EY Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.8

Audit Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EY (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I went through on campus recruiting, meet with manager first. He is a really nice person and easy to talk to, all they want to know is your passion and your teamwork and leadership experience.

Technology Advisory Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I had an interview and at the same time I needed to do a writing assignment. The interview was simple, we reviewed my resume, he asked behavioural questions and he told me they will look for me for a case interview if I was selected.

Interview Questions

• Your biggest challenge and a situation in which I fail?   Answer Question

Technology Advisory Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

General questions. Nice interviewer. Questions are basically based on my experience. And the whole process is just like a chatting to let people know what you've done and what you want to be in the future.

Audit Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

I got the interview by employee referral. First interview was a phone interview that lasted about 30 mins, basic questions about myself and situational question. Heard back a week later that I got a second interview - office interview with 3 different personnel - a partner and 2 senior managers. It's very conversational interview. Got a call a few hours later from a partner saying that I got the job.
    I got asked all three times: "Tell me about yourself" so prepare that real well, make sure that you make it personal, conversational and start off with some light jokes. I was really comfortable the whole time and the interviewers were really helpful. They made it all about you. Remember, they are human like us and they wouldn't want to hear something that too stiff. The one thing that I really remember is that they emphasized on you being a people person so make sure to show them that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Career path
      CPA eligibility
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Can you tell me about your experience with EY?
      What is your greatest achievement?

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was approached by a London based Placement / Staffing firm. They understood my interests and placed my profile with EY for the position of Senior. Initially they provided me the details on Manager and then reverted to Senior, the explanation was provided that EY will evaluate and then align my experience with the title. After couple of weeks, a phone interview (technical round) was setup with a Manager, she was generally polite and asked questions on my experience and the resume itself. The feedback was quick and I received a notification that a super day will be organized. But all of a sudden another round of phone interview was organized with the Head of recruitment after a week. The recruiter did not turn up and I wrote an email to the recruitment coordinater, she apologised and scheduled the same another day. The next day, the conversation started well and then the question came up starting as "I am not a technical person and can you in short tell me about yourself?" I was happy to provide a response but got abruptly interrupted, wondering if this was technology oriented role then the Recruiter is expected to appreciate the technological concept and inputs at the high level. Overall the interview went well and 2 weeks later a super day (13th March) was organized.

On the Superday I reached at 8.20 AM as the interview was scheduled to start at 8.30 AM. There were 3 rounds of interview scheduled, the first round was scheduled with the recruiter who had taken my phone interview. He turns up late at the reception (about 8.40 AM or so). He begins by providing his gyaan on why they would like to hire somebody at Senior level and when I prompted a question on bands and what is the difference between those bands in terms of expectations, he was not able to provide a proper answer. He skipped the answer saying that they do not know a clear difference. I also asked a question on the business model in terms of managed services or staff augmentation and he was arrogant in responding back that EY is a Tier 1 company and not a Tier 2 IT consulting firms. He also made an exaggerated suggestion that the visa transfer filing will take about 30 days or so.

The next scheduled interview was with the Partner, he was about 10 minutes late. This guy walks in and goes to the window in the office that I was sitting, peeks outside and then when he was finished, shakes hands with me and then starts providing overview of the Regulatory Transformation practice. I asked a question on the business model in terms of Regulatory transformation project bid and I did not get a clear response. He asked few questions and then took out his diary, asked some standard questions, wrote down notes and then he left without providing me a chance to ask questions.
    Next steps in a Senior (same level as my prospective title). She asks a standard question on 'Tell me about yourself', then she retorts back with further queries on 'What is my goal in 5 years time', I responded back that I would like to focus on client advisory role and build my domain expertise on OTC Derivatives and regulatory requirement. She comments that this sounds a good proposition but then why one would join a consulting firm and not a bank instead. I asked her some questions which included - What can you leverage from my CV in the current role. She responded back saying that she did not find anything interesting. That response was enough to put me off. I sensed an agenda of nit picking for sure. I kept quite and let her exit the room after few minutes. It was clear to me that this was not working out for me. If there was an issue with skillsets then this should have been filtered out at the phone interview stage and not during face to face interviews.

