EchoStar Interview Questions

2.7

Techniciam Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at EchoStar.

I sent in a resume, got a phone call for an interview. I came in and took the interview, then took a drug test. A month later I took another drug test and was offered a position for less than I made at my previous job.

Interview Questions
    • What I gathered from the interview was that the job was to watch TV.   View Answer
    They would not accept any of my counter offers. It was a strictly take it or leave it offer.

Software Engineer Java Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at EchoStar.

Applied online. Got the call from recruiter the next day. Nothing much from him since I had previously applied there (had to jump in with some other contracting gig due to visa constraints). So had a bit of catch up conversation with him. Next had a 45 tech screen with the hiring manager. Usual basic question during the interview (List of questions below). After around a week and half got another interview scheduled (Panel conference and coding + question on google docs). Didn't hear back from them for 3 weeks sent a mail requesting feedback and as usual no response. So called the HR a week after and was told that they are still in the process but I have seen them posting the job the same position again and again after every week.

Interview Questions
    • 1st Interview (Engineering Manager): It was a phone interview.
      -Tell me about yourself
      -Project description
      -Advantages of OOPS
      -Types of modifiers in java
      -What Abstract class and interface
      -Difference between overloading vs overriding
      -Life cycle of JSP (don't forget to mention jsp are translated to servlet)
      -What is deadlock

SQL questions
      -types of joins with difference between each of them
      -get results from table with timestamp with criteria as only year not date range eg only year =2008 no
       range comparison
      -more sql queries related to above by modifying certain conditions (AND and ORDER BY clause )

They use MAC OS for their development I said I didn't work on that OS ever so he got a bit displeased with that. Plus my previous jobs were contract based jobs so he expressed his disapproval over that stating I am a job hopper. Had to clear the air out on that since I expressed that I was looking for a permanent position and looking to settle down but he still kept that in his mind the whole time.

2nd Interview (Panel over phone for 1hr + coding on google docs):
      There were two guys one was ok and the other was a definitely a junior to me in terms of experience and sounded either not that aware of the answers I gave or was just plain condescending. After that the Engineering Manager sent a set of question over google docs which were to be completed in a hour

-Types of access modifiers
      -Abstract class vs interface
      -transient vs volatile
      -Collections and how to sort objects in a collection
      -life cycle of a thread
      -life cycle of servlet and jsp
      -difference between servlets and jsps
      -difference between final, finally and finalize
      -Immutable classes eg String
      -Why is String immutable
      -What are marker interfaces
      -Garbage collection
      -Scope of beans in spring
      -What is IOC
      - Autowiring in spring
      -Types of joins
      -Difference between foreign and unique keys
      - What is hibernate session
      -Difference between Session and SessionInterface
      - What is JMS and difference between P2P and pub-sub model

Coding on google docs
      1) A site tracks the activity of its users and sends emails to users who have been active on the site recently. Given the table definition:

`users_table`(
      `id` int not null primary,
      `name` varchar not null,
      `email` varchar not null,
      ‘salary’ number,
      `last_activity_time` timestamp default null)

write three SQL statements to retrieve:

- The email addresses and names of all users who were active this year

- The ids of the 10 most recently active users

- Find the 2nd highest salary of the user

2) In a Unix-like environment, you have a directory called /var/logs. There are hundreds of log files in this directory that may or may not contain the string “error”. If you wanted to aggregate all the error messages (lines containing “error”) into a file, /tmp/errors.log, how would you do this?

3) Given a String “str”, write a Java program which will count the number of occurrences of each word in that string and print out the results. For example, given the string “Do as I say not as I do”, the output should be similar to below:

do: 2
        Answer Question

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online - interviewed at EchoStar in July 2011.

I took a test online as part of the application process, before being called for the interview. The test is a weed out. After being called to interview, I went in and there was an onsite test to check basic abilities, it was multiple choice and timed. I interviewed with 3 people all asking questions. One person was the supervisor that I'd be working under. Then, I was told that they would contact me with a decision. I got a call within a week or two.

Interview Questions
    • It's been a long time, so I don't remember many specific questions that they ask. I seem to remember that there were general questions about my work history and being asked to describe how I had handled prior work issues.   Answer Question

Program Manager II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cheyenne, WY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar in September 2011.

Excellent Interview. Very knowledge and personable. The position seems overwhelming and was able to talk through the details with the interviewers. Had a tour of the buildings. Quite easy going.

Senior Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gilbert, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gilbert, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at EchoStar in July 2012.

2 long months of getting dragged through the interviewing slop, 2 phone interviews and 3 onsite interviews, online testing as well as an online stress test, they interviewed me like i was a convict in review for parole, i was grilled by 4 people about everything from how specific equipment was used to if i was bullied in high-school, it was very intense

Interview Questions
    • the one i remember quite well because it seemed to be a trick question was "does rain reflect or absorb an RF signal"   View Answers (2)
    there was no negotiation, it was a take it or leave it offer

Embedded Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at EchoStar.

1 on site interview

Had a better offer

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at EchoStar in March 2014.

One week before the internview, calling from Echostar asks to make an appointment to have the interview. Only have one phone call interview. During the interview, they focused on the projects listed in the resume. Ask if having some experience in programming language and which projects you used them. Offer comes 3 days later.

Call Center Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online - interviewed at EchoStar.

This was a fairly easy interview, the management I met through the process were kind, but very distant. I understand why now. It is because the place is so difficult to work at with how the employees are treated that no one will close to anyone due to the constantly revolving door.

Lead Engineering Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar.

Quick turnaround if the recruiting team and department managers like you experience and education. Very friendly group to speak with and they know what questions to ask to determine if you really know what you are talking about. The panel interview was a conference call but with a large corporation that was expected.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at EchoStar in April 2013.

- Call from Hiring Manager
    - 1-1 nterview

Interview Questions

Worked for EchoStar? Contribute to the Community!