EY

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – I have been approached by a recruiter about an opportunity. Did some research and agreed to meet the company. Went through two initial phone interviews followed by two office visits to meet potential peers and seniors. I had a mix of technical, motivational, and personality related discussions about my background and had a chance to review the experiences of the people I interviewed with as well.

Interview Question – I did not feel like there were highly difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Have been weighing multiple opportunities and another offer seemed to be a better risk/return profile.

Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – I had three interviews with Sr. Managers. They attempt to have interviews in person, or at least by video conference if not by phone. Interviewers are assigned to ask either technical questions or behavioral/values questions. Deeming a person a good "fit" is nearly as important as the technical. By good fit, they seem to be looking for "executive presence".

Interview Question – None of the questions I received were unexpected. Mostly typical interview questions such as "Tell me about a difficult client or project you worked on, and how did you handle it"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate about $5,000 more than offered. I believe I could have gotten more if I asked for it. I didn't negotiate hard enough for title, as I didn't realize that Manager is not a very senior position within EY. I was clearly a Sr. Manager level coming in.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 10 months - interviewed at EY in October 2013.

Interview Details – Please read if you are an EY interview candidate and wish it doesnt happen to you.

My interview with EY lasted for 10 months. After an initial conversation with the recruiter in Dec 2010, I had a phone interview in Jan 2012, one case interview in the office in Mar 2012 and a final round of interview in Oct 2012. Its a unique situation where I had to wait for months before the next round. Thats because the practice was going through a hiring freeze. My profile was a perfect fit to the job description and through out the process the recruiter was very encouraging about my possibility to get an offer. The feedback from 1st 2 rounds was evident of the fact as well. I let go few other opportuniteis as I was very interested in the position.
Come October, after multiple times of rescheduling, I landed up in EY's NYC office to meet 2 senior managers and 1 partner (hold on to that) on a lovely friday afternoon. My first 2 interviews with senior managers went smooth with usual questions on background and why I wanted to join EY. I was held up for 1 and 1/2 hour in a room before I found out the last interview with partner would be rescheduled. A manager came in to fill in for the partner who had to leave for some urgent client meeting. Had a normal 30 min conversation with the manager and left with a happy but a little disappointing experience, since I wanted to get over this never ending saga. 2 days later my optimistic joruney came to an end when I received an automated message stating the team didnt want to move forward with the process. I wish this whole thing had taken me 10 weeks instead of 10 months.

Interview Question – What has been the most challenging assignment in your current job?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at EY in April 2011.

Interview Details – 1 - Initial phone screen w/ HR
2 - Phone screen w/ senior manager from the area
3 - Invited to come in for a Superday

Super Day ( Four 30 min interviews: 1st w/ HR, 2nd with Senior Manager, 3rd w/ Manager and 4th with Partner)

Heard back in 24 hours w/ offer

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at EY in January 2012.

Interview Details – Excellent - met the entire team and was challenged by each to qualify and quantify my knowledge and experience.

Interview Question – "How did you arrive at THAT conclusion?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy.

Dallas, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at EY in January 2008.

Interview Details – Received an e-mail inviting me to the interview with option of several dates. Went to interview, which was to last one hour, but actually went on for an hour and a half (good sign). You will get a complete background investigation, including your credit ratings and whether your name has been mentioned in the press.

Interview Question – What frustrates you most and how do you deal with it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I took what I was offered. No room for negotiations.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at EY in April 2008.

Interview Details – My interview was very casual through a head hunter. I had a call with the head hunter and an office interview with several indivduals. The office interview can make for a long day because of the number of people that you are asked to talk with.

Interview Question – Too long ago (12 years) to remember specific questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not significant negotiation.

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at EY in July 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process, start to finish, consisted of the following:
- informal reach out through LinkedIn by EY talent recruiter
- 30 minute phone call w/ EY talent recruiter
- formal round of interviews set up with 4 people (roughly scheduled for 45 minutes each) in NYC
- 10-15 minute phone call (this time informal) with local office senior manager
- face-to-face interview with local office manager and local office practice leader
- informal follow up phone call with HR recruiter (different than initial talent recruiter)
- offer delivered through phone call with HR recruiter in second to last step

Interview Question – How do you expect to be able to lead and suceed in our organization as quickly as possible?   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EY in July 2008.

Interview Details – telephone interview with EY recruiter, then actual interview. Met with a Manager, Senior Manager and 2 Partners

Interview Question – The interview process seemed to be more of EY trying to sell me on them   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was through HR, not much to it

Los Angeles, CA

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at EY in July 2011.

Interview Details – Initially had a screening type interview with someone from HR. They were very nice and personable, however, I noted that they didn't really discuss the benefits so much of working at E&Y and with the specific group I was interested in (change management). It was a very surface level interview. I then had a phone interview focused on skills which they did an excellent job of diving deep and broad to uncover change management experiences, based on our conversation I was confident this individual also knew change management. Again though, the time allotted didn't really allow me an opportunity to ask questions about the company and get a feel for the team. Wasn't overly concerned because the final interviews would be another opportunity for that. Was flown out for interview with executive and a couple individuals in the group. The interviews went very deep and I got the sense were more specific to project needs rather than overall fit. Was increasingly sensing that specialization was what they were looking for, which wasn't necessarily what I was looking for. The interviews also took a turn when I realized I was there to meet only the exec in person and the other interviews would be virtual. Admittedly it turned me off that I was flown out for interviews to essentially only meet one person in-person, it gave me a sense that the interview wasn't that important to them. When I asked questions about how they differentiate themselves in the market, and how they aligned with the greater organization the answers were very immature in my opinion. For interviewers that go very deep skill and experience-wise and then to stay on the surface when asked and probed about their own company direction and that of the team, it gave me the sense that leadership wasn't really sure what their strategy was, just that they may need change management people at some point. I was also turned off to the company by the executive after he only allowed about 2 minutes for me to ask questions of him and the organization and seemed disinterested and overly hurried once we weren't talking about me and what I could do for him. Maybe E&Y is getting so many great candidates that they don't feel the need to sell the candidate themselves on why they should be excited about E&Y. Ultimately, I left without being sold on why I should join them. I give them credit though because they decided not to make an offer and I mutually agreed it was not a great fit based on the interviews, so I think they saw that culturally the team-based and collaborative consulting culture I better align with was not a good fit for how they run their business. My sense is this is a company and group that hasn't figured out how they plug back into consulting. I also got a sense that they were quite risk averse and rigid, which was the opposite of what I expected given their infancy in getting back into consulting, it was not the entrepreneurial culture I expected.

Interview Question – Talk to me about how you've attempted to sell change management to your internal colleagues?   Answer Question

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!