EchoStar Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2014
Updated Sep 21, 2014

2.7

Field Service Representative Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at EchoStar.

Hiring process was pretty swift, less than two weeks, saw the ad in newspaper and I called to get information, the manager asked me to come in for the application which I did and I was called for interview the following week

Non negotiable

Techniciam Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at EchoStar.

I sent in a resume, got a phone call for an interview. I came in and took the interview, then took a drug test. A month later I took another drug test and was offered a position for less than I made at my previous job.

Interview Questions
    • What I gathered from the interview was that the job was to watch TV.   View Answer
    They would not accept any of my counter offers. It was a strictly take it or leave it offer.

Software Engineer Java Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at EchoStar.

Applied online. Got the call from recruiter the next day. Nothing much from him since I had previously applied there (had to jump in with some other contracting gig due to visa constraints). So had a bit of catch up conversation with him. Next had a 45 tech screen with the hiring manager. Usual basic question during the interview (List of questions below). After around a week and half got another interview scheduled (Panel conference and coding + question on google docs). Didn't hear back from them for 3 weeks sent a mail requesting feedback and as usual no response. So called the HR a week after and was told that they are still in the process but I have seen them posting the job the same position again and again after every week.

Interview Questions
    • 1st Interview (Engineering Manager): It was a phone interview.
      -Tell me about yourself
      -Project description
      -Advantages of OOPS
      -Types of modifiers in java
      -What Abstract class and interface
      -Difference between overloading vs overriding
      -Life cycle of JSP (don't forget to mention jsp are translated to servlet)
      -What is deadlock

SQL questions
      -types of joins with difference between each of them
      -get results from table with timestamp with criteria as only year not date range eg only year =2008 no
       range comparison
      -more sql queries related to above by modifying certain conditions (AND and ORDER BY clause )

They use MAC OS for their development I said I didn't work on that OS ever so he got a bit displeased with that. Plus my previous jobs were contract based jobs so he expressed his disapproval over that stating I am a job hopper. Had to clear the air out on that since I expressed that I was looking for a permanent position and looking to settle down but he still kept that in his mind the whole time.

2nd Interview (Panel over phone for 1hr + coding on google docs):
      There were two guys one was ok and the other was a definitely a junior to me in terms of experience and sounded either not that aware of the answers I gave or was just plain condescending. After that the Engineering Manager sent a set of question over google docs which were to be completed in a hour

-Types of access modifiers
      -Abstract class vs interface
      -transient vs volatile
      -Collections and how to sort objects in a collection
      -life cycle of a thread
      -life cycle of servlet and jsp
      -difference between servlets and jsps
      -difference between final, finally and finalize
      -Immutable classes eg String
      -Why is String immutable
      -What are marker interfaces
      -Garbage collection
      -Scope of beans in spring
      -What is IOC
      - Autowiring in spring
      -Types of joins
      -Difference between foreign and unique keys
      - What is hibernate session
      -Difference between Session and SessionInterface
      - What is JMS and difference between P2P and pub-sub model

Coding on google docs
      1) A site tracks the activity of its users and sends emails to users who have been active on the site recently. Given the table definition:

`users_table`(
      `id` int not null primary,
      `name` varchar not null,
      `email` varchar not null,
      ‘salary’ number,
      `last_activity_time` timestamp default null)

write three SQL statements to retrieve:

- The email addresses and names of all users who were active this year

- The ids of the 10 most recently active users

- Find the 2nd highest salary of the user

2) In a Unix-like environment, you have a directory called /var/logs. There are hundreds of log files in this directory that may or may not contain the string “error”. If you wanted to aggregate all the error messages (lines containing “error”) into a file, /tmp/errors.log, how would you do this?

3) Given a String “str”, write a Java program which will count the number of occurrences of each word in that string and print out the results. For example, given the string “Do as I say not as I do”, the output should be similar to below:

do: 2
      as: 2
      i: 2
      say: 1
      not: 1
        Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at EchoStar.

1 on site interview

Had a better offer

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at EchoStar in March 2014.

One week before the internview, calling from Echostar asks to make an appointment to have the interview. Only have one phone call interview. During the interview, they focused on the projects listed in the resume. Ask if having some experience in programming language and which projects you used them. Offer comes 3 days later.

Call Center Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online - interviewed at EchoStar.

This was a fairly easy interview, the management I met through the process were kind, but very distant. I understand why now. It is because the place is so difficult to work at with how the employees are treated that no one will close to anyone due to the constantly revolving door.

Lead Engineering Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar.

Quick turnaround if the recruiting team and department managers like you experience and education. Very friendly group to speak with and they know what questions to ask to determine if you really know what you are talking about. The panel interview was a conference call but with a large corporation that was expected.

Engineering Technician II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 months - interviewed at EchoStar.

Submit resume, application and personality test, wait 4 months, have a phone interview, wait 3 weeks. Go in for interview with manager and team members, and take mock test. Get told they want to hire you, but wait 2 weeks for HR to finalize it. Receive offer, reject it and wait 3 more weeks for counteroffer. It is a very convoluted process currently.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, seemed to be pulled from some generic website minutes before the interview.   Answer Question
    Always reject the first offer and counteroffer. They offer some piddly salary at first to see if you take it.

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at EchoStar.

Spoke to person in career fair, got reccommendation for particular position. Applied and got interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about projects, interests and described the daily roles   View Answer

Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar.

The whole process took 6+ weeks. An initial HR phone interview. Then 2 more phone interviews engineers and manager. Then finally a face to face interview with the team. The face to face interview was 3 hours long. The first hour was getting to know the team and the processes were like a regular interview. Then 1 and 1/2 hour of technical test.

Interview Questions
    • It is not important. The technical test would determine if you get the job or not.   Answer Question

Worked for EchoStar? Contribute to the Community!