Eastern Mountain Sports Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.2

Floor Supervisor Interview

Interview

Was pretty laid back overall, we sat outside. It was done very well, initial contact was quick, efficient and professional. Job was offered and was happy to accept. I felt welcomed onto the team in a very short amount of time.

Interview Questions

• How can you tell if a person is genuine?   1 Answer

Store Guide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyannis, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Eastern Mountain Sports (Hyannis, MA).

Interview

The hiring process starts with a walking application. Once this is completed, you wait for the hiring manager to call you in for an interview. You might end waiting for a few month depending on the season, but it could only be a few weeks.After the interview, it takes another week or two while they verify references then they call you with an offer if they decide to hire you. Do not expect a call back if you are not hired.

Interview Questions

• Its been a while, but beware the dreaded "sell me this pen question".   1 Answer

Guide Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Eastern Mountain Sports.

Interview

I came into the store and filled out an application. I spoke with the store manager and explained why I wanted to work there and asked if I could come in for an interview. I was given a date for the following week for an interview. I arrived for the interview and was only asked a few simple questions. The conversation quickly turned to how much the pay would be and when I could start.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was told that $10 /hr is the best they can do.

Guide Interview

Interview

hiring process was just an interview and then a reference call check. there wasn't really too much to it, basically just like any other retail interview process. then you go through some video training (which isn't really that useful) and you are ready to go

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

If you get called in for an interview, chances are you have already secured the job. It is a pretty easy process. Best ways to impress them is sharing previous outdoor experience and gear knowledge. The next best thing is going to be to have some sort of customer service experience. If you have those, and they have an open position, you'll get the job.

Interview Questions

• What is an experience you had that you felt you had failed?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not have a chance to negotiate, not sure if there was even an opportunity to. Wasn't prepared.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Eastern Mountain Sports.

Interview

As an internal applicant I had to do a career advancement form. This form should be extremely thorough and endorsed by your store manager. I had 5 pages for this, including examples from this and other jobs. After this goes to the DM, you are offered an interview. You are then interviewed by the regional manager. It is a fairly straightforward process. Just be sure to be thorough and to ask a lot of questions from others already in this position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I could be given an extra $5000 in my budget where would I use it. I opted for training, which was a good response. Always try to think what would benefit the store the most in the long run, and what will affect the most customers immediately.   Answer Question

Another great opportunity presented itself simultaneously.

Maintenance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peterborough, NH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Eastern Mountain Sports (Peterborough, NH).

Interview

The interview process took place at the annual Job Fair and my Resume was reviewed by a Warehouse Supervisor and the Facility Manager decided to hire me Full time due to a situation where I needed insurance. It was a pleasant experience and they made you feel like part of the family! Later into the Employment my resume was reviewed again and I replaced an Associate who was leaving Maintenance.

Interview Questions

• I do not remember any for Warehouse Worker. Maintenance came at a later date because of another review of my Resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Eastern Mountain Sports (New York, NY).

Interview

I got called in for an interview, and granted that i have worked many jobs and have 2 degrees, this was one of the most intense interview for a 10/hr position. Questions varied from describe a position of leadership, or a time in your life when you had to convince someone to do something that they didn't want to do. Very strange questions for a regular sales position for poor pay. Following the manager could not verify all of my references and made me submit new ones.

Interview Questions

• Describe a tough work situation which you managed to resolve?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I needed a job

Store Guide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Eastern Mountain Sports (Newton, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

Fairly straightforward, met with two managers, follow up within a few weeks. Hiring only happens during the beginning of summer, and in fall in preparation for the holidays. If you present yourself as being an amicable person with experience outside, you'll find yourself at home with EMS. Granola crunchy types are a must apply. EMS is full of passionate individuals, and you will find each individual has a unique personality that add to the team spirit.

Interview Questions

• What do you enjoy doing in the outdoors?   1 Answer

Eastern Mountain Sports/Bike Shop Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collegeville, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Eastern Mountain Sports (Collegeville, PA) in April 2011.

Interview

Pretty straight forward process. Sent my resume and meet with the Bike Shop Manager and Assistant Manager. One interview and had the position.

Negotiation

I got what I asked for, but I could have gotten more. Times have changed since, so that may not be true today.