EchoStar Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2015

2.7

Human Resources Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EchoStar.

Interview

I had two phone interviews and two interviews by committe over a process of about a month. I was kept informed during the entire interview/recruiting process. The interview questions ranged from easy (why do you want to work here) to more difficult questions. The process involved about 13 EchoStar representatives total.

Interview Questions

• When is a time that you disagreed with your boss and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EchoStar.

Interview

Applied through college and Got a 1 hour long phone interview. Average technical questions in Java, DBMS, Linux. Was told they would get back to me in a couple days. Got a reject after 2 weeks.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at EchoStar in March 2015.

Interview

Echostar came to our university. Did a small interview there asked a programing question, I wrote the code then they asked me to apply on some specific requisition numbers. Applied and got call for telephonic interview. The same person took my interview the one met in career fair, Interviewer was friendly.

Interview Questions

• Basic java questions(oops, collections etc) and MySql questions, then 1 coding question (Simple) and few mySql queries to write from given tables.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EchoStar.

Interview

applied in the career fair and got a call for interview within a week. The interview was good. Hiring team was pretty friendly and not at all intimidating. Asked questions based on C. Tested solving skills.

Software Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EchoStar.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call and had a general phone interview and was told I'd be contacted within a week. Phone interview was a general background interview asking about personal strengths and resume questions

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EchoStar in December 2014.

Interview

Received a very short call from hr asking very basic questions, no technical questions and I doubt the interviewer would have understood anything anyways. I assume she was looking for keywords, was told I would get a call back the next week and never heard from them again. I am appalled at how unprofessional the whole thing was, seriously the least they could at least provide a polite rejection! I will not be applying to this company again.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at EchoStar (Denver, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

Had an phone interview setup. They called at the correct time to tell me because they overlooked something on my resume, that I was no longer qualified and they'd be looking at other canidates. Thanks for wasting my time.

Field Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at EchoStar.

Interview

Hiring process was pretty swift, less than two weeks, saw the ad in newspaper and I called to get information, the manager asked me to come in for the application which I did and I was called for interview the following week

Negotiation

Non negotiable

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EchoStar.

Interview

Applied online. Got the call from recruiter the next day. Nothing much from him since I had previously applied there (had to jump in with some other contracting gig due to visa constraints). So had a bit of catch up conversation with him. Next had a 45 tech screen with the hiring manager. Usual basic question during the interview (List of questions below). After around a week and half got another interview scheduled (Panel conference and coding + question on google docs). Didn't hear back from them for 3 weeks sent a mail requesting feedback and as usual no response. So called the HR a week after and was told that they are still in the process but I have seen them posting the job the same position again and again after every week.

Interview Questions

• 1st Interview (Engineering Manager): It was a phone interview.
      -Tell me about yourself
      -Project description
      -Advantages of OOPS
      -Types of modifiers in java
      -What Abstract class and interface
      -Difference between overloading vs overriding
      -Life cycle of JSP (don't forget to mention jsp are translated to servlet)
      -What is deadlock

SQL questions
      -types of joins with difference between each of them
      -get results from table with timestamp with criteria as only year not date range eg only year =2008 no
       range comparison
      -more sql queries related to above by modifying certain conditions (AND and ORDER BY clause )

They use MAC OS for their development I said I didn't work on that OS ever so he got a bit displeased with that. Plus my previous jobs were contract based jobs so he expressed his disapproval over that stating I am a job hopper. Had to clear the air out on that since I expressed that I was looking for a permanent position and looking to settle down but he still kept that in his mind the whole time.

2nd Interview (Panel over phone for 1hr + coding on google docs):
      There were two guys one was ok and the other was a definitely a junior to me in terms of experience and sounded either not that aware of the answers I gave or was just plain condescending. After that the Engineering Manager sent a set of question over google docs which were to be completed in a hour

-Types of access modifiers
      -Abstract class vs interface
      -transient vs volatile
      -Collections and how to sort objects in a collection
      -life cycle of a thread
      -life cycle of servlet and jsp
      -difference between servlets and jsps
      -difference between final, finally and finalize
      -Immutable classes eg String
      -Why is String immutable
      -What are marker interfaces
      -Garbage collection
      -Scope of beans in spring
      -What is IOC
      - Autowiring in spring
      -Types of joins
      -Difference between foreign and unique keys
      - What is hibernate session
      -Difference between Session and SessionInterface
      - What is JMS and difference between P2P and pub-sub model

Coding on google docs
      1) A site tracks the activity of its users and sends emails to users who have been active on the site recently. Given the table definition:

`users_table`(
      `id` int not null primary,
      `name` varchar not null,
      `email` varchar not null,
      ‘salary’ number,
      `last_activity_time` timestamp default null)

write three SQL statements to retrieve:

- The email addresses and names of all users who were active this year

- The ids of the 10 most recently active users

- Find the 2nd highest salary of the user

2) In a Unix-like environment, you have a directory called /var/logs. There are hundreds of log files in this directory that may or may not contain the string “error”. If you wanted to aggregate all the error messages (lines containing “error”) into a file, /tmp/errors.log, how would you do this?

3) Given a String “str”, write a Java program which will count the number of occurrences of each word in that string and print out the results. For example, given the string “Do as I say not as I do”, the output should be similar to below:

do: 2
      as: 2
      i: 2
      say: 1
      not: 1

Answer Question

Techniciam Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EchoStar (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I sent in a resume, got a phone call for an interview. I came in and took the interview, then took a drug test. A month later I took another drug test and was offered a position for less than I made at my previous job.

Interview Questions

• What I gathered from the interview was that the job was to watch TV.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They would not accept any of my counter offers. It was a strictly take it or leave it offer.