East West Bancorp

2.6

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at East West Bancorp in February 2012.

Initially, I sent my resume to a VP that I was referred to through a friend. The VP passed my resume on to the CFO who then initiated the interview process. The HR representative assigned to me was very friendly and professional, although he/she would often forget to follow-up with me for scheduling purposes. I got the impression that HR was swamped with work.

On the day of the interviews, I fist met with the CFO. She/he was very impressive. She/he was young, sharp, and intuitive. We had a pleasant discussion about my background the why I was desiring to enter a financial career. However, I was surprised to learn that she/he does not speak any Chinese.

On my second interview, I met with another very impressive middle level manger. He/she and I had terrific rapport and he/she said that he/she would be happy to hire me, although he/she thought I might be a little bored in the position the he/she had to offer. Again, I was surprised to find out that he/she was not a fluent or literate Chinese-speaker. Also, another surprising finding: the company does not even have a corporate license for basic statistical analysis software like SAS.

On my third and final interview for the day, I met with the CFO's assistant. This person was saddled with an unlikely and inefficient trio of responsibilities: investment relations, risk management, and corporate financial statement preparation. And, she/he appeared to be making most of the risk management decisions without any strong quantitative statistical treatment. Of course, since the company had no corporate licenses for SAS, this made sense to them--I suppose. Again, she/he was a non-Chinese speaker.

For an institution that books itself with the strategic goal of being a financial "bridge from the east to the west", it was downright unbelievable to see that many of the top management were not even conversationally fluent in Chinese. This finding led me to question the firm's ability to realize it's above-mentioned headline strategic goal. Moreover, it appeared from my interviews that the current financial health of the institution had more to do with conservative business practices (and luck) than with informed quantitative data-driven investment decisions.

Interview Questions
    • I like to teach the people who work under me, but since you are trying to leave an academic environment, it seems you wouldn't be interested in that. Right?   View Answer

IT Summer Interns Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Monte, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Monte, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at East West Bancorp in June 2011.

Got email from HR, then I was called for on-site interview. The interview was of 30 minutes. I got a call from HR about my selection after 2 weeks

Interview Questions
    Didn't get a chance to negotiate

Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at East West Bancorp in October 2010.

It was my first time going to an interview speaking English, Cantonese, and Mandarin.

Interview Questions
    • How would you expose yourself and the bank to the community?   Answer Question
    Yes, I was able to negotiate with the HR Manager discussing my ideal salary for the position.

Teller Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at East West Bancorp in January 2010.

I got referred by another employee. They submitted in my resume to one of the managers who I guess passed it on to Human Resources. After about a week, I got a call from HR saying they were interested in me, but first I had to take some sort of test. I believe it was a personality and skills test. The type to check the way you think and problem solve. I guess I passed because a day or two afterwards got set up for interview.

Assistant Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at East West Bancorp in December 2009.

Hired both by Regional Manager Branch Manager

Interview Questions
    Not much can be negotiated. Salary will be in the range that company already set up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at East West Bancorp in July 2009.

First, 2 people started to interview me. One is the manager, and the another is her assistant. They asked me the regular interview questions, such as, tell me about youself. 34. tell me a time when you cannot meet a client's expectation. Can you tell me about a time when you had to deliver difficult news to your team?

Interview Questions
    • tell me a time when you cannot meet a client's expectation.   Answer Question
    • In what way would your work experience help you in doing a good job in this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at East West Bancorp in July 2008.

face to face w/ br mgr. very typical. just like any other interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at East West Bancorp in March 2008.

A simple 1 on 1 interview with the manager. I was over qualify so I got this job very easily. I was merely selling myself short as I barely got a little over the minimum wage with a 4 years University degree, and tons of working experiences.

Personal Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at East West Bancorp in January 2008.

interviewed by supervisor. He asked average questions and job history. and he described the job duty in details. It was not hard nor easy. But it took 1 month to call me back for an offer and I have already accepted other offer

Loan Servicing Interview

Briefly walk through your resume and ask related questions. No behavioral question.