1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dayton, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

The process took a day - interviewed at Eastman Kodak in August 2008.

As a current employee of the company, I was already familiar with the hiring process. However, I wasn't exactly expecting to be treated as a new hire. I interviewed with the program manager, team leader, two engineers, one technician and the HR manager. That's a lot of talking, sitting, listening and thinking - over a three hour period with no breaks. You should be prepared to answer a lot of the same questions and be honest - these guys don't mess around because the interview process is just as time consuming and stressful for them. The interviewers will collaborate after the meetings and make decisions based on your education, your past or present work experience, your answers and confidence in your abilities. Should you be an employee, your current supervisor will also weigh in with comments regarding work performance.
Then you wait. Be prepared to wait a very long time unless the need is immensely important. Be aware that many companies ebb in and out of hiring freezes based on their quarterly performances. This was the case with my interview process which caused a three week "dead air" span in communications between myself and the HR manager. More on that later...

Interview Questions
  • What farm animal would you choose to live as if you could?   View Answer
  • What are your weaknesses?   View Answer
The best advice I can give to people is to get your requirements figured out beforehand. Depending on the financial climate of the interviewing department, you may not be able to get a "killer offer". As a rule, Kodak tends to pay less than other companies in the Dayton area - but the perks are nice and the environment is less stressful than ends-against-the-middle tactics that many employers like to use. However, perks don't pay the bills. Depending on your personal financial situation, you may decide that you just need more money.
You must take into account the calculated trickery of the HR department. I lobbied for a raise for the promotion I was to receive but was turned down. Although I accepted the offer, one of my stipulations was based on a mutual agreement to have the promotion take place at the end of Q1 in 2009 with a customary salary increase. However, Kodak announced that there would be no raises for 2009, with only special exceptions made in "very unique" circumstances. I have been advised, however, that my circumstance is not "very unique" and I will not be receiving compensation but I will receive a promotion. The trickery is maddening. Get your offer in writing. Be firm. Seriously.

Worked for Eastman Kodak? Contribute to the Community!