EY Tax Staff Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.9

56 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Tax Staff Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EY in October 2013.

Went to a campus career showcase handed an E&Y member my resume and spoke with them for a few minutes. About a week and half later I received an e-mail from the campus recruiter stating that they would like to offer me an on-campus interview. Before the on-campus interview E&Y had a pre-interview dinner. The next day was the interview. The interview was a one on one interview with an E&Y partner. The interview was supposed to last 45 minutes. The partner basically looked at my resume and said that I should be hired because I had already passed all four parts of the CPA exam. He then asked me if I had any questions. I asked him questions about why he chose E&Y and what he liked about tax. The interview only lasted about 20 minutes. I felt that I might have failed the interview but the next day I received a call from the recruiter asking for an office visit. The office visit consisted of a pre-interview dinner at a partner's house with about 12 other candidates applying for full time or internship positions. The office visit itself started around 8 am for an informal breakfast. After the breakfast there was a PowerPoint slide show that explained more about E&Y then we where able to ask questions about the firm to three staff members that have been at E&Y for at least two years (E&Y called this a panel). After the panel I then had three interviews one starting with a senior manager then a manager and then a partner (each lasted roughly thirty minutes). The interviews with each were very informal they were more like conversations there were no behavioral questions. After the interview one staff member and one senior manager took me out for lunch. The recruiter stated that I should hear a response about a week later.

Interview Questions
  • The really did not ask me any questions. They only asked me what kind of questions did I have for them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for EY

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EY in October 2013.

The first interview was on campus. Interview has two parts. The first part is 15mins pre-interview. I was interview with an manager and a senior. The second part is 30mins. There is a pre-night before the interview, including dinner and bowling. No behavior questions in the first round interview. It is more about tell me youself and go thorough the resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EY in October 2013.

on campus recruitment, pre-night, on campus interview, doesn't go to the second round, the questions over all are behavioral questions and also questions about the experience mentioned in the resume

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY in October 2013.

On campus recruiting event. Followed by on campus interview with manager level person. Lasted 30 minutes, a couple behavioral questions, mostly conversational. Got call back for on-site interview. There was a dinner/social event the night before interviews. The office interview was 3 - 30 minute interviews with two managers, and a director/partner. Each interview focused on different areas, one was about team work, another on technical skills, and the third was mostly about problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you failed, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EY in September 2013.

First round interview with a senior manager and then an in house day being interviewed by three more senior managers.

Interview Questions
    • They mostly focused on conversational topics and not your typical "put you on the spot" interview questions. I was however, asked about my experiences with teamwork.   Answer Question

Tax Staff Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EY.

Applied through school posting. A few weeks later received e-mail to interview over phone. Standard interview questions, mostly behavioral.

Tax Staff Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY.

The office atmosphere was very positive and relaxed. The HR representatives were very helpful and nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EY in April 2013.

Initial Interview about experience, education, other positions held

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

interviewed at EY in November 2012.

The process began with a phone interview with a Senior Manager. The interview primarily consisted of questions regarding my academic and professional experience. Following that, the manager gave me more information on the department. A few days later, I received an invitation for a second interview. The second interview was an office visit which consisted of a slightly informal panel forum, two one-on-one interviews, and a mixer with some of the leaders in the practice. The one-on-one interviews had a very relaxed and professional conversational structure. Overall, the office visit was very informative and gave all the candidates the opportunity to get to know more about the position, the department, and our future managers and co-workers. There was a very professional, yet warm energy throughout the office that drew me in.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions in my opinion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EY in October 2012.

The process started with an application for the OCI and a first interview on campus. One week later my interviewer call me back and offered me to "meet some people" in their office. 3 dates were available and I thought: "Sooner the better". Few days later I received an e-mail confirmation for this second round in their office + an invitation for a social event the evening before! The social was really fun. It was the opportunity to meet with all candidates & people with different level. The 3 office interviews: easy discussions. Come with questions and think outside the box! 10 days after the office visit I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The OCI was formal: Tell me about yourself? Why Tax? How do you handle pressure at work give me an example? How did you manage a situation where you did not agree with someone? The office interviews were an opportunity to discuss about what you want to know and what you're interested in.   View Answer
    The offer totally met my expectations. I got one similar offer from another Big but did not try to negotiate as EY was my first choice anyway. It made all the difference through the overall process: HR team was proactive and very professional! I was definitely impressed by the organization and the outstanding quality of the recruiting process! Finally all the people I met with made me eager to join them. Good luck!