EchoStar

Updated Nov 3, 2014

2.7

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online – interviewed at EchoStar in November 2014.

Had an phone interview setup. They called at the correct time to tell me because they overlooked something on my resume, that I was no longer qualified and they'd be looking at other canidates. Thanks for wasting my time.

Field Service Representative Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at EchoStar.

Hiring process was pretty swift, less than two weeks, saw the ad in newspaper and I called to get information, the manager asked me to come in for the application which I did and I was called for interview the following week

Non negotiable

Techniciam Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EchoStar.

I sent in a resume, got a phone call for an interview. I came in and took the interview, then took a drug test. A month later I took another drug test and was offered a position for less than I made at my previous job.

Interview Questions
    • What I gathered from the interview was that the job was to watch TV.   View Answer
    They would not accept any of my counter offers. It was a strictly take it or leave it offer.

Software Engineer Java Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at EchoStar.

Applied online. Got the call from recruiter the next day. Nothing much from him since I had previously applied there (had to jump in with some other contracting gig due to visa constraints). So had a bit of catch up conversation with him. Next had a 45 tech screen with the hiring manager. Usual basic question during the interview (List of questions below). After around a week and half got another interview scheduled (Panel conference and coding + question on google docs). Didn't hear back from them for 3 weeks sent a mail requesting feedback and as usual no response. So called the HR a week after and was told that they are still in the process but I have seen them posting the job the same position again and again after every week.

Interview Questions
    • 1st Interview (Engineering Manager): It was a phone interview.
      -Tell me about yourself
      -Project description
      -Advantages of OOPS
      -Types of modifiers in java
      -What Abstract class and interface
      -Difference between overloading vs overriding
      -Life cycle of JSP (don't forget to mention jsp are translated to servlet)
      -What is deadlock

SQL questions
      -types of joins with difference between each of them
      -get results from table with timestamp with criteria as only year not date range eg only year =2008 no
       range comparison
      -more sql queries related to above by modifying certain conditions (AND and ORDER BY clause )

They use MAC OS for their development I said I didn't work on that OS ever so he got a bit displeased with that. Plus my previous jobs were contract based jobs so he expressed his disapproval over that stating I am a job hopper. Had to clear the air out on that since I expressed that I was looking for a permanent position and looking to settle down but he still kept that in his mind the whole time.

2nd Interview (Panel over phone for 1hr + coding on google docs):
      There were two guys one was ok and the other was a definitely a junior to me in terms of experience and sounded either not that aware of the answers I gave or was just plain condescending. After that the Engineering Manager sent a set of question over google docs which were to be completed in a hour

-Types of access modifiers
      -Abstract class vs interface
      -transient vs volatile
      -Collections and how to sort objects in a collection
      -life cycle of a thread
      -life cycle of servlet and jsp
      -difference between servlets and jsps
      -difference between final, finally and finalize
      -Immutable classes eg String
      -Why is String immutable
      -What are marker interfaces
      -Garbage collection
      -Scope of beans in spring
      -What is IOC
      - Autowiring in spring
      -Types of joins
      -Difference between foreign and unique keys
      - What is hibernate session
      -Difference between Session and SessionInterface
      - What is JMS and difference between P2P and pub-sub model

Coding on google docs
      1) A site tracks the activity of its users and sends emails to users who have been active on the site recently. Given the table definition:

`users_table`(
      `id` int not null primary,
      `name` varchar not null,
      `email` varchar not null,
      ‘salary’ number,
      `last_activity_time` timestamp default null)

write three SQL statements to retrieve:

- The email addresses and names of all users who were active this year

- The ids of the 10 most recently active users

- Find the 2nd highest salary of the user

2) In a Unix-like environment, you have a directory called /var/logs. There are hundreds of log files in this directory that may or may not contain the string “error”. If you wanted to aggregate all the error messages (lines containing “error”) into a file, /tmp/errors.log, how would you do this?

3) Given a String “str”, write a Java program which will count the number of occurrences of each word in that string and print out the results. For example, given the string “Do as I say not as I do”, the output should be similar to below:

do: 2
      as: 2
      i: 2
      say: 1
      not: 1
        Answer Question

Embedded C Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at EchoStar in August 2014.

Got a call from HR for screening. Basic questions about C, work experience, salary expectations, Visa sponsorship, etc. Asked them if they could speed up the process since I had another offer. After 2 days they scheduled a technical phone screen where two people asked about multithreaded programming and about my thesis. They said they would get back to me.

After a day my on-site was scheduled where they flew me out to Colarado. I was expecting my on-site to go well, but it was very poorly organized. They had reserved the conference room for only an hour. Was interviewed by Hiring manager, Senior Engineer, staff engineer. They asked the same set of questions as in the phone interview like what was my toughest project, about my thesis and C questions. Gave a code and asked me to find out mistakes which I did well. Then they asked me to write an API to get status of devices connected in series. As I was explaining to them, another group of people were knocking the door (because they had booked the conference room). So it was over, all four of us came out and then they asked if I had any other questions!

I was shocked that for asking three questions they had made me come all the way. Waste of time and effort for both myself and them. I was initially impressed that they arranged everything in a short notice but very disappointed with the way the onsite interview was conducted. They didn't even give a tour around their office. A day later I received an email saying the interview went great but they didn't want to hire me.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at EchoStar in August 2014.

Phone interview, asked about myself and some behavior questions. After this, technical questions, the interviewer speaking to fast and unclear, questions are confusing, and nothing related with algorithms and data structures.

Software Test Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at EchoStar in June 2014.

They have different hiring process depending on the team. Hiring manager was very nice and pleasant. But the team was a little difficult, they giggled a lot among each other while screening the candidate. Seems like they were pretty busy with their day to day task as well while the Interview process was in progress

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult, they asked simple programming questions and sql queries.   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EchoStar.

1 on site interview

Had a better offer

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at EchoStar in March 2014.

One week before the internview, calling from Echostar asks to make an appointment to have the interview. Only have one phone call interview. During the interview, they focused on the projects listed in the resume. Ask if having some experience in programming language and which projects you used them. Offer comes 3 days later.

Call Center Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online – interviewed at EchoStar.

This was a fairly easy interview, the management I met through the process were kind, but very distant. I understand why now. It is because the place is so difficult to work at with how the employees are treated that no one will close to anyone due to the constantly revolving door.