EarthLink

1 Interview Review

1.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Technical Support Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at EarthLink in March 2010.

I got this job lead through a recruiting firm (RF) who were looking to fill a tech support position for One Communications. I figure give this a go and see where it leads.

The people I interviewed with (both "managers" of the same department) appeared in street attire as if they were going to a sporting event or out for fast food. That does not give me a good first impression of the company. The actual office space was a little sub-par than what I would have expected - stale and musty air, extremely low lighting, and generally unkempt. Oddly, the employees at the desks seemed to make it a point not to make eye contact with me. Maybe it was a trick of my mind.

While the two managers were really personable and genuine, I simply could not see myself working for One. I was given an offer in about an hour after leaving. While I liked the managers, the commute, and the chance to learn more from the industry than in previous roles I have held, I declined the offer because there were an excess of lingering questions that seemingly no one could answer, concretely, and some stipulations of the position were a little too loose for my taste.

One Communications's benefit package is standard (401K, sick, vacation, health/dental/vision, et al) pay was what I expected, but they need to be realistic in requirements of applicants and align the job descriptions as such. They required a little too much for entry-level call center job that any off-the-street applicant could perform with proper training.

If applying to One Communications, go in with an open mind, but do research on them first like I did so you are better prepared on what you might be getting into for the short and long term.

Interview Questions
  • What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment?   View Answer

The work environment, a job description different on paper than what it actually is, and the company seems highly unstable operationally, financially, and everywhere in between. I wanted to work for a more secure company.