Eaton Vance Trading Assistant Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Trading Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Eaton Vance in August 2009.

I found the job posting through my college's career center, then received a call from HR. The call was less of a phone screen than it was a quick Q&A to make sure that I had a chance to get some basic questions answered before i went in to meet with people.

I went in the following week, was greeted by HR, and again given a chance to ask basic questions. I was then lead to take a math and grammar test, the kind that is easy (esp the part with a calculator) but they don't give you enough time to finish, so it's mostly about how fast you can work and how accurate you can be under pressure.

I was then taken to meet with various members of the team I would be working with, including the director. Everyone was nice, but in a no-nonsense kind of way. Each team member I met with seemed to have his or her own idea of how to evaluate me, from asking me to explain something from current events relevant to the position (drawing on my education) to asking me about how I handle international travel. At the end of the day I was given an excel test, which was pretty basic, but bit beyond simple formulas.

A week later I was asked back for another round of interviews, again for the whole day. This seemed like less of a "can he do the job?" interview and more like a "do we want to work with him?" interview. This time I meet with my potential peers on the team, who did not seem to be evaluating me, rather giving me an honest opinion about what it's like to work there. In this round, I was also asked to submit references, a transcript, and other background evidence.

A week after that I was called in to meet with one more team member who had been on vacation. A week after that, I was called by HR to tell me that it came down to me and one other guy, and they weren't giving it to me.

Interview Questions
  • (While looking at my transcript) Which class did you get your worst grade in? Why? Do you regret taking the class?   View Answer