EY (Chicago, IL) in July 2012.

Interview

The interview process, start to finish, consisted of the following:
    - informal reach out through LinkedIn by EY talent recruiter
    - 30 minute phone call w/ EY talent recruiter
    - formal round of interviews set up with 4 people (roughly scheduled for 45 minutes each) in NYC
    - 10-15 minute phone call (this time informal) with local office senior manager
    - face-to-face interview with local office manager and local office practice leader
    - informal follow up phone call with HR recruiter (different than initial talent recruiter)
    - offer delivered through phone call with HR recruiter in second to last step

Interview Questions

• How do you expect to be able to lead and suceed in our organization as quickly as possible?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at EY (San Francisco, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Excellent - met the entire team and was challenged by each to qualify and quantify my knowledge and experience.

Interview Questions

• "How did you arrive at THAT conclusion?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at EY (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Initially had a screening type interview with someone from HR. They were very nice and personable, however, I noted that they didn't really discuss the benefits so much of working at E&Y and with the specific group I was interested in (change management). It was a very surface level interview. I then had a phone interview focused on skills which they did an excellent job of diving deep and broad to uncover change management experiences, based on our conversation I was confident this individual also knew change management. Again though, the time allotted didn't really allow me an opportunity to ask questions about the company and get a feel for the team. Wasn't overly concerned because the final interviews would be another opportunity for that. Was flown out for interview with executive and a couple individuals in the group. The interviews went very deep and I got the sense were more specific to project needs rather than overall fit. Was increasingly sensing that specialization was what they were looking for, which wasn't necessarily what I was looking for. The interviews also took a turn when I realized I was there to meet only the exec in person and the other interviews would be virtual. Admittedly it turned me off that I was flown out for interviews to essentially only meet one person in-person, it gave me a sense that the interview wasn't that important to them. When I asked questions about how they differentiate themselves in the market, and how they aligned with the greater organization the answers were very immature in my opinion. For interviewers that go very deep skill and experience-wise and then to stay on the surface when asked and probed about their own company direction and that of the team, it gave me the sense that leadership wasn't really sure what their strategy was, just that they may need change management people at some point. I was also turned off to the company by the executive after he only allowed about 2 minutes for me to ask questions of him and the organization and seemed disinterested and overly hurried once we weren't talking about me and what I could do for him. Maybe E&Y is getting so many great candidates that they don't feel the need to sell the candidate themselves on why they should be excited about E&Y. Ultimately, I left without being sold on why I should join them. I give them credit though because they decided not to make an offer and I mutually agreed it was not a great fit based on the interviews, so I think they saw that culturally the team-based and collaborative consulting culture I better align with was not a good fit for how they run their business. My sense is this is a company and group that hasn't figured out how they plug back into consulting. I also got a sense that they were quite risk averse and rigid, which was the opposite of what I expected given their infancy in getting back into consulting, it was not the entrepreneurial culture I expected.

Interview Questions

• Talk to me about how you've attempted to sell change management to your internal colleagues?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

1 - Initial phone screen w/ HR
    2 - Phone screen w/ senior manager from the area
    3 - Invited to come in for a Superday

Super Day ( Four 30 min interviews: 1st w/ HR, 2nd with Senior Manager, 3rd w/ Manager and 4th with Partner)

Heard back in 24 hours w/ offer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

I had to go through one round of HR and a more technical round with a practice member on phone before I was shortlisted for SuperDay. On the super day, I was lined up for 5 back to back interviews with One HR and 4 practice folks (senior managers and partners). It was a great positive experience, there primary focus is on your experience that is on CV, and how your skill aligns with the practice you are being interviewed for. Definitely a prior experience in a big consulting firm or big 4 will add weight to your candidacy.