EY Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 26, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview process was well formed and structured. First was a behavioral interview which was to be followed by 3 more interviews on-site.

Interview Questions

• (Looking at a Pepsi Can) What do you think about this can? What processes were involved to make this?   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

Received a screening phone call from a recruiter, which lasted about 30 minutes and was a review of my resume and my new employment desires/expectations. I was contacted a couple of weeks later by another recruiter who wanted to arrange for an on-site interview in NYC. The company provided me transportation and lodging to the interviews. The interviews began at 9am and last for three hours. During that time, i had quick, 30 minute interviews with 2 partners, 2 senior managers, and someone from HR. Interviews basically consisted of my elevator speech, my previous education/employment history, and what I am looking for in employment. I was contacted a few days later with results and the news that they wished to extend me an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate; offer exceeded expectations.

Technology Advisor Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

I got a phone interview from Ernst & Young after clearing the resume screening at the university. The phone interview was behavioral and most of the questions were based on business and leadership skills. Few questions were 1) tell me about yourself 2) Technologies i have worked on 3) about projects basically more about my resume qualifications Then, in the one on one interview i had 3 rounds 2 behavioral and 1 case interview The behavioral questions were 1) tell me about yourself 2) why E & Y 3) Some highlights from my resume - they wanted to hear more about it 4) Difficult situation i had to face when i was in a team and how i over came it 5) My strengths and weaknesses 6) When I had to tell something bad or stern to a team member without making them feel bad 7) Tough situation as a team leader and how i over came it 8) leadership scenarios 9) As a communicator, business analyst 10) Some achievement in your work place that you are really proud of -- Make this answer a selling point. Case interview : I had to read a case for about 10 mins some tips : Organize your thoughts Try to prioritize ur solution with 4 or 5 talking points elaborate on that.

Interview Questions

• Case interview was the toughest and the questions were very specific with the case. so i cant really help in this.   Answer Question

Intern, Due Diligence Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

I got an interview on campus for due diligence. Nice interviewer. 1-Typical behavioral questions 2- Case interview The key is to come prepared for the case.

Audit Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

I had been on their automated email for job postings for close to 6 months and applied to several open positions. Finally after many failed attempts received a phone call and email from a recruiter asking me some questions. Nothing hard, just basic stuff like "what are you currently doing..", and "are you available to work at EY..". That was followed by an email from their scheduler requesting several times and dates to have a phone interview with their recruiter. EY was very good at meeting my time requirements, and the phone interview went without a hitch. I received some basic questions like "tell me about yourself..", "..do you oppose travel..", and some other basic questions about my current job responsibilities. This was followed by another phone interview with another recruiter probably verifying whatever the first recruiter thought, or there were issues and needed a second opinion. This again followed the same scheduling as the first phone interview. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and it seemed that all we really did was chat about me and what i'm looking to get out of EY. I waited a week or two and was contacted again for a face to face interview. The head recruiter asked me to supply several times and dates to meet. EY did a great job meeting my time requirements once again. I met with 4 Senior Managers and each interview lasted roughly 45 minutes - 60 minutes. I killed the interview and was very pleased with the conversations. However i was very nervous for the long afternoon of interviewing. All the questions had been based on how I would handle a situation. I have a lot of work experience so I was able to tie similar scenarios to the questions. My advise is to prep for behavioral interviews. I didn't think I was well prepared and BS'd a lot. Be confident. I waited another two weeks and was asked to come back for yet another face to face, but this time was with a Partner. I had no idea what to expect and couldn't find any relevant interview prep to meeting with a Partner in NYC office. I felt i went in cold and unprepared. All I did was make sure I had some questions prepared and I was able to answer the question "tell me about yourself"..though that never came up. The Partner Interview went really well. I was made to feel very welcome and the conversation was more of two buddies catching up on current events. My advise here is to also tie old responsibilities to the conversation. For example, I'm an auditor and we had been discussing what I thought about a particular article that we both read. I shared a brief 2 minute story of something i had done a few years before. That type of scenario leads to more engaging conversation and allows the applicant to steer the questions and topics. Just don't talk to long. That went really well and two weeks later I was called by the recruiter and we discussed salary etc. I wasn't wowed by the offer so I pushed back a little. About another week went by and I received a verbal offer followed by a written offer 2-5 days later which I had accepted. Total effort was brutal and very time consuming.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your dream job   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not too difficult. I know the market rate for senior auditors and EY was a little short. I pushed back with data and job history and EY went back to the drawing board. They came back a week later with a better offer. Still not great, but they made a great effort for showing that they want me.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY).

