EchoStar

Relevance Date Difficulty

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Embedded Software Engineer
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar in October 2012.

Interview Details – It was well-organized. There were six candidates and we were brought in for breakfast before being split up into two groups - one group had their interviews while the other was given a tour of the facilities. Lunch followed with the team and the groups were switched, after which we were given a small product demonstration, an overview of the benefits offered, before we were let go for the day.

My interview in itself was based on my resume for the most part, with some C code analysis thrown in.

I'm still waiting on their decision to be made.

Interview Question – Was there a time where you were required to work on behalf of other members of your team?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Embedded Software Engineer
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at EchoStar in October 2011.

Interview Details – The process started my schools (Clemson) career fair. After Talking to the two representatives they took my resume and invited me to an on campus interview the next day. Most of the questions were based off my resume with few technical questions. A few weeks later I received an email inviting me to their "career day" where they brought in about 15 other interviewees. They split us into two groups and interviewed the first group and gave the second group a tour and had them fill out some paper work. Then the two groups switched. We were fed lunch then it was over around 2pm.

The technical questions asked were along the lines of

Question: What happens when you try to free a null pointer

Question: What is the difference between a process and a thread

Question: What is the difference between the stack and the heap

Question: What is "yoda conditions"
   Answer: this is an obscure question so i'll provide an answer.

Normally you'd write an if conditional like this: if( ch1 == '_' ); however, if you use yoda conditions "if('_' == ch1) { ... }" it allows the compiler to catch the occasional typo "if('_' = ch1) { ..}" i.e. the compiler will say you cannot assign a value to a constant thus catching your error (not typing if('_' == ch1)).

Also they gave us a print out of a program with several errors and we had to identify them all and give suggestions on how to correct them. Make you know what a unit8 is and how using that could be bad for processing a string.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you try to free a null pointer   View Answer
  • What is the difference between a process and a thread   View Answer
  • What is the difference between the stack and the heap   View Answer
  • What is the deference between a semaphore and a mutex   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – Had a better offer with a better company

Worked for EchoStar? Contribute to the Community!