East West Consulting K.K.
www.ewc.co.jp Tokyo, Japan 50 to 149 Employees

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online - interviewed at East West Consulting K.K. in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview via skype. Talked for a long time and had three different interviews. Was very long and boring. Meet many people and they are all money-hungry snakes who I prefer never to meet again.

Interview Question – What are your bad points   Answer Question

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at East West Consulting K.K..

Interview Details – Very quick process, two interview days. One where you will meet the HR then two to three consultant depending on your industry interest.
If successful you'll go to the second day and will meet the HR again, two senior people and finally the boss.

After that you do a trial on the phone and you are asked to get 15 names (that you will never see again)

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase since they lie to you about giving a very high base and the offer expires the same day if you don't take it.

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at East West Consulting K.K. in January 2009.

Interview Details – Meet face to face in office.
Go over current situation, plans to live in Japan etc.
Asked about motivations, sales experience if any and any knowledge of recruitment industry and Japanese level.
Second step is trial and then offer.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for associates

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Consultant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at East West Consulting K.K. in February 2012.

Interview Details – Initially I had a phone interview with one of the HR people. It was really simple, and they wanted to get to know who I was. Looking back on it now, it sounds like they just wanted to make sure I had good phone manners.

The next step was a Skype interview with the President. Simple interview, nothing too difficult. He was more concerned with whether I knew what I was getting into. He wanted to make sure I could get in there and do the work. It's clear he sees EastWest as a sales organization and not a consulting company.

After that I went to East West for an interview. I had an initial meeting with the HR and then the President. Just more digging into who I was, and what my goals were.

After that they moved to a practical test of name collecting. In my opinion, it's a bit unethical, but at the same time, if you can do this, you can do all of recruiting. I did this for about an hour, collected a decent amount of names.

After the name collecting I must have met with 3 more people for about 15 minutes each. And that was the end of the interview.

I had one final Skype interview with the president. He seemed a bit concerned with my age and that I might be a bit too young (I was 25 years old at the time). In the end I won him over however.

Interview Question – If we offered you now, would you join?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I had another offer with a boutique recruiting company. One of my coworkers is from East West, and I don't regret this decision at all. I don't think it's a bad company to start recruiting, but it does seem a bit sink or swim.

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at East West Consulting K.K..

Interview Details – 1- friend recommended interview
2- first interview 5 minutes long, boss got rid of me quickly, said to study about japan and business for six months and call him back
3- called back in two week, got job.
4- almost got fired week 1- but made first placement week 2

Interview Question – one week into job- at beer machine with boss and the BSD's-on a friday evening- when i was seriously about to be fired- "you aren"t animated enough. these guys are animated. tell me something interesting, tell me a good story."
i proceeded with a fake story about working in a japanese girls high school and being with every student in the class until it went from the aggressive ones to the homely, nerdy ones-- they were being peer pressured to being in inappropriate relations with the teacher. i told it well, they accepted me, the rest was history.
although- i must admit- the first week was truly difficult--- no training- "name collecting" using dodgy tactics (there are other ways to get even better results than to compromise someone's integrity on day one)..
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – it was 275k yen a month, with a commission scale that resulted in total annual comp from

year one- USD$ 150k
year two- USD $250K
year three- USD- $400K
year four- $USD- $550K
Year five- $USD $700K plus

Associate Consultant

Interviewed at East West Consulting K.K.

Interview Details – First interview was a general "can this guy hold an adult conversation". also asked to write a small piece about any project I had previously been involved in (broken down into 5 steps). Second interview was a name collect test plus final interview with Conan. He tried to talk me out of job but I said hell no chief, I am down for this.

Interview Question – The name collect test.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Here is the offer and I accepted.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for East West Consulting K.K.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at East West Consulting K.K. Associate Consultant interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by East West Consulting K.K. employees and interview candidates.