Echo Global Logistics

Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.7

Logistics Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics.

Applied online, got a call for an interview about two weeks later. Had phone interview with recruiter that went very well, then had the second phone interview with a different recruiter the next week which also went very well. They said they wanted me to come interview at their office asap so I went there the next week feeling pretty confident. Had 1:1 interviews with two different sales rep managers both of which were very unprofessional. One of the managers didn't even ask questions related to the job I was applying for and barely kept eye contact with me. Very odd interview experience. Said they would call me first thing Monday, didn't hear back for 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What isn't on your resume that you would like to tell us about.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Echo Global Logistics in September 2012.

The hiring process is kind of long--but stick with it. It is worth it. A recruiter will call you from Chicago and have a phone interview from you. (Sometimes the recruiters up there are streched a little thin, if they dont get back to you right away dont take it personally. I didnt hear from my recruiter for over a week and then found out I got my face to face and then was hired.) After that you will come in to the office for a face to face interview. You shadow a sales representative to learn about the job and then speak with both our manager and supervisor. Dont let anyone scare you away, all three of the managers in the Dallas branch are really down to Earth and easy to work for. After that you have an interview with HR and then could be offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • I interviewed with our previous manager so I do not know what the current manager's interviewing questions are like.   Answer Question

.NET Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in July 2012.

First contacted by internal recruitment agency staffed on site. Given advice by recruiters to wear a suit, and prompt interview. Two interviews followed. First was technical, second was a meeting with more of a manager.

The first interview was done by a typical Microsoft technical guy who asked relatively easy questions which gradually got a little more difficult until they were unanswerable. Second interview was with his boss, who had no real questions of me, but seemed to want me to tapdance or do something else to impress him or make him feel important. He had not even looked at my resume before I had arrived. I got dressed up, as requested, and took a day off from my current job to be there, but they were not prepared to interview me, and seemed relatively disinterested in the whole thing from the start. He had a surprisingly negative attitude about their business and seemed to expect me to have ideas on how to improve their processes, which is hard since their business is relatively new, and I have had no exposure to it.

I was cold contacted by their recruiters on LinkedIn, so I was not actively seeking a job, just somewhat curious about their environment. Sales people there are packed together in big rooms like sardines. I was told programmers have even less space. I was not told anything with regard to what they were looking for... I think they might have disliked me, personally, from the very beginning because there was not much conversation on their end. I'm a relatively large guy, and it might be that I would not have fit into their tiny spaces.

I usually do not perform well in interviews, I'm a software developer, and this was no exception. But I feel that these interviews were more like practice on their part (they also were not good communicators) and it was unlikely they were going to hire anyone at that time anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of off-putting statements by second interviewer like, "What do you got for me?" and "you got a thing for startups?"   View Answer

Carrier Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Echo Global Logistics in May 2012.

1st Phone interview. 2nd brought into interview with a recruiter. 3rd Brought in again to interview with manager and then will have you shadow a rep for 30 mins. Lastly they will reach out to you if you fill the position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Stick to team focused approaches to these answers. Also play up entrepreneur skills or tendencies.   Answer Question
    I was able to go 3000 higher than offered.
    They start at 35000 but you can swing 40000 if you have some experience.

National Account Manager/Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in May 2012.

Phone interview of about 10-15 minutes. Then in person interview with the same recruiter. That day also includes about 30 minutes of job shadowing and an interview with a manager. Then you get an offer letter to begin the training program. There is no drug test but there is a background check.

Interview Questions
    • The manager asked, "why should I hire you? Why should I take that risk?" Other than that it was pretty much straightforward interviewing. No real curve balls but it does depend on who you interview with. It is a large company so it could be different.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation phase. You get an offer for 35,000 base plus commission. The problem is that you have to hit a 16k book before you can get commission. That takes about 2-3 years. Also, once you get the commission you lose the base salary.

Logistics Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in May 2012.

Had two quick phone interviews with two different people which were fine.Then came in for an in person interview and to shadow one of the account managers. Shadowing the account manager was fine, he seemed pretty cool but what he was doing seemed so boring and monotonous - basically just tracking packages and reporting to businesses where their shipments were.The manager that interviewed me asked me typical questions "why should we choose you?", "where do you see yourself in five years", "how do you deal with frustration", etc. He came off as a really cynical jerk.

Interview Questions

There's not much thought or anything interesting in this position. You have to make about 100 cold calls a day to find any small business that wants "cheaper shipping". You have to cold call for about a year to build a customer base. This is not where I want to waste my hard earned degree on.

Logistics Sales Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in February 2012.

I came across Echo Global at a college career fair, and it seemed like a young, fun place to start my career, so I emailed the recruiter I met at the fair and received an email to set up a phone interview a few days later.

Phone interview consisted of "typical" interview questions such as "Why our company?" and "What are three characteristics you think it takes to be successful in sales?"

I received an email a few days later inviting me in for a one on one interview in the Chicago office. I was interviewed by two employees, one after the other, and then shadowed an employee for about 15 minutes. The second employee who interviewed me fired one question after the other and seemed to give little consideration to my answers, which threw me off a bit.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in February 2012.

I was referred by an internal employee to the position. I was an external candidate with a background of financial service internships. The role was very interesting and there were a lot of candidates. Like all companies should, they decided to hire an internal candidate who was more familiar with their business model and could hit the ground running. Overall, it was a great experience and I wish I could have joined the company.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty straight forward. They focused on more fit questions to see if I would meld well within the group.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in November 2011.

First interview over the phone with HR at HQ in Chicago. Second interview with branch manager in the Troy office. Third interview was with HR again in Chicago over the phone. They made me an offer and sent me an offer letter then called me two weeks later and said that they weren't going to offer me the job because they decided they weren't hiring. They then called me back a week later and said they would hire me. I was the black sheep in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. It was a pretty normal conversation. You are being interviewed by people in their mid to late 20s with hardly any managerial experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiation whatsoever. Take it or leave it mentality.

National Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Echo Global Logistics in September 2011.

First step: 10 minute HR phone screen, the classic "make sure s/he isn't a serial killer." Crisp and professional. They clearly do this every day. The 2nd step was a phone screen with the local sales manager. Again, she was thorough and professional. She asked me to make up a business and call her back the next day to pitch it at 10am. She did not break the 4th wall before, during, or after the pitch.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to create a business plan and call back to "sell" it in a 5 minute pitch.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Standard comp package. Take it or leave it.