EY

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very professional and formal process. I liked the formality and thoroughness. They made me feel very important and comfortable. The actual interview process was somewhat cold and removed, though. They were more interested in technicalities than my personality and whether or not I would be a good fit. Some of the questions seemed like they were testing technical competence rather whether or not I would be a good fit.

Interview Question – Post-interview process very distant and removed. Nothing like the pre-interview process.   Answer Question

Interviewed at EY

Interview Details – very good but slow, it took around 2 months

Negotiation Details – friendly and fair

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a headhunter who after 2 interviews had scheduled a phone screen with a principal at E&Y. A week after that they started working on an in person interview with Ernst & Young Advisory in NYC.

The HR team at EY was unorganized and would send out interview appointments on a Wednesday for that Friday, not factoring in that I am not even in the same time zone. We had to do that a few times until I finally made it.

There were 4 interviewers and one discussion with the in-house recruiter. The first interviewer was 20 minutes late for the 30 minute interview. Had no idea of my background and did not even know what was on the resume. He became agitated as I asked him a followup question about the group's strategy, which is a fairly common question. Second interviewer was the Principal I had initially spoken with and it went smooth, third interview was with another Prinicpal who was 15 minutes late for the interview, and had been with E&Y for all his career yet could not understand that in some companies the roles between delivery, management, and service development are not fully separate. The recruiter just wanted to know a number which would prompt me to jump ship, and it was on okay discussion. The Partner for the group had me wait for 20 minutes and then sent the message that he can not meet for 2 hours if I can wait or they will reschedule. The recruiter said they were ready to make an offer but needed for the partner to meet before they can give a final number.

Interview Question – from the in house recruiter- what number do I have to hit today for you to make the decision today and start on Monday.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The group did not seem to understand that the industry was changing. The role was good for the practice and what they needed, but it would have stifled my career with too narrow a focus on an industry and too narrow a focus on type of projects.

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY in May 2009.

Interview Details – 3 stage interview process starting with a basic phone interview with someone from HR. Then followed by interview with a senior member of the practice area. Finally, an invitation to the periodic interview day where you meet with a series of people who focus on both behavioral as well as skill specific questions.

Interview Questions

Senior Manager

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY in June 2009.

Interview Details – General questions, like reason for transition from previous job. Walk thru the resume, identify areas of interest for the new role. I think it depends on the background and interests of the interviewer. For the HR discussion its mostly generic to get logistical details.

Interview Question – Example of a time when you had to lead a difficult team   Answer Question

Interviewed at EY

Interview Details – Initial communication, 2-3 interviews, final selection. The selection process starts with HR being at the forefront and the decisions are taken by the business. The process is very well structured and transparent.

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 9 months - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – Expect a number of interviews, both competency and behavioural.

Interview Question – Why EY over the other Big 4 players - be clear about this.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Lenghty

Very Easy Interview

Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 8 months - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – long long process. It took 8 months. But the partners I discusses with were very friendly and supportive. I have been contacted by a headhunter with who I had a two hours telephonic interview. I went to their office twice to interview with three partners.

Interview Question – How do you intend to grow our transaction service line.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No area for negociation

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EY in January 2013.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interviews (first: Technical, second: Partner and third: HR

Interview Question – Experience related questions with specific focus on future goals   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As per industry standards

Senior Manager

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview with Recruiter
1 phone interview with direct manager
2 face-to-face interviews and another phone interview onsite

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!