Interview

This was for an interview over ten years ago, so the process may have changed somewhat. I received the interview through an employee referral, who referred me to a recruiter. It was similar to most other management consulting interviews--that is to say, very thorough, multiple rounds with different people in the group at various management levels, and thought-provoking questions. I was interviewing with other management consulting firms and investment banks at the same time, so it was nothing unexpected. However, I did put in numerous hours of company and industry research, informational interviews, networking, and application preparation. The interview process was difficult, but I was hired in a business advisory group that led to some very interesting work and a great professional springboard. I'd recommend EY to anyone who wants to a strong start to their career learning for business fundamentals or a seasoned professional who's looking for a new challenge in their next career step.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to do a four-wall analysis on a hypothetical retail chain. I had no idea what it was at the time since I was just coming out of college.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation process was interesting and a win-win proposition. They provided a great salary, sign-on bonus, relocation, and a great benefits package.

Advisory Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

The hiring and interview process is selective and in the beginning is very behavioral in nature. It is important to be knowledgeable about the company and have a genuine interest in EY with specific reasoning as to why it is attractive compared to other similar opportunities. Also, it always helps to have someone on the inside who is well respected that you can reference in an interview as vouching for your work ethic and character. Get your CV in using a current employee as a recommendation and greatly boost your chances at landing an interview. Ask whoever recommends you to invite you out to meet some others so you can gather more information and have additional names to drop of people you reached out to to learn more about the firm.

Interview Questions

• What is consulting? (If applying for Advisory make sure you have a grasp as to what a work day actually entails and not the glamorized "House of Lies" lifestyle)   Answer Question

Advisory Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

There were several phone interviews with HR and Business specific management before passing to the "Super Day". The Super Day is a 4 part interview. 1 Part with HR, 3 parts with managers and senior managers that you could potentially work with after joining the firm. The questions are pretty standard, they ask about your background, types of projects you have worked on, level of clients you were exposed to in the past.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were really standard and based on your past experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave me everything I asked for, which was a very generous offer.

Advisory Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with an HR representative asking very basic information regarding previous jobs, salary expectations, current salary, etc. Week later phone interview with a Manager. It was in-depth conversation with some behavioral questions and some technical questions. They want to get a sense of whether or not you like this particular field and whether or not you would fit in their team. One day later HR rep scheduled a superday at the NY office. 6 1:1 interviews with managers, directors, and staff. Standard behavioral questions, but they really dug deep on technical questions. I couldn't answer most of the technical stuff because my knowledge and expertise is simply not up to their level, but they just want to see how you react to these types of situations. They are looking for enthusiasm and a positive attitude. Two weeks later I get a phone call from the hiring manager explaining that they liked me a lot and the feedback was very positive and they continued the job offer process for about two more weeks of filling out paperwork and various forms. About four weeks after I interviewed at the superday they email me the offer letter. I went over and beyond with interview preparation and research. I honestly do not think I would have gotten this far without going at least 110%.

Interview Questions

• What exactly do you do at your current job? It appears you do little to no analysis with the model.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, but I assume the more experience you have the better your chances are, but EY is a very structured company so salaries at each level have minimums and maximums, so be prepared and you should expect what you deserve.

Senior Manager/Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at EY (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

3 phone interviews and then 12-15 partner interviews in person over the course of five months.