EY Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.8

Business Advisory Program Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EY (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

First round was an campus interview with a manager from the local EY office. 10 days later I had an interview/office in the NY office (where I applied) which consisted of lunch with all the candidates, 2 behavior interviews and then a case study interview. Before both interview days there was a timed writing assignment that had to be completed to test business writing skills.

Interviews were very conversational but intense, they ask some tough questions and don't always give a lot of feedback if you are doing well or not.

Interview Questions

• 1. Give an example of the most intelectually difficult thing you have experienced.
      2. Give an example of a project you have worked on with a team that went well, and a project with a team that didn't go well. What happened in each case?

Answer Question

Technology Advisory Program (TAP) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

On-campus. first round on campus with the local manager. 2nd round after 3 weeks. 2nd round is at your 1st preferred work location. had 1 case study interview- 45 min, relaxed, not too difficult, no market sizing questions. Also had 2 other rounds of behavioral interviews. Most frequent questions: why EY?what motivates you? strengths and weakness? questions related to my resume and experience-mainly team based and project based.
    For the case study: SWOT analyses, my solutions to the problem, technical risks of the project etc

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, I expected the level of questions. The interviewers are pretty relaxed and friendly which makes the whole process a little easier.   Answer Question

Audit Senior Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

I had been on their automated email for job postings for close to 6 months and applied to several open positions. Finally after many failed attempts received a phone call and email from a recruiter asking me some questions. Nothing hard, just basic stuff like "what are you currently doing..", and "are you available to work at EY..".

That was followed by an email from their scheduler requesting several times and dates to have a phone interview with their recruiter. EY was very good at meeting my time requirements, and the phone interview went without a hitch. I received some basic questions like "tell me about yourself..", "..do you oppose travel..", and some other basic questions about my current job responsibilities.

This was followed by another phone interview with another recruiter probably verifying whatever the first recruiter thought, or there were issues and needed a second opinion. This again followed the same scheduling as the first phone interview. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and it seemed that all we really did was chat about me and what i'm looking to get out of EY.

I waited a week or two and was contacted again for a face to face interview. The head recruiter asked me to supply several times and dates to meet. EY did a great job meeting my time requirements once again.

I met with 4 Senior Managers and each interview lasted roughly 45 minutes - 60 minutes. I killed the interview and was very pleased with the conversations. However i was very nervous for the long afternoon of interviewing. All the questions had been based on how I would handle a situation. I have a lot of work experience so I was able to tie similar scenarios to the questions. My advise is to prep for behavioral interviews. I didn't think I was well prepared and BS'd a lot. Be confident.

I waited another two weeks and was asked to come back for yet another face to face, but this time was with a Partner. I had no idea what to expect and couldn't find any relevant interview prep to meeting with a Partner in NYC office. I felt i went in cold and unprepared. All I did was make sure I had some questions prepared and I was able to answer the question "tell me about yourself"..though that never came up.

The Partner Interview went really well. I was made to feel very welcome and the conversation was more of two buddies catching up on current events. My advise here is to also tie old responsibilities to the conversation. For example, I'm an auditor and we had been discussing what I thought about a particular article that we both read. I shared a brief 2 minute story of something i had done a few years before. That type of scenario leads to more engaging conversation and allows the applicant to steer the questions and topics. Just don't talk to long.

That went really well and two weeks later I was called by the recruiter and we discussed salary etc. I wasn't wowed by the offer so I pushed back a little. About another week went by and I received a verbal offer followed by a written offer 2-5 days later which I had accepted.

Total effort was brutal and very time consuming.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your dream job   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not too difficult. I know the market rate for senior auditors and EY was a little short. I pushed back with data and job history and EY went back to the drawing board. They came back a week later with a better offer. Still not great, but they made a great effort for showing that they want me.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

This was for an interview over ten years ago, so the process may have changed somewhat. I received the interview through an employee referral, who referred me to a recruiter.

It was similar to most other management consulting interviews--that is to say, very thorough, multiple rounds with different people in the group at various management levels, and thought-provoking questions. I was interviewing with other management consulting firms and investment banks at the same time, so it was nothing unexpected. However, I did put in numerous hours of company and industry research, informational interviews, networking, and application preparation. The interview process was difficult, but I was hired in a business advisory group that led to some very interesting work and a great professional springboard.

I'd recommend EY to anyone who wants to a strong start to their career learning for business fundamentals or a seasoned professional who's looking for a new challenge in their next career step.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to do a four-wall analysis on a hypothetical retail chain. I had no idea what it was at the time since I was just coming out of college.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation process was interesting and a win-win proposition. They provided a great salary, sign-on bonus, relocation, and a great benefits package.

Technology Adviser Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

first round on-campus behavioral interview, second round office visit Superday

EY Advisory FSO Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied on campus interviewed with a Partner and then was invited for their Superday in NY. The interview started with a presentation talking about the service line then the greeters took us for our interview locations. The interviews consisted of 1 writing test (1 hr), 1 reasoning test 45 mins, 2 behavioral 45 mins and 1 case 45 mins. Got an acceptance call within two days.

Interview Questions

• I really prepared very well for the case so know your basics and dont rush. Think before opening your mouth and talk sense like a proper consultant. You can make flow charts/diagrams if you like- they helped me a lot.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate it was well beyond my expectations.

Staff, Financial Advisory - TAP Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I have interviewed in college in on campus recruiting drive. I have intimated in a week saying, that I have been selected for Big day in NYC. I got the final result in 4 days.

Interview Questions

• Case study. They give you a case in real world financial situation. And they expect you to answer the questions regarding that.   1 Answer

Advisory Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with an HR representative asking very basic information regarding previous jobs, salary expectations, current salary, etc. Week later phone interview with a Manager. It was in-depth conversation with some behavioral questions and some technical questions. They want to get a sense of whether or not you like this particular field and whether or not you would fit in their team. One day later HR rep scheduled a superday at the NY office. 6 1:1 interviews with managers, directors, and staff. Standard behavioral questions, but they really dug deep on technical questions. I couldn't answer most of the technical stuff because my knowledge and expertise is simply not up to their level, but they just want to see how you react to these types of situations. They are looking for enthusiasm and a positive attitude. Two weeks later I get a phone call from the hiring manager explaining that they liked me a lot and the feedback was very positive and they continued the job offer process for about two more weeks of filling out paperwork and various forms. About four weeks after I interviewed at the superday they email me the offer letter.

I went over and beyond with interview preparation and research. I honestly do not think I would have gotten this far without going at least 110%.

Interview Questions

• What exactly do you do at your current job? It appears you do little to no analysis with the model.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, but I assume the more experience you have the better your chances are, but EY is a very structured company so salaries at each level have minimums and maximums, so be prepared and you should expect what you deserve.

Tax Staff II Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

i first had a phone interveiw then i was invited to nyc to interview with several partners

Negotiation

better to have two offers in the hand so you can negotiate

Intern, Due Diligence Interview

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

I got an interview on campus for due diligence. Nice interviewer.
    1-Typical behavioral questions
    2- Case interview
    The key is to come prepared for the case.