The last round was scheduled with a Manager, she comes and apologies as she was not carrying a CV copy, I provided a copy that I was carrying. She sounded upbeat as she discussed the training plans and answered my questions politely. Then she all of a sudden got up while I was speaking and I felt uncomfortable, I shook her hands and let her go. She commented she will ask the other partner to speak with me. That never happened. I called the Interview greeter and she confirmed that everything is done and the recruitment team will come back to me. This was a Friday and then I kept waiting for confirmation untill Wednesday - 18th Mar, I ultimately called the EY Recruiter and left a message, he did not return my call. I am yet to receive an official notification from EY but overall my experience with them has left a bad taste in my mouth. If this is how they treat you during the interview stage then this is a good indication of things to come. Overall, I am glad that this did not work out! nobody likes to work with people who do not respect you. I am certain that this is a case with few bad apples, EY is known for its culture.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      Which project did you enjoy the most?
      Which project was challenging?

Tech Advisory Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

get the first round campus interview, then follow with a writing assessment, then finally get the onsite interview. people are friendly, and be prepare for the case interview. the case interview is not hard compare to other big four companies, but they are seeking for well rounded persons.

Interview Questions

• typical behavior interview questions, no technology interview questions for me   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Initial interview at school, second interview at office. Both interviews were 1:1 and were completely behavioral based. For this level, no accounting questions were asked. During the second interview we were given a tour of the office and taken to lunch. Almost everybody invited to a second interview gets an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a leadership position you once had?   1 Answer

TAP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

Three interviews in a row, and two behaviors with one case study. The case study is more focus on business side rather than any specific calculation. And the behavior questions are just tell me a time when.... type of questions. People there are really nice to me, since I wasn't have much case study experience, the person kind of walk me through the case.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time that you have to confront someone, tell me a time you work in a team and what was your position, Do you have any question for me, tell me a time you were being a leader.   1 Answer

Diversified Tax Staff FSO Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, got 2 rounds interviews in total.

All the questions are relatively simple and easy no brain-teasing or technical questions at all. Basically if you are well-prepared with behavioral questions popular around internet, you will be good.

On campus interview (1 interviewer, PPD level) I asked a lot questions to interviewers based on my research the day before interview to make sure that I asked the "right " question, for instance, talked about his favorite tv series.

The office interview (2 interviewers, mngr level) is relatively intense since you met all candidates first. However, the interviews themselves were actually more laid back.

I like EY a lot since people there are very energetic and sincere, but EY NY office (5 time square) looks a little bit crowded and even office of manager is tiny, just in case if you are curious about interview environment.

Interview Questions

• on campus:
      1 Describe a situation you worked in a team. 2 if someone wouldn't do their job in a team, what will you do? 3 leadership experience. 4 why tax? 5 why EY? 6 what about your interest?

onsite:very casual and conversational.
      1 leadership skill? 2 excel skill? 3 why your school? 4 how do you deal with multi-tasks in the same time?

Forensic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I was referred by an external recruiter. The first interview took place a week later with EY HR agent, which was very brief, almost in a rush. I haven't heard anything from the company for a week, and after contacting both, the HR representative and the hiring manager, was redirected to another HR agent. Then to another. Finally, in-person interview was set two weeks later, which went quite smooth and had a shape of a conversation, rather than an interview. I felt good about it; wrote a thank-you email and waited for a reply. No one responded during the next week, neither the week after that, and after a few emails to HR department and the hiring manager I gave up. It has been about a month now.
    I am not sure if it's HR's irresponsibility, or the hiring process in general, but so far it is the only company that hasn't given neither feedback, not a mere answer.