EchoStar

Relevance Date Difficulty

Embedded Software Engineer Intern Interview

Embedded Software Engineer Intern
Rapid City, SD

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar.

Interview Details – I interviewed with Echostar when the came to my schools career fair.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Embedded Software Engineer
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar in October 2012.

Interview Details – It was well-organized. There were six candidates and we were brought in for breakfast before being split up into two groups - one group had their interviews while the other was given a tour of the facilities. Lunch followed with the team and the groups were switched, after which we were given a small product demonstration, an overview of the benefits offered, before we were let go for the day.

My interview in itself was based on my resume for the most part, with some C code analysis thrown in.

I'm still waiting on their decision to be made.

Interview Question – Was there a time where you were required to work on behalf of other members of your team?   Answer Question

Human Resources Representative Interview

Human Resources Representative
Denver, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at EchoStar.

Interview Details – Three or four interviews. Staffing Manager, HR Rep (Peer), VP of HR. They look for education, promotability, work ethic (willing to put in the hours eve/weekends) VP of HR is a genuinely nice person, or used to be.

Negotiation Details – They agreed to slightly more, not much, then said they would consider more at review time six month later. They kept to their word and gave me more at that time.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
West Lafayette, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EchoStar in September 2012.

Interview Details – Met them at the Career Fair. Ended talking with them at the fair for around 45 minutes. With Echostar, be prepared for a technical interview. The interview itself was relaxed. They ask you about the items you put on your resume.

Interview Question – Please write some code to show you would implement a Singleton Pattern.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Engineer I
Cheyenne, WY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at EchoStar in April 2010.

Interview Details – Very informal, took 6 months of me calling every week to get information out of the company. Simple face to face interview with them concentrating on my team work skills rather than technical skills.

Interview Question – Was I looking to stay at the company longer than a year or two. I informed them that would depend on how the environment and job satisfaction was, and if compensation was adequate.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They just told me what they were offering, no negotiation.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EchoStar in April 2010.

Interview Details – interview process Moderate
On Site interview
Multiple interviewers

Interview Question – Past experience?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Embedded Software Engineer
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at EchoStar in October 2011.

Interview Details – The process started my schools (Clemson) career fair. After Talking to the two representatives they took my resume and invited me to an on campus interview the next day. Most of the questions were based off my resume with few technical questions. A few weeks later I received an email inviting me to their "career day" where they brought in about 15 other interviewees. They split us into two groups and interviewed the first group and gave the second group a tour and had them fill out some paper work. Then the two groups switched. We were fed lunch then it was over around 2pm.

The technical questions asked were along the lines of

Question: What happens when you try to free a null pointer

Question: What is the difference between a process and a thread

Question: What is the difference between the stack and the heap

Question: What is "yoda conditions"
   Answer: this is an obscure question so i'll provide an answer.

Normally you'd write an if conditional like this: if( ch1 == '_' ); however, if you use yoda conditions "if('_' == ch1) { ... }" it allows the compiler to catch the occasional typo "if('_' = ch1) { ..}" i.e. the compiler will say you cannot assign a value to a constant thus catching your error (not typing if('_' == ch1)).

Also they gave us a print out of a program with several errors and we had to identify them all and give suggestions on how to correct them. Make you know what a unit8 is and how using that could be bad for processing a string.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you try to free a null pointer   View Answer
  • What is the difference between a process and a thread   View Answer
  • What is the difference between the stack and the heap   View Answer
  • What is the deference between a semaphore and a mutex   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – Had a better offer with a better company

Sustaining Engineer Interview

Sustaining Engineer
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EchoStar in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and after sometime got an email saying that a manager would like to do a phone interview. It took some days to set up the interview time. The interview was to be about a week from the initial contact. There was some confusion with the time zone difference, so had to reschedule. At the end of the interview, the manager told me that if I do not get any response in 2 weeks, that means I am no longer considered for further interviews. By then, I figured it was the end of the road for me.

Interview Questions

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Marketing Communications Manager
Englewood, CO

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at EchoStar in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was initially interviewed over the phone, then brought in for an interview with a manager, and then asked to come back for an interview with co-workers on the team. I was then asked to meet the VP of the group. There were the usual questions.

Interview Question – Why do you wish to join EchoStar?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no opportunity to negotiate. I was told this was the only offer I would receive. I would advise doing your homework and having your facts in hand on typical salaries for this position, and to indicate if you need more money or other concessions. Benefits are not the best and this company tends to underpay many of its employees (below industry standards). Pay can be tied to job titles, which may not align with your real job duties but need to match up to job titles in their system.

Software Development Manager Interview

Software Development Manager
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar in September 2010.

Interview Details – Odd interview process. Initial screen was an online IQ test which took approx 2 hours to complete. Although I was interviewing for a management position, I suspect they probably administer this same test to everyone from call center employees to directors. Second interview was a technical phone screen which start with a series of basic programming skills questions, but after it became clear I was competent, mostly turned into a what projects have you worked on discussion. Onsite interview consisted of another IQ test, followed by a panel interview with a senior manager and two first line "managers" who probably would not have qualified as team leads in previous companies I had worked. HR contacts had declined to discuss reporting structure or salary range prior to the interview, but it became clear early in the interview that we had a disconnect on seniority level. They also distributed their benefits package to me, which indicated they covered 50% of the employees health insurance, provided up to a 2% 401k match, and no bonuses, stock options, or comp time.

Good luck guys.

Interview Question – What are some of the things you might consider when designing a database?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at EchoStar