Eaton Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014
Updated Sep 3, 2014

3.1

Engineer Interview

Behavioral assessment with STAR answer format. Tour of the facility was given at the end. Everyone was friendly and there seems to be a lot of room to grow with the company.

Interview Questions
    • All were challenging as they required detailed thought for every answer. They would prompt you to get the needed information if you were stuck.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tualatin, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Eaton.

I participated in a competitive selection process through the Multiple Engineering Co-Op Program (MECOP) which is available to Portland State, OIT, and Oregon State students. Once I got into the program, I participated in a second interview for placement with over 30 different companies. This interview was the culmination of previous meetings with the company including a lengthy conversation with my mentor at the MECOP Fall Event. Overall, there were two interviews and both involved several people interviewing me at once. Once I was selected by Eaton, I was ask to participate in a “getting to know you day” where I met with the engineers and was asked to tell them about myself. The company has a great corporate culture that thrives on personal responsibility and acting with honesty and conviction when it comes to everything that you do.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I was asked was what topologies of power supplies I had worked with in the past and how they were constructed and operated.   Answer Question

EHS Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Eaton in April 2014.

Interview process was very long and drawn out. I interviewed at least nine times 8 via phone and 1 face to face group panel interview. Ended up not being offered the job due to the higher ups "having questions about my mobility". If you really want to work for them you need to be willing to relocate multiple times.

Senior Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Eaton in July 2013.

Started with a phone screening - very relaxed. Discussed education and experience with corporate HR representative. Next, a phone interview with the onsite HR rep and the Engineering Supervisor - relaxed general discussion about my background with more detail than the phone screening. Finally, onsite interview - interviewed with 4 people. 95% of the questions were behavioral questions. Have answers ready.

Interview Questions
    • What was your biggest contribution to the company you currently work for?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Highland, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Eaton.

The structure of the interview was a panel interview with two different people, three times for an entry level customer service position. So you are basically, interviewing with 6 people. It was a little over the top.

It started out pretty standard, going into the duties of the job and history of the company and then them wanting to get an understanding about you, your qualifications, and them going into behavioral based questions.

The last interview consisted of interviewing with two younger managers on the third round and was the most awkward.

The first two interviews had gone decent, but the last interview was bad. One showed up almost half way through the interview, and after reviewing my resume for a moment immediately insulted me about having so many jobs in the last NINE years, it averaged about three years at each job, granted these jobs were from right out of high school to after having graduated from college to being at my current employer. Both managers who interviewed me insulted me at least twice because they were just making arrogant statements.

I came very close to just getting up and leaving because if I wasn't even employed with them and have been treated badly already then I was thinking to myself what would it be like working for these people? Due to the last two managers, this experience was terrible. Two weeks later, I received the "thanks but no thanks email." Thanks Eaton, I already found a better job.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time that you had a difficult customer and no matter what you did you could not make them happy. What were the steps you took and what was the result?   View Answer

IT Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Eaton.

At the time, Eaton was bringing on new employees as contractors, and then hiring them as full employees in 8-12 months. A recruiter matched me up with the job opening. The first step was a phone interview, followed by a test of basic electrical knowledge, and then an in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting questions about electrical principles, since my position did not involve working directly with the products we sell. If you don't have a technical background and aren't interviewing for a technical position, it's probably okay to admit you don't know the answers. That shouldn't be a deal-breaker, but it might be to your benefit to learn a little about electricity and the products Eaton sells before you interview. This may not apply to other areas, I can only speak for myself.   View Answer

Sales and Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Asheville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Eaton in April 2014.

Initial interview was held at NSBE career fair, invited to Asheville for 2nd round of interview which consisted of 1.5 days of interviewing. The first night is dinner at a sports bar. The sports bar contains a large surfboard table where candidates sit on one side and all the hiring managers and HR sit on the other side. Every 20 minutes, the managers rotate and the questions start over. They are really trying to get to know you on a personal level to see if you would be a good fit for the company. While this is a good concept, it leaves no time to eat dinner. I am very glad I anticipated this and ate before I met the group.

The second day is filled with multiple group interviews and a technical presentation to a group of approximately 10 ppl. All candidates aren't offered a position, and you are competing with the peers that you meet.

You are notified within 2 days if they are extending you an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is something you failed at and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Leadership Development Program (LDP) Human Resources Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Eaton.

Applied through the career page on my university's website. Interview was on campus a day after we had a dinner with the HR people from Eaton. I had 2 back to back interviews that last about 45 minutes each.

Interview Questions
    • Standard behavioral based interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Leadership Development Program (LDP) Technical Sales Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Eaton in October 2011.

1st interview is with (2) people with Lominger questions (i.e. Tell me about a time when you had to make a quick decision under pressure). 2nd interview, they fly you to location where you have 3 interviews, a dinner, and have to make a sales presentation to a panel of Eaton employees.

Interview Questions
    • Ethical questions: Tell me about a time where you were asked to do something that you did not believe was the right decision and how did you react.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate for LDP. You are also required to be geographically flexible, therefore you will not know where you are moving until you accept the position. LDP is for a single year and then you roll off into a full-time position.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moon Township, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moon Township, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Eaton in September 2010.

Three rounds of phone interviews, one full day on site interview. Interviewed with different engineers managers from three separate engineering centers in three different states that were loosely connected by their product interactions.

Interview Questions
    • If you found yourself to be poised to go drastically over budget or schedule on a project, how would you try to mitigate the situation?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a higher starting salary, and an addition, week of vacation, normally you only receive two weeks of vacation for the first 5 years of employment, I was able to negotiate three weeks.