EY

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

TSRS Auditor Interview

TSRS Auditor

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY in April 2007.

Interview Details – The initial phase started with a preliminary screening phone interview with a Senior III. I felt that this particular section of interview process was used to validate that all credentials (major, GPA, previous work experience, short-term & long-term employment goals) meet E&Y's requirements. It was also a way to probe the new hire's communication skills & personality. [Friendly cordial and down-to-earth conversation from the interviewer telling you what to expect and if you passed the phone interview).

The second phase included a group dinner where all prospective new hires were all invited to have a dinner with some of the following days panel interviewers (out of towners will be house at a local Marriott or Hilton). Those that participated ranged in level from Staff 1 to Sr. Manager levels. Please note... this is not a time to eat BIG on the company and be over cordial and expose your "wild side." Here they were "testing" the candidates on their presentation, personality, and social skills. I would highly recommend that you get facetime with each of the panel members at dinner time and to impress them and keep "your name and face" fresh in their minds. As when they reconvene the following morning the Partners and Sr. Managers will ask which people stood out during the dinner.

The following day bright and early (so NO PARTYING or DRINKING the previous night), the candidates will all meet with a panel of 5 to 7 interviewers (rank ranging from Partner, Sr. Managers, and Managers). This is where you "show them all." Key factors include being able to tell them in a nutshell (clearly and concisely) what sets you apart from the other candidates. Be well versed in the different areas of the firm (Core Audit, TSRS, BRS, Tax, etc), and know which you would like to be a part of and let them know you have a firm base in Accounting where you can fulfill any of the roles at the firm.

Following this meeting you will either receive a Dear John letter or an offer.

Interview Question – So you worked in IT for a long time with this past Fortune 500 company... what made you decide to leave and come work for Ernst & Young?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Due to my experience in the Corporate (Fortune 500) company I was able to negotiate a higher salary then proposed to me. My advise is that you should always counter the offer. What have you to lose? They have spent a lot of $$$ on you up to this point... as you must realize my chargeable rate as a Senior 1 for TSRS was $425 per hour for my clients... and several people spent 4 hours with you at dinner, several hours on the phone, and 8 hours of Sr. Management time!!!! They are interested in you if you have received an offer... so try and be reasonable and re-negotiate. If you fail don't just say, "Okay, well I guess I will accept the offer." Follow-up with a: "I know that the offer will not change but due to my experience, and superior.... blah blah blah... I would like to have the option of being reevaluated in 6 months to renegotiate my offer.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!