EY

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EY in February 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter asked me those of behavioral questions, such as how do you deal with stress? give me an example of your leading role on a team; how do you get yourself started to learn new skills and knowledge? How do you deal with tight relationship with teammates. These questions were pretty easy to answer if you are prepared, the interview circumstance was pretty relaxed.

Interview Question – What do you think of continuous failures?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EY in November 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by a half day of in-person interviews. The in-person inteview was a series of 30 minute interviews.

Interview Question – How would you handle large datasets   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation. I tried to ask for more money since I thought the offer was low, but HR claimed the salary offered was their standard offer for my experience and education level.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at EY in June 2012.

Interview Details – The executive recruiter was really great, communicative, friendly, and thoroughly explained the entire recruiting/interviewing and hiring process.

From the time I first spoke to the recruiter to the time I had my initial interview (via phone), approximately 4-5 weeks had passed. The timing to schedule the interviews was a bit slow, until they learned of a competing offer I had on the table that required an immediate response. At that point, they acted very rapidly and went out of their way to schedule all interviews in a condensed timeline within a matter of days. The offer came to me very quickly after my interviews were completed and the recruiter was absolutely wonderful to work with.

Interview Question – The most difficult question to answer was where I saw myself positioned within the firm, in terms of roles and responsibilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very rapid - be honest and upfront about other offers you may have and what your salary expectations are. You may not get the ceiling you ask for, but they will work with you to find an offer that will satisfy you.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Junior Consultant Interview

Junior Consultant
Washington, DC

I interviewed at EY in February 2012.

Interview Details – Standard interview questions, some case studies

Interview Question – Why consulting?   Answer Question

Assurance Intern Interview

Assurance Intern
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EY in March 2012.

Interview Details – Initially submitted my resumé and cover letter electronically via my university job posting site, was selected for a first-round interview based primarily on my GPA (about 3.6) and coherent, fluently-in-English cover letter (you would be surprised how many people cannot write whatsoever). Before my campus interview about a month later they took us all out to a nice local restaurant and we were able to awkwardly meet-and-greet people from the local office, ranging from recently hired staff to partners. Everyone was very nice and understanding from my recollection, some cool people that impressed me and some lame awkward people as well. My first round interview was with a native German manager from the local office; interestingly enough it was by far the most difficult Big 4 interview I had (I interviewed with PwC, EY, and Deloitte), but my most enjoyable. This was definitely the exception and not the norm though. He asked me to role play with him (I had to surpress nervous laughter) and gave me a difficult client situation I had to resolve without the advice of my superiors. I tried to give him an outside-the-box answer and I think he liked it. The good news is this will never, ever happen if you actually work for E&Y as an intern - they shield you from interacting with the client like you have a bad case of Tourette's or something. About two weeks later they let me know I was selected for a second round interview. I went to the DC office when I was back from school that summer and had a couple reaaal softball interviews with the recruiter and a partner. I got taken to lunch and met some of the lower level staff, which worked out well. A couple days after that they called me and told me they were offering me a position as a busy season intern.

Interview Question – This was the question I got asked in my first-round interview right off the bat: "You're at the first day of your internship and your client is an industrial producer of steel. You walk into the warehouse and there are thousands of steel bars stacked everywhere up to the ceiling. Your senior has asked you to work with the client to get a number of steel bars that are in that specific warehouse so the team can use it in their inventory accounting. You tell the client this and he starts getting pissed at you, saying he can't possibly give you an accurate count because it would take forever and waste too many people's time (There is no explanation given why the client doesn't have a running record of how many bars are in their warehouse at any given time). All of your superiors are at different areas of the client site and there is no way to get in touch with them; also you have no cell phone reception (why your seniors would leave you with a warehouse manager on your first day on the job is beyond me). What do you do and what do you tell the client? How do you solve this problem in order to get a number of steel bars for your senior?   View Answer

BAP Internship Campus Recruiting Interview

BAP Internship Campus Recruiting
Washington, DC

I applied in-person - interviewed at EY in October 2012.

Interview Details – Go through Resume. Most questions were about teamwork, internship experience.

Interview Question – What conditions you use the computer skills   Answer Question

Transaction Advisory Services Senior Interview

Transaction Advisory Services Senior
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EY in November 2011.

Interview Details – Employer Presentation at the school wasn't very helpful for showcasing Transaction Services. As a CPA, I had a vision of TS however the position I interviewed for was more IT integration than due diligence and valuation. I was kind of caught off guard because the presentation showed TS as I know it but then the positions offered in the interviews were more IT integration and management consulting based.

Interview Questions

• Discuss some of your experiences with integrations in your past work life.   View Answer
  • E&Y gives you a past integration that they performed and you have to be able to walk through how you would conduct the integration. Very interesting since the senior managers and partners will be doing this in reality but you get the opportunity to "interview up".   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Legal Assistant
Washington, DC

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at EY in November 2010.

Interview Details – After submitting the application online, I heard back several weeks later from a hiring manager located in Atlanta, wanting to schedule a phone interview. I spoke to this individual for approximately 15 minutes on the phone before she informed me that she would like to pass me on to the DC office for in person interviews. Soon enough, another hiring manager sent me an email including a chart of my schedule for the interviews. One thing that was difficult in this process is that they always gave me only one day's notice (if that) of when my interviews would be, and acted relatively annoyed if we had to change the times (I was a student at the time and could not miss certain classes). I would expect more professionalism on their part.

The actual interview process consisted of me sitting in a room for about three hours while various senior members of the staff cycled in. Each of these individuals seemed relatively inexperienced with interviewing and like they would rather be elsewhere. They often didn't ask much about me, and instead wanted to solely tell me about the job. Needless to say, this got old after the first five interviewers. The staff was helpful though and frequently offered me water/coffee. Two weeks later, another hiring manager (this one in Texas, I believe) reached out to me inviting me to go to the office for even more interviews. I obliged, and met two more individuals. Two weeks later, I had a missed call from the original hiring manger who did the phone interview with me. I called her back immediately with no response. After several days/emails later, I called again only for her to answer and tell me that I was rejected.

Overall, there could have been much more professionalism exhibited on their part, and alot could have been done to make it feel like a much more personal experience. Instead, I was put off by the corporate-ness of it all.

Interview Question – How does Ernst and Young fit into your life?   Answer Question

QUEST Staff Interview

QUEST Staff
Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at EY in October 2009.

Interview Details – There is a reception the night before. You got to meet the manager who will interview you the next day. You also got to meet all the candidates for the position. I think the reception somehow more important than the formal interview. I felt bad because all the other candidates and the manager are white male, while I am a minority girl. When they talked about all the sports and jokes during the reception It was hard for me to mingle in.

All the interview questions are behavior, and I got rejected after several weeks

Interview Question – behavioral   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EY interview questions and advice in Washington, DC. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by EY employees and interview candidates.