East West Bancorp Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.6

Professional Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at East West Bancorp (Pasadena, CA).

Interview

Disappointed with the interview process. Interviewers were ill prepared. Recruiter could not provide a basic sense of the job or comp package prior to going in for the interview. Recruiter had indicated to ask for her if I arrived early, and she was nowhere to be found. In addition, she did not pass my resume on to the interviewer. This was concerning as it was not an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected comment - I was told I would not be a good fit after having extensively explained my background and being sought out by the recruiter due to my background/experience. I was given one version of the job by one interviewer and another version with the next. It is difficult to say if the issue was with the recruiter or the interviewers, but I did provide feedback on this in hopes of helping them with their internal process in the future.   1 Answer

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at East West Bancorp (Pasadena, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

HR will call you after their initial behavioral campus recruitment efforts. The questions are behavioral and ask about your resume and why you would fit a Relationship Manager role.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of your financial modeling experience and how that would help you deal with commercial loan clients.   Answer Question

The pay was not attractive enough.

Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at East West Bancorp (Pasadena, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied for the job online and was contacted by the HR Rep about a different position. It was not in my area of expertise but since she seemed like I'd be a good fit for the job, I submitted to the interview. It turned out that it was a waste of time as the hiring manager for the new position was looking for someone with a different skills set. The rest of the interview consisted of awkward small talk.

Interview Questions

• Very general: Can you describe your experience?   1 Answer

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at East West Bancorp (Pasadena, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Very long process and no offer or reject letter to well inform the candidate.

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at East West Bancorp (Pasadena, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Initially, I sent my resume to a VP that I was referred to through a friend. The VP passed my resume on to the CFO who then initiated the interview process. The HR representative assigned to me was very friendly and professional, although he/she would often forget to follow-up with me for scheduling purposes. I got the impression that HR was swamped with work. On the day of the interviews, I fist met with the CFO. She/he was very impressive. She/he was young, sharp, and intuitive. We had a pleasant discussion about my background the why I was desiring to enter a financial career. However, I was surprised to learn that she/he does not speak any Chinese. On my second interview, I met with another very impressive middle level manger. He/she and I had terrific rapport and he/she said that he/she would be happy to hire me, although he/she thought I might be a little bored in the position the he/she had to offer. Again, I was surprised to find out that he/she was not a fluent or literate Chinese-speaker. Also, another surprising finding: the company does not even have a corporate license for basic statistical analysis software like SAS. On my third and final interview for the day, I met with the CFO's assistant. This person was saddled with an unlikely and inefficient trio of responsibilities: investment relations, risk management, and corporate financial statement preparation. And, she/he appeared to be making most of the risk management decisions without any strong quantitative statistical treatment. Of course, since the company had no corporate licenses for SAS, this made sense to them--I suppose. Again, she/he was a non-Chinese speaker. For an institution that books itself with the strategic goal of being a financial "bridge from the east to the west", it was downright unbelievable to see that many of the top management were not even conversationally fluent in Chinese. This finding led me to question the firm's ability to realize it's above-mentioned headline strategic goal. Moreover, it appeared from my interviews that the current financial health of the institution had more to do with conservative business practices (and luck) than with informed quantitative data-driven investment decisions.

Interview Questions

• I like to teach the people who work under me, but since you are trying to leave an academic environment, it seems you wouldn't be interested in that. Right?   1 Answer

IT Summer Interns Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Monte, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at East West Bancorp (El Monte, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Got email from HR, then I was called for on-site interview. The interview was of 30 minutes. I got a call from HR about my selection after 2 weeks

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't get a chance to negotiate

Commercial Banking Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Monte, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at East West Bancorp (El Monte, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Easy and fast , mainly about personal life. It took about two weeks to get a call back. Just relax and present about yourself. No written test or any test need to be done prior to the interview.

Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at East West Bancorp (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

It was my first time going to an interview speaking English, Cantonese, and Mandarin.

Interview Questions

• How would you expose yourself and the bank to the community?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate with the HR Manager discussing my ideal salary for the position.

Teller Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at East West Bancorp in January 2010.

Interview

I got referred by another employee. They submitted in my resume to one of the managers who I guess passed it on to Human Resources. After about a week, I got a call from HR saying they were interested in me, but first I had to take some sort of test. I believe it was a personality and skills test. The type to check the way you think and problem solve. I guess I passed because a day or two afterwards got set up for interview.

Assistant Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at East West Bancorp (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

Hired both by Regional Manager Branch Manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much can be negotiated. Salary will be in the range that company already set up.