Eaton

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Highland, IL

I applied online and interviewed at Eaton.

Interview Details – The structure of the interview was a panel interview with two different people, three times for an entry level customer service position. So you are basically, interviewing with 6 people. It was a little over the top.

It started out pretty standard, going into the duties of the job and history of the company and then them wanting to get an understanding about you, your qualifications, and them going into behavioral based questions.

The last interview consisted of interviewing with two younger managers on the third round and was the most awkward.

The first two interviews had gone decent, but the last interview was bad. One showed up almost half way through the interview, and after reviewing my resume for a moment immediately insulted me about having so many jobs in the last NINE years, it averaged about three years at each job, granted these jobs were from right out of high school to after having graduated from college to being at my current employer. Both managers who interviewed me insulted me at least twice because they were just making arrogant statements.

I came very close to just getting up and leaving because if I wasn't even employed with them and have been treated badly already then I was thinking to myself what would it be like working for these people? Due to the last two managers, this experience was terrible. Two weeks later, I received the "thanks but no thanks email." Thanks Eaton, I already found a better job.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time that you had a difficult customer and no matter what you did you could not make them happy. What were the steps you took and what was the result?   View Answer

IT Analyst Interview

IT Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Eaton.

Interview Details – At the time, Eaton was bringing on new employees as contractors, and then hiring them as full employees in 8-12 months. A recruiter matched me up with the job opening. The first step was a phone interview, followed by a test of basic electrical knowledge, and then an in-person interview.

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting questions about electrical principles, since my position did not involve working directly with the products we sell. If you don't have a technical background and aren't interviewing for a technical position, it's probably okay to admit you don't know the answers. That shouldn't be a deal-breaker, but it might be to your benefit to learn a little about electricity and the products Eaton sells before you interview. This may not apply to other areas, I can only speak for myself.   View Answer

Sales and Product Engineer Interview

Sales and Product Engineer
Asheville, NC

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Eaton in April 2014.

Interview Details – Initial interview was held at NSBE career fair, invited to Asheville for 2nd round of interview which consisted of 1.5 days of interviewing. The first night is dinner at a sports bar. The sports bar contains a large surfboard table where candidates sit on one side and all the hiring managers and HR sit on the other side. Every 20 minutes, the managers rotate and the questions start over. They are really trying to get to know you on a personal level to see if you would be a good fit for the company. While this is a good concept, it leaves no time to eat dinner. I am very glad I anticipated this and ate before I met the group.

The second day is filled with multiple group interviews and a technical presentation to a group of approximately 10 ppl. All candidates aren't offered a position, and you are competing with the peers that you meet.

You are notified within 2 days if they are extending you an offer.

Interview Question – What is something you failed at and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Leadership Development Program (LDP) Human Resources Interview

Leadership Development Program (LDP) Human Resources

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Eaton.

Interview Details – Applied through the career page on my university's website. Interview was on campus a day after we had a dinner with the HR people from Eaton. I had 2 back to back interviews that last about 45 minutes each.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral based interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Leadership Development Program (LDP) Technical Sales Interview

Leadership Development Program (LDP) Technical Sales

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Eaton in October 2011.

Interview Details – 1st interview is with (2) people with Lominger questions (i.e. Tell me about a time when you had to make a quick decision under pressure). 2nd interview, they fly you to location where you have 3 interviews, a dinner, and have to make a sales presentation to a panel of Eaton employees.

Interview Question – Ethical questions: Tell me about a time where you were asked to do something that you did not believe was the right decision and how did you react.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate for LDP. You are also required to be geographically flexible, therefore you will not know where you are moving until you accept the position. LDP is for a single year and then you roll off into a full-time position.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Senior Design Engineer
Moon Township, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Eaton in September 2010.

Interview Details – Three rounds of phone interviews, one full day on site interview. Interviewed with different engineers managers from three separate engineering centers in three different states that were loosely connected by their product interactions.

Interview Question – If you found yourself to be poised to go drastically over budget or schedule on a project, how would you try to mitigate the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a higher starting salary, and an addition, week of vacation, normally you only receive two weeks of vacation for the first 5 years of employment, I was able to negotiate three weeks.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Eaton in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, a phone recruiter contacted me about 4 weeks later. We scheduled a time, spoke on the phone, and she forwarded me to the hiring manager. HM contacted me, we scheduled a time to speak on the phone, spoke, then scheduled a time for an in person interview. During the face to face, I interviewed with the HM and her boss, as well as another member of the team. Two days after the face to face, I had another phone interview with manager in a different location. 4 days later the HM called me to tell me I didn't get the position. It came down to myself and an internal candidate, they went with the internal.

Overall, the process was very pleasant, professional, and moved along better than expected. The people were informative, open, and respectful. I would pursue another role at Eaton if it presented itself.

Interview Question – Pretty average 'Tell about a time when....' questions.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Eaton.

Interview Details – Phone screen with HR, Division Controller, site, etc.

Interview Question – If you were any brick in the wall; what brick would you want to be?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very limited negotiation as I was already an 'insider'.

IT Development Program(IT Lead Analyst) Interview

IT Development Program(IT Lead Analyst)
Cleveland, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Eaton in March 2012.

Interview Details – First submit your application online along with your resume and a cover letter. If you meet the minimum requirements for the position in which you applied for, you will most likely go through a phone interview with HR or the hiring manager. The phone interview is very informal and just wants to verify you seem to be a good fit for Eaton. If you get through the phone interview you will go onto second round interviews. Second round interviews vary depending on sector and function, but it will most likely be either a panel interview with about 3-4 managers or it will be 3-4 one on one interviews. These interviews are very formal and they ask you very typical behavioral questions. After the second round interview is when they will decide whether or not to hire you. It can take anywhere from a week to two weeks for them to respond.

Interview Question – The questions are very standard, just google behavioral interview questions and you will be able to find them all online. They are usually aligned with Eaton's competencies, like 'Dealing with ambiguity' or 'Driving for results'. The most difficult questions are where they ask you to demonstrate a time where you didn't display being competent in a certain area. They are very critical on these questions. Try to think of a situation where you struggled but still came out of it in a positive way.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiating because their offers within IT are very competitive. you will be hard pressed to find a company within the area that offers better benefits. One thing you may want to negotiate is location and moving assistance. If they want you they will pay for moving regardless of what is says in the description. Also, Eaton is very virtual so many times they are open to you working in a remote area.

Very Difficult Interview

Leadership Development Program (LDP) Interview

Leadership Development Program (LDP)
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Eaton in January 2010.

Interview Details – Had initial interview on campus in October. Received a call from head recruiter in January inviting me to Pittsburgh for a 2nd round interview. 2nd round interview consisted of dinner one night with a "speed dating" setup with interviewees staying in place while the Eaton employees moved from candidate to candidate every 5-10 minutes. The following day we were at the headquarters all day. We had 2 1 hour interviews and then had to give a 15 minutes presentation and Q&A with 7-10 Eaton employees present on why we should be hired. The recruiter was extremely professional, well organized, and communicated frequently to candidates. Received an offer in Mid-March.

Interview Question – I came from a business background so there was concern that it would be a challenging transition to a technical field. A few of the engineers who were evaluating candidates were especially concerned about this.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation available.