EY

EY Tax Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at EY in September 2009.

Interview Details – One day of interviews - 3 interviews and lunch.

Interview Question – List biggest areas of improvement.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate for a very small increase.

Manager - Tax Interview

Manager - Tax
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EY in December 2010.

Interview Details – Initially applied over the internet while reaching out to key staff within the practice group from other US offices. HR staff was very friendly and the screening process was largely based on a resume review. HR screening was followed by a call with two partners. Again, both were very friendly and prepared. (Make sure that you know your story!) The phone call was followed by a face-to-face visit and interviews/meetings with Sr. Managers, Executive Directors and Partners.

Advice includes: strong preparation on the experience interview. No case study or subjective questions such as "tell me a time when"...

Many people spoke of strong support form the group leaders.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Ernst & Young?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate an increase in both base comp and signing bonus. Standard bonus offer appears to be 10% of annual base.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EY in October 2009.

Interview Details – Emailed back and forth with an experienced hire recruiter, had several informal phone interviews with a Partner and a Senior Manager, and then was invited for an office visit. I had three 30 minute interviews with 2 partners and one senior manager. All three interviews were purely discussions of past experiences (nothing technical) combined with my goals and where I wanted to go in the career. I came prepared with plenty of relevant questions. Overall the interviews were more career discussions and where I would fit in within the firm (i.e. clients, industry, tasks on clients, etc.

Negotiation Details – Not too much negotiation, but they were open to negotiation.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EY in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred to EY by a friend and former coworker as an experienced hire. I applied through the website, was contacted by their HR department and flew to NYC for my interview. I interviewed with a senior manager, an executive director and a partner. The interview questions mostly focused on my prior work experience. Everyone seemed very intelligent, friendly enough and highly ambitious - so very New York City. I was somewhat "sold to" on opportunities I would have to help them upgrade their technology to be paperless but this did not pan out as these decisions are made only at much higher levels.

Interview Question – I was not asked any tax technical questions or other hard interview questions. I was mostly prompted to talk about my prior work experience which I did not find difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate a higher salary even though I had a higher offer from another firm which I communicated to the HR person. She said that once the offer had been approved by all the different channels, there was basically no way to negotiate. I accepted the lower offer from EY because I need Big 4 experience on my resume.

Tax Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – I was hired in as a new hire, not an experienced hire. I met with 3 people, 2 were senior managers, and 1 was a partner. A few questions were experience related but not technical. They were assessing whether I would fit in with the culture or not. After a few weeks, they called back with an offer.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult challenge in school or work and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Tax Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EY.

Interview Details – It was right outta xollage. It was easy.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!