Echo Global Logistics Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.7

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics.

I had a phone interview that seemed to go very well. The recruiter then scheduled an interview with a branch manager as well as a sales supervisor. Everything went very well. I finally had to make contact with the company to follow up. They sent a huge on boarding packet to me via email and there was a lot of scanning and returning thing to HQ in Chicago. All benefits and 401k plans are handled via online portals that are incredibly difficult to navigate.

Interview Questions
    • Managers will try to trip you up in the interview to see how you handle pressure. You will say one thing and they will twist it slightly to see if you just let it slide or if you correct them to make sure your point was taken properly and validated.   Answer Question
    Definitely try and negotiate. From my experience they will try to dupe you for as little money as possible, but you can easily get an extra $5,000 grand by negotiating.

Client Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in February 2013.

Overall a positive experience and seems like a great company to work for if you are hardworking, optimistic and energetic. I was emailed by a Recruiter for a phone interview and she set up an office visit at the end of the call. Second interview consisted of two panel type interviews. One was a little impersonal and the other was more casual, gave me a lot of high level information on the company and the position but also really drilled down on specific things on my resume and put me on the spot with some mental math problem solving.

Entry Level Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Echo Global Logistics.

Pretty easy interview process. 2 phone interviews than a final on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we choose you over other more experienced canidates?   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in September 2013.

Contacted by in-house recruiter on Linked-In regarding a Senior .Net Developer Position, and had a screen interview. Called back and spoke to head of recruiting department. After a few days, I was told I didn't have enough experience for the position, as I expected, and they would keep in touch. A month later I get contacted again to see if I was interested in a "mid-range position" since they had a hard time filling the Senior role. I agree and the next week, I had a in-person meeting with a Senior Developer, a Applications Manager, and 2nd level managers.

1st part was technical, with a guy asking things like "What kinds of joins are there?" and "What is the difference between an abstract and an interface?", basic .Net questions. This went fine, since it was easy and he seemed pretty relaxed about it.

2nd part was "culture" I am guessing, because the person I spoke too had a BA background. I was just asked basic questions about my previous jobs, favorite project, issues I have had, and so forth.

3rd was the only part I was iffy on, as it was just a discussion, which involved me having to explain my thought process on projects I had worked on, and to point out why I should have gone other routes, possible issues with that implementation, and so forth. Only thing I noticed is that he kept looking at his watch the whole interview, but he could have had a meeting. Other than that, I thought it went well.

4th part was just odd, as it was another second level manager who didn't make eye contact with me, only reading things off my resume and taking notes. It was awkward, but I saw no issue with anything I said during the process. At the end, he shook my hand, and made eye contact, for what seemed like a good 5-7 seconds, which I have to admit, through me off.

That was the onsite process, I get called the next week letting me know they didn't want to move forward and make me an offer, because I didn't go into enough detail and didn't seem to be strong enough technically for the position. Conversation finished with they would be in touch if anything else came up, because they thought "I was a great guy!"

Thinking about it now, I think what did me in was a mix of the technical and 3rd part of the interview. I could have gone into deeper details with the technical questions instead of giving stock answers, maybe talking about effect of idea or what have you, more or less I should have relayed my knowledge better.

I still think they were looking for a Senior type person (I have about 4 years of experience), but couldn't find one cheap enough, so they were hoping to get lucky with a senior level developer making less money somewhere else.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about what you have done with WCF   View Answer

National Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in June 2011.

The interview started with one of the corporate recruiters calling and chatting with me for 15 minutes or so about the position. I came from another transportation company, so I was really receptive to what she was saying. After two phone interviews I came into the job shadow with a good idea of what I was getting myself into. The manager at the time (2011) was not very easy to read and asked some very basic questions. When I sat down for the shadow with a senior rep, I was able to loosen up a bit. The interview process feels a little like you are running the gauntlet, but once it’s all said and done, you leave knowing exactly what you are getting yourself into.

Interview Questions
    • Coming from the same industry, I was asked, “If you left your previous company, why do you think you would like it here?”   View Answer
    At the time there wasn't any negotiation phase. In 2012 the process changed and it’s on the table for discussion now.

Inside Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Echo Global Logistics in September 2012.

The hiring process is kind of long--but stick with it. It is worth it. A recruiter will call you from Chicago and have a phone interview from you. (Sometimes the recruiters up there are streched a little thin, if they dont get back to you right away dont take it personally. I didnt hear from my recruiter for over a week and then found out I got my face to face and then was hired.) After that you will come in to the office for a face to face interview. You shadow a sales representative to learn about the job and then speak with both our manager and supervisor. Dont let anyone scare you away, all three of the managers in the Dallas branch are really down to Earth and easy to work for. After that you have an interview with HR and then could be offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • I interviewed with our previous manager so I do not know what the current manager's interviewing questions are like.   Answer Question

National Account Manager/Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in May 2012.

Phone interview of about 10-15 minutes. Then in person interview with the same recruiter. That day also includes about 30 minutes of job shadowing and an interview with a manager. Then you get an offer letter to begin the training program. There is no drug test but there is a background check.

Interview Questions
    • The manager asked, "why should I hire you? Why should I take that risk?" Other than that it was pretty much straightforward interviewing. No real curve balls but it does depend on who you interview with. It is a large company so it could be different.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation phase. You get an offer for 35,000 base plus commission. The problem is that you have to hit a 16k book before you can get commission. That takes about 2-3 years. Also, once you get the commission you lose the base salary.

.NET Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in July 2012.

First contacted by internal recruitment agency staffed on site. Given advice by recruiters to wear a suit, and prompt interview. Two interviews followed. First was technical, second was a meeting with more of a manager.

The first interview was done by a typical Microsoft technical guy who asked relatively easy questions which gradually got a little more difficult until they were unanswerable. Second interview was with his boss, who had no real questions of me, but seemed to want me to tapdance or do something else to impress him or make him feel important. He had not even looked at my resume before I had arrived. I got dressed up, as requested, and took a day off from my current job to be there, but they were not prepared to interview me, and seemed relatively disinterested in the whole thing from the start. He had a surprisingly negative attitude about their business and seemed to expect me to have ideas on how to improve their processes, which is hard since their business is relatively new, and I have had no exposure to it.

I was cold contacted by their recruiters on LinkedIn, so I was not actively seeking a job, just somewhat curious about their environment. Sales people there are packed together in big rooms like sardines. I was told programmers have even less space. I was not told anything with regard to what they were looking for... I think they might have disliked me, personally, from the very beginning because there was not much conversation on their end. I'm a relatively large guy, and it might be that I would not have fit into their tiny spaces.

I usually do not perform well in interviews, I'm a software developer, and this was no exception. But I feel that these interviews were more like practice on their part (they also were not good communicators) and it was unlikely they were going to hire anyone at that time anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of off-putting statements by second interviewer like, "What do you got for me?" and "you got a thing for startups?"   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in June 2010.

The interview went very well on my part, or I thought it did. The only part that was not appealing was that the girl was very distracted or it was her 100th interview of the day. She stumbled on the "script" and was not able to answer the questions that I asked. I am still confused why companies hire recruiters that do not know anything about the business world to hire for their company. I would love to know how many qualified candidates are passed on daily.

Inside Sales Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in November 2010.

They contacted me after my resume was seen on a website. Echo called to see if I was interested, which I was because I heard good things about the company. They asked if I could come in for the first interview and then at the end of the first interview they asked me to come back for a final interview a week